Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to replace UPC with best Soarview & Freesat setup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

So WiFi would only really be used to update the 7 day EPG?

There are loads of things WiFi woudl be useful for. I'd recommend getting it.
    Here is a quick list

1) Downloading channel updates automatically using AutoBouquetMaker
    2) Playing content from RTE Player /TV3 Player using an Addon
    3) Any addon that requires internet access (e.g. Kodi)
    4) Transferring files to/from the box
    5) DLNA streaming. Any device connected to the same network with DLNA client capabilities (most TVs have this) can play media stored on the HDD (including recordings)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

So WiFi would only really be used to update the 7 day EPG?

No. dubrov and Zardoz have given you the answer as the reason why wifi would be important for the box. Enigma2 boxes allow you to download channel lists, picons, various plugins like RTEPlayer/Tv3 player (On Demand) etc, so thats the importance of connecting it to the internet, to make this seamless through the remote control. You can also hard wire the box to your router with a ethernet cable.

My specific quote was the reference to updating the software on the box over the internet. Its an option in the menu. Don't ever use this function because it fails a lot and you will wonder why the box wont turn back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kickinthenads

Hi all,

Great threads, lots of info. I'm actually going to bite the bullet and get rid of sky in January. What is the best combo box to get that can get all the free channels? Is there one that can install apps on it? Can you get them with a hard drive? Thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭greasepalm

when posted on wos they say do a fresh usb install and no restore settings used so its a good idea and buy a good 8gb kingston usb for flashing these boxes.

Hi

Sorry to trouble you but have you had the chance to check out if the box is capable of subtitled recordings?

I told my Dad (he's also deaf lol) about this and he said he would be interested if I could find out more about the above as £200 is an awful lot of money to be spending on something that he isn't sure would fit the bill.

I know it is a bit late but I checked this yesterday.
    I ran an old recording and was able to play subtitles via teletext (page 888).
    It looked like it was possible to select a subtitle stream but that was all that seemed to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks ks for all the replies.
    We got Sky in the main room and Ferguson 253 combo box in the other room.

I have to say I'm highly impressed with Sky! A total different league that UPC (can't get horizon where I am), no freezing, remote does what you want, GUI is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

dubrov wrote: »
    I know it is a bit late but I checked this yesterday.
    I ran an old recording and was able to play subtitles via teletext (page 888).
    It looked like it was possible to select a subtitle stream but that was all that seemed to work.

Fantastic, that's much appreciated. I will go ahead and order the Gigablue so. Would you know what image your parents box is running? (I kind of don't know what I'm talking about here, but I suppose once I get stuck into setting the box up when it arrives and learn more about OpenVIX, it'll be nice to have a point of reference)

It is currently running the latest Hades update.
    Make sure to install an internal hard drive for stable recording.
    Check out the Vix manual as it can save you a lot of time messing around.

For setting up AutobouquetMaker for the ROI, I found this thread very helpful (particularly post 13)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46470-ABM-Combine-Freesat-with-Saorview/page2

It allows you to set it up so Saorview channels appear in the list as 1,2,3,4... etc. while Freesat channels appear in the 100s, 200s, 300s etc. as normal (see )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Zardoz wrote: »
    Its 245 euro excluding vat ,its 301 inc vat.

A better option would be the Xtrend 8000 ,very nice receiver available for 236 euro delivered for a triple tuner.
    Much better software support.
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/1942/xtrend-et-8000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-und-1x-dvb-c-tuner-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52
    Thanks - I'm thinking of going with the Xtrend 8000 or 10000 over the gigablue quad box.

I have two noob questions though that I didn't get a clear answer on when looking:

1) Why the preference for Freesat + Saorview as opposed to Freesat + Saorsat?
    2) Two key things for me are 7-day EPG and series recording - research seems to indicate 7-day EPG is impossible for Freesat on "combo" boxes, is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Thanks - I'm thinking of going with the Xtrend 8000 or 10000 over the gigablue quad box.

I have two noob questions though that I didn't get a clear answer on when looking:

1) Why the preference for Freesat + Saorview as opposed to Freesat + Saorsat?
    2) Two key things for me are 7-day EPG and series recording - research seems to indicate 7-day EPG is impossible for Freesat on "combo" boxes, is that true?

1. SaorSat is in a different part of the sky to the FreeSat satellites. You would need either a second dish or a second LNB on your main dish along with DISEQC switches to change between them. AFAIK not all FreeSat boxes support DISEQC. Also SaorSat only has the RTÉ channels, no TV3, 3e, etc.

2. Linux based combo boxes, such as the Alien2 or Edision3, DO support full 7day EPG on both terrestrial and satellite channels.

2. Linux based combo boxes, such as the Alien2 or Edision3, DO support full 7day EPG on both terrestrial and satellite channels.

Cheers - what is best between the Alien2, Edison3 and Xtrend 8000?

Cheers - what is best between the Alien2, Edison3 and Xtrend 8000?

The best eh.

Theres a huge difference between all three!

First off the Amiko Alien 2 is a triple tuner, 2 satellite, 1 Saorview but does not have a broadcom chip (it has an STi chip) which most version of enigma are written for. Instead it has a ported version of enigma2.

The Edision 3+ is a triple tuner 2 satellite and 1 saorview tuner. It has a Broadcom chipset and a 1.3ghz processor. Its a lot faster than the Alien 2.

The Xtrend 8000 is just a twin satellite tuner with a Broadcom chipset.

If you are comparing all three, you are looking at the wrong set of boxes. The best is the Edision which is possibly best supported by OpenATV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

STB. wrote: »

The Edision 3+ is a triple tuner 2 satellite and 1 saorview tuner. It has a Broadcom chipset and a 1.3ghz processor. Its a lot faster than the Alien 2.

If you are comparing all three, you are looking at the wrong set of boxes. The best is the Edision which is possibly best supported by OpenATV.

The Xtrend 8000 is actually available in twin and triple tuner variations ,of any tuner combination too ,its almost the same spec as the Edision ,same processor speed,same amount of Ram.
    The Xtrend has a larger flash memory,512MB vs 256MB.

I'd argue that the Xtrend is a better supported receiver too,has official Vix ,Openatv and Pli support .

The best eh.

Theres a huge difference between all three!

First off the Amiko Alien 2 is a triple tuner, 2 satellite, 1 Saorview but does not have a broadcom chip (it has an STi chip) which most version of enigma are written for. Instead it has a ported version of enigma2.

Thanks!

I think I need 2 satellite and 1 saorview tuner - maximum I would be recording something on saorview, recording something satellite and watching another (rare) or watching something saorview and recording 2 satellite... although in fairness, it's usually not even that much, but I'd like the option.

As Zardoz says I did see a triple tuner xtrend, but the price seems way higher than the Edison; I'd like a well spec'd box, but I don't need anything too crazy - just something that I won't have to replace in 2 or 3 years. So if the Edison is well supported and way cheaper, I'd go for that.

Thanks!

I think I need 2 satellite and 1 saorview tuner - maximum I would be recording something on saorview, recording something satellite and watching another (rare) or watching something saorview and recording 2 satellite... although in fairness, it's usually not even that much, but I'd like the option.

As Zardoz says I did see a triple tuner xtrend, but the price seems way higher than the Edison; I'd like a well spec'd box, but I don't need anything too crazy - just something that I won't have to replace in 2 or 3 years. So if the Edison is well supported and way cheaper, I'd go for that.

Not sure where you are seeing the Xtrend being way more than the Edision,its almost the same price.
    The Xtrend is only 237 euro delivered from here for the triple tuner
    https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdtv-receiver-sat/xtrend/1942/xtrend-et-8000-hd-2x-dvb-s2-und-1x-dvb-c-tuner-pvr-ready-linux-full-hd-hbbtv-receiver?c=52

• Advertisement

Not sure where you are seeing the Xtrend being way more than the Edision,its almost the same price.
    I was looking ex VAT :(

The Xtrend 8000 is actually available in twin and triple tuner variations ,of any tuner combination too ,its almost the same spec as the Edision ,same processor speed,same amount of Ram.
    The Xtrend has a larger flash memory,512MB vs 256MB.

I'd argue that the Xtrend is a better supported receiver too,has official Vix ,Openatv and Pli support .

I wasnt aware the 8000 was available as a triple. The Hubtech tuff (Xtrend) is very well made. If the price diff is 20 euro or less then I'd go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

Just wondering if this should have the DVD-T2 tuner and not the DVB-T for Saorview?

delboy76 wrote: »
    Just wondering if this should have the DVD-T2 tuner and not the DVB-T for Saorview?
    DVB-T tuner is fine for Saorview but the DVB-T2 tuner is only 10 euro more if you want to future proof it .

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

The best endorsement I can give for the Xtrend ET8000 is from my wife: “This is a million times better than the old box” - They should put that on the promotional material.

Very happy with mine a month on, haven’t had a single crash, freeze or lockup, it has handled everything I have thrown at it. The OpenPLi support is key for me. As others have said, the silver colour is better in real life, it looks very like a DVD player.

Regarding the tuners I had a good bit of confusion with hm-sat. The DVB-C/T option seems to be either a DVB-C tuner or a DVB-T. The hybrid option is DVB-C/T2, this is what I have and it works perfectly for Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Cerdito wrote: »
    The best endorsement I can give for the Xtrend ET8000 is from my wife: “This is a million times better than the old box” - They should put that on the promotional material.

Very happy with mine a month on, haven’t had a single crash, freeze or lockup, it has handled everything I have thrown at it. The OpenPLi support is key for me. As others have said, the silver colour is better in real life, it looks very like a DVD player.

Regarding the tuners I had a good bit of confusion with hm-sat. The DVB-C/T option seems to be either a DVB-C tuner or a DVB-T. The hybrid option is DVB-C/T2, this is what I have and it works perfectly for Saorview.

T2 tuner is required for Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

DVB-T tuner is fine for Saorview but the DVB-T2 tuner is only 10 euro more if you want to future proof it .

Do you have a link to that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

steveon wrote: »
    T2 tuner is required for Saorview

No it isn't.

You can't future proof as no one knows the future. DVB -T2 decoder will present proof it for UK and some other countries transmissions. But Germany is soon going HEVC. So future proofing should really include HEVC in case Ireland decides to follow this lead some time in the future. But you can't get sets with HEVC decoders yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

winston_1 wrote: »
    But you can't get sets with HEVC decoders yet anyway.
    UHD TVs? They're flying off the shelves in Germany.

The Cush wrote: »
    UHD TVs? They're flying off the shelves in Germany.

OK, I really meant you can't get them in the UK and Ireland (easily).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

winston_1 wrote: »
    OK, I really meant you can't get them in the UK and Ireland (easily).

Don't know about the UK but here even Aldi are selling them, they had one for €400 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Cush wrote: »
    Don't know about the UK but here even Aldi are selling them, they had one for €400 a few weeks ago.
    Doing another 4K UHD 48" next Thur 26th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Cerdito wrote: »

I just pulled the trigger on the xTrend et8000 with the hope that my missus says the same thing!! I have the Amiko Alien 2 so hoping its a huge improvement on it.

Ordered off WOS for 236euro with openvix pre-installed as I love the Slyk Sky 1 HD skin and it looks like sky which will make the missus happy!!

How has the box been so far. What image are you currently using?

BobbyT28

vix is a very popular user friendly image you will like.

• Advertisement

I am lost as to why he has bought another box.

I gave him a link to the Vix ported version for the SH4 boxes!

The reason I got another box was to run openvix natively and the boost in performance over aa2 which suffers badly on the performance side of things.

Just not enough ram as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for all the advise and feedback.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

Hi,
    Just wondering if the ET10000 would be much better since the flash and ram are boubled from the et8000? Love to have the cash to try one of these. Maybe after Xmas!!!

Ken.

delboy76 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if the ET10000 would be much better since the flash and ram are boubled from the et8000? Love to have the cash to try one of these. Maybe after Xmas!!!

Ken.

Only real difference I see is that it has 2GB of ram and 1GB flash storage.

Couldn't strech the budget that much unfortunatly, Wife wouldn't let me!! :P

BobbyT28

Its not a true Vix image STB ,its a cobbled together image developed by a retailer in the UK.
    Its mostly Openatv code modified to look like Vix .
    It doesn't run well on the Alien 2 to be honest ,its too heavy an image for the Alien .
    Ordered off WOS for 236euro with openvix pre-installed as I love the Slyk Sky 1 HD skin

I personally dont understand the love for Sky skins,they are horrible looking.
    The Sky Gui is much poorer than some of the better Enigma 2 skins ,why anyone would want to use a Sky skin is beyond me.

The Xtrend is a good upgrade though .

Its not a true Vix image STB ,its a cobbled together image developed by a retailer in the UK.
    It doesn't run well on the Alien 2 to be honest ,its too heavy an image for the Alien .

I personally dont understand the love for Sky skins,they are horrible looking.
    The Sky Gui is much poorer than some of the better Enigma 2 skins ,why anyone would want to use a Sky skin is beyond me.

The Xtrend is a good upgrade though .

The only reason I am using the Sky skin is to keep the wife happy!! hahaha. I'm not made on it myself but I must the skin looks lovely.

What skin you using? I am using Kerni on my AA2 ATM, lovely snappy skin.

Yeah I'm hoping the xtrend is a nice upgrade. Have you much experience with them?

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Placed order for xtrend 8000. Gonna buy hdd seperately. Will a 2.5 or 3.5 inch fit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Is there somewhere you can see demos of these boxes operating ?

Anyone know how much it would cost to have a dish and aerial fitted for saorview / freesat ?

Oh for sure, you probably know my attitude to SH4 boxes and ported E2 images, I don't think they are a good intro to E2. I was just answering the question of who wanted a ViX like image for his Sh4 box! If you are going to run E2 images get a MIPS box has always been my mantra and never ever buy a cloned box.

OpenATV, OpenVix Openpli all part of OE-alliance.

I have recently moved to OpenATV from Vix and it is so much more powerful.

• Advertisement

powerful in what way as i only use vix.

greasepalm wrote: »
    powerful in what way as i only use vix.

Have you seen the Usage & GUI Option in OpenATV ?

Hotkeys one of the best features I have never found in Vix.

Metrix HD Skin. So clear.

Oh for sure, you probably know my attitude to SH4 boxes and ported E2 images, I don't think they are a good intro to E2. I was just answering the question of who wanted a ViX like image for his Sh4 box! If you are going to run E2 images get a MIPS box has always been my mantra and never ever buy a cloned box.

OpenATV, OpenVix Openpli all part of OE-alliance.

I have recently moved to OpenATV from Vix and it is so much more powerful.

I prefer Openatv to Vix too.

To be honest Vix is an overated image ,youd think their developers had invented Enigma 2 they way they go on.
    If OpenPLi had never decided to honour the GPL license and make all their sources public, then today there wouldn't be a VIX .
    I dont like its commercial link to a certain retailer either or its attempts to destroy clone receivers.

my issue with clones are how safe are they as corners cut in dropping price and if you buy one thinking its an original and getting bricked.

greasepalm wrote: »
    my issue with clones are how safe are they as corners cut in dropping price and if you buy one thinking its an original and getting bricked.

When you mean safe are you referring to the myth that the clone receiver will randomly self combust and burn your house down ?;)

Most of the cost of the receiver goes into R&D ,the actual manufacturing cost of a receiver is actually pretty low and most of the clones are coming out of the same factories as the originals so there is very little difference in manufacturing quality nowadays.

Sure,I understand companies put alot of money into R&D and its not really fair that their designs are reverse engineered and cloned ,I will always buy an original receiver myself.
    However some people have limited budgets and its a bit nasty for an image developer to knowingly brick their receiver.

Original receivers are now very reasonable anyway and the difference in cost between a clone and an original is now so little that an original receiver is a much better buy long term .

Advertisement