Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Join Saorview & Sky magic eye cables

• 04-10-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

I have two coax cables going to my upstairs TV.

One is from an aerial in the attic for saorview.

The other goes to the downstairs Sky box.

When I want to watch Sky upstairs, I just swap out the cables as obviously the TV has only one aerial input.

Is it possible to join both cables and have Saorview & the Sky signal available without having to keep swapping the cables in and out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

No, a TV/FM diplexer is no use, just use an ordinary 2-way splitter/combiner or, if there's a Saorview feed at the downstairs TV, you can plug that into the Sky box RF-in & both signals will be carried on the feed from the RF-out.

No saorview feed at downstairs TV unfortunately and don't fancy using a one-for-all aerial or the likes.

So this will do the trick ya?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-WAY-COAXIAL-CABLE-SPLITTER-COMBINER-KIT-FOR-TV-FREEVIEW-RF-SATELLITE-BROADBAND-/361126947820?hash=item5414d7ebec

It's a bit crude looking. Splitters I'm familiar with have a larger body to house whatever elements they contain to minimise signal reflections.

I'd go for something like this one. If you want to put the 'eye' between splitter & TV, I'd use one like this with power pass on only 1 leg, but if you keep the eye on the other side of the splitter, it won't matter if both legs or none pass power.

So i'd connect the saorview aerial to one "out" section of the splitter and the "eye" cable into the power pass one, and then the "in" section goes to the magic eye and that goes into the TV aerial socket, correct? :D

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

So i'd connect the saorview aerial to one "out" section of the splitter and the "eye" cable into the power pass one, and then the "in" section goes to the magic eye and that goes into the TV aerial socket, correct?

Yeah, it should work like that or, if you find the splitter causes problems with the remote control signal from the eye getting back to the Sky box, you can move the eye upstream of the splitter.

And hopefully also there won't be any noticeable effects on the Sky RF or Saorview signals.

Thanks for the advice sir! :)

This has worked a treat. Thanks for the help with it.

One small issue, on one TV, the magic eye seems to be struggling a bit.

I know the cable run is quite long, but it picks up Saorview and the Sky TV signal with no issue and the red LED lights up on the magic eye. It takes a couple of button presses on the remote to change the channel, as if the eye is struggling. Do ya think it could be the long cable run is the issue, or a faulty magic eye?

... on one TV, the magic eye seems to be struggling a bit.

I know the cable run is quite long, but it picks up Saorview and the Sky TV signal with no issue and the red LED lights up on the magic eye. It takes a couple of button presses on the remote to change the channel, as if the eye is struggling.?

If this is a different TV to the one the thread has dealt with so far, how is it fed in relation to the TV we've been dealing with?

If it's the same TV, & the splitter is near the TV, with the eye connected between splitter & TV, try moving the eye to the other side of the splitter, as I mentioned already in anticipation of such a problem.

Sorted! :) Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement