Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump constantly running...

Options
  • 19-05-2015 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hope somebody can help me.
    My water pump used to keep coming on and off for approx 5secs at ten minute intervals.
    When I came home from work it was off and now pressure in the hw taps.
    Ran the taps until the pump kicked in and now it won't switch off!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What make / model pump is it?
    If the pump is constantly running, turn of the electricity to the pump, otherwise it will get badly damaged.
    From what you describe it could be one of a number of things wrong.
    Non return valve stuck open, flow switch stuck on, pressure switch failure, printed circuit board relay stuck in on position, or a loss of pressure / leak somewhere.
    Really need to get someone out to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ray.g

If you have a valve on the outlet, you can turn it off to test if you have a leak. If it's a leak causing the pump to run constant then the pump should shut off automatically. If not then best get it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pauly72

Stuart Turner is the model.
    I'm hoping it's not the actual pump but I have that turned off at the mains.
    Pressure in the expansion vessel is 1.5psi when the pump is turned off should I put more air in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pauly72

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What make / model pump is it?
    If the pump is constantly running, turn of the electricity to the pump, otherwise it will get badly damaged.
    Non return valve stuck open, flow switch stuck on, pressure switch failure, printed circuit board relay stuck in on position, or a loss of pressure / leak somewhere.

Definitely not a leak. But am kind of hoping I can fix this without calling a plumber

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

K.Flyer wrote: »

If it's a Stuart Turner, then one of the above applies.
    Pauly72 wrote: »
    Stuart Turner is the model.
    I'm hoping it's not the actual pump but I have that turned off at the mains.
    Pressure in the expansion vessel is 1.5psi when the pump is turned off should I put more air in?

How to test the vessel...
    Turn off the pump at the mains.
    Turn off the water supply valve to the pump.
    Turn on and leave on bath taps and wash hand basin taps to release any pressure.
    Check pressure on the pump expansion vessel.
    Pump vessel pressure should be approx 0.90 bar. adjust as required. Allow 10 mins and recheck pressure to ensure vessel membrane is not leaking.
    Turn on water supply to pump, close taps, turn on electric supply and run taps to check all is working.
    The pump you have is a very repairable pump and very rarely needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement