Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect IP camera using Vodafone 3G Dongle

Options
  • 01-04-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am having an issue connecting an IP camera to the internet to use as a cow cam in the shed. In my house I can have it working off UPC without issue but when trying to connect to 3G dongle in the country I cannot get the router to see it. If I connect Dongle Vodafone model R206 to my laptop it sees it fine but I cannot get the dongle to connect to the router through the USB port, all it seems to do is charge it. Even if I set it up to work 3G/4G mode only. I also have a Vodafone R209-Z but I cannot get that to function at all.

I have the camera connected via RJ-45 to a Dual band Wifi extender in client mode, which connects via WPS to the TP-Link TL-MR3420 router. If I plug the router directly to the UPC Horizon box it works fine. Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check the P address on the WAN (Vodafones) side of the connection and make a note of it then go to whatismyip.com and see what the IP address is and if they are different it won't work. The WAN IP address is the IP address in the 3G/4G section of the routers status page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

my3cents wrote: »
    Check the P address on the WAN (Vodafones) side of the connection and make a note of it then go to whatismyip.com and see what the IP address is and if they are different it won't work. The WAN IP address is the IP address in the 3G/4G section of the routers status page.

Not really the issue for the moment, he cant get the router to see the dongle.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    Hi all, I am having an issue connecting an IP camera to the internet to use as a cow cam in the shed. In my house I can have it working off UPC without issue but when trying to connect to 3G dongle in the country I cannot get the router to see it. If I connect Dongle Vodafone model R206 to my laptop it sees it fine but I cannot get the dongle to connect to the router through the USB port, all it seems to do is charge it. Even if I set it up to work 3G/4G mode only. I also have a Vodafone R209-Z but I cannot get that to function at all.

I have the camera connected via RJ-45 to a Dual band Wifi extender in client mode, which connects via WPS to the TP-Link TL-MR3420 router. If I plug the router directly to the UPC Horizon box it works fine. Anyone any suggestions?
    Have you checked the compatibility of the dongle with the router? You may need to update the routers firmware, or it just may not be able to use that dongle. Most routers have a compatibility list.

EDIT: heres your problem, the R206 is a WiFi hotspot, NOT a USB dongle, it has no USB modem functionality. I'm guessing when you had it plugged into the laptop you were still connecting using wifi?

Sorry don't know why I missed that but if the dongle is charging then its probably a MiFi device that's unlikely to be compatible with the router.

Obviously handy to know what the dongle is and the version V1 or V2 of the TP-Link TL-MR3420 router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

my3cents wrote: »

I have a similar situation - I had no idea that this would be the case when i signed up for the 3G service - is it double NATted or something? Can I call the provider to change this? This service will be useless for me if I can't get into devices on my LAN.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I have a similar situation - I had no idea that this would be the case when i signed up for the 3G service - is it double NATted or something? Can I call the provider to change this? This service will be useless for me if I can't get into devices on my LAN.

Nate

Your provider should be able to give you an external IP if it is a dedicated internet only SIM, they won't do it with a voice SIM.

• Advertisement

Nate

Depends on the provider and the service, you'll get more joy of your bill pay than prepay. Three for example have been changing people over to a NATed service without saying anything but will change you back if you request it probably better going through the three:reps here rather than phoning India

Well you learn something new every day - it seems Meteor use CGNAT (never heard of it before) https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6598

I'll have to ring on Tuesday I think. Not hopeful....

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

Cant be done

mobile networks providers are blocking all public IP Traffic

paconnors wrote: »
    Cant be done

mobile networks providers are blocking all public IP Traffic

No they don't if you have a public IP address. If they blocked all of it you wouldn't be reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

paconnors wrote: »
    Cant be done

??

of course it can

• Advertisement

They aren't Blocking per se. They just are unwilling to spend the money for proper Public IP addresses. They use a reduced amount of public IP and NAT through them. Effectively breaking WAN to LAN communications.

Cheapskates.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They aren't Blocking per se. They just are unwilling to spend the money for proper Public IP addresses. They use a reduced amount of public IP and NAT through them. Effectively breaking WAN to LAN communications.

Cheapskates.

Nate

ipv4 addresses are getting a bit scarce - most smartphones n other mobile devices get along just fine behind nat

so they are not being cheapskates - they are being responsible/wise etc

ARIN is now down to their final /8 equivalent block of IPv4 addresses.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2226785/cisco-subnet/arin-enters-phase-4-of-ipv4-exhaustion.html

gctest50 wrote: »
    ipv4 addresses are getting a bit scarce - most smartphones n other mobile devices get along just fine behind nat

so they are not being cheapskates - they are being responsible/wise etc

I understand that, yet all other Broadband providers in the country do offer true Public IPs.

At the very least if they are marketing a broadbang service (Not just a phone connection) they should offer public IPs. Breaking WAN to LAN communication is not acceptable.

It is even less acceptable that this limitation is also not advertised with that product. Meteor at least acknowledged this when I spoke to them, and will be implementing it, but no time-scale was given.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I understand that, yet all other Broadband providers in the country do offer true Public IPs.

At the very least if they are marketing a broadbang service (Not just a phone connection) they should offer public IPs. Breaking WAN to LAN communication is not acceptable.

It is even less acceptable that this limitation is also not advertised with that product. Meteor at least acknowledged this when I spoke to them, and will be implementing it, but no time-scale was given.

Nate

This is one of the reasons why mobile shouldn't be allowed advertise as being broadband and is classed as midband on here

Advertisement