Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor post pay carrier grade NAT

Options
  • 01-04-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I'm in a rural area on Meteor 3G post pay which was fine until they recently swapped the dynamic public IP assignments for carrier grade NAT which breaks lots of things. It also made the service slow and unreliable.

It's now useless to me so does anyone know which 3G/4G providers are still dishing out publicly routable IP's on post pay connections?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

carsQhere wrote: »
    I'm in a rural area on Meteor 3G post pay which was fine until they recently swapped the dynamic public IP assignments for carrier grade NAT which breaks lots of things. It also made the service slow and unreliable.

It's now useless to me so does anyone know which 3G/4G providers are still dishing out publicly routable IP's on post pay connections?

have you contacted meteor to ask them if they will make your sim public IP? I know three will do this for you if you ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Yes, rang Meteor customer service. The agent was polite and tried really hard to help but he didn't know what NAT was so I had to brief him and in turn he got on to the "technical team" to put the query to them. He came back with "it can't be done" & the suggestion that I file a complaint which I did.

Tried all the public facing Meteor/e-mobile/Eircom APN's I know of, all returning CGNAT IP's. Previously it was only the pre-pay stuff they NATed.

It's a pity because the service was perfectly adequate until they poisoned it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

carsQhere wrote: »
    Tried all the public facing Meteor/e-mobile/Eircom APN's I know of, all returning CGNAT IP's. Previously it was only the pre-pay stuff they NATed.

how can you tell what a CGNAT ip?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Carrier grade NAT is defined in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6598 as the range 100.64.0.0/10

It's NAT on steroids basically. Wikipedia has a fairly good high level overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Has anything changed in this regard lately ?
    I'd consider trying meteor again if i could get a public IP - My IP Cameras won't work behind NAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

dunno but a workaround of sorts may be to have [url="http://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/]teamviewer[/url] running on a low power x86 based linux/windows pc (not ARM6/7) and then install teamviewer on your phone/tablet and remote into pc to view/control ip cameras from the linux/windows desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

TeamViewer does indeed work with carrier grade NAT, plus it's free for home use and the simplest option I can think of also.

If you need to accept incoming connections for other applications (e.g. home server), another option would be to get a VPN service that provides a public or static IP address, such as PureVPNs dedicated IP service. Note that most privacy VPN services run a carrier grade NAT, which would be of no use for incoming connections.

For a PC, it would then be just a matter of configuring the VPN to automatically connect on Windows start-up. The IP address the VPN assigns is what you then connect to from elsewhere.

For a hardware device such as CCTV, you would either need a VPN capable router or share the PC's VPN connection with another network connection. For example, if the PC is connected to the mobile broadband dongle over Wi-Fi, you would share the VPN connection with the PC's Ethernet port, which would then connect directly to the CCTV recording unit's Ethernet port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

editorsean wrote: »
    For a hardware device such as CCTV, you would either need a VPN capable router ...
    I've done this for a satellite link - Check out the price difference for the privilege of having a public IP on those services!
    I installed openwrt on a tp-link TL-WR741ND and created an openvpn link to a small VPS. I then forwarded the connection from the public IP down the openvpn tunnel through to the PVR on the private network. Being satellite, it takes a few seconds to establish the connection, but it works well from a browser as well as from the android and ios IP camera apps.

It was cheaper for me to set this up myself as I already had the VPS anyway, but the big problem is that most people selling VPN services are trying to help people to hide instead of make themselves visible!

Advertisement