Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY v Chorus

Options
  • 23-02-2005 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭

Just another anti-Chorus rant.

I live in Greystones in a small estate of 24 houses. Years ago Chorus took over CMI as cable service providers in the area. It was besotted with problems. In Dec. 2002 I had enough of Chorus and moved to SKY - best decision I ever made despite the downsides [ no ITV, C4 ].

We must have made hundreds of calls to Chorus, they actually got to know my wife as she was on to them so often reporting problems. We lost service on 2 consecutive Christmas Days. To provide SKY Sports they inserted this metal pipe in the cable running from the wall and this provided 2 Sky Sports channels unscrambled but you'd barely notice that it was unscrambled :-) They tried to provide the PremPlus service also, more often than not when I ordered a game, it failed to appear.

When I rang Chorus in Dec. 2002 to get disconnected , I was promised all sorts...soon to be Digital and crystal clear service blah, blah, blah, 3 months free service if I stay blah, blah, blah.

Today, my wife was speaking to a neighbour. Seems things are exactly the same now as then. This neighbour and another have now ordered SKY also. I think at least half of the 24 houses now have dishes.

Makes me sick to hear Chorus ads on the radio.

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

I used to be with chorus as well, finally had enough of them and called to get disconnected. 3 months later they disconect. and then send me out a bill for the 3 months. told them to get stuffed :p Will never get cable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

Eigrod,

Been there. I'm in Greystones as well, though not in your estate!!

It was a no brainer to move to Sky as there was not much difference in the monthly basic sub and the digital quality was infinitely better.

Only thing Sky did not tell me was that I could not record one programme while watching another, then conveniently mentioned Sky+.

Overall, I'm relatively happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Chorus are well know to have a dreadful customer service..my Dad has Chorus and Sky in Limerick and is only holding on until ITV/C4 goes on Sky...I have advised him to get a freeview card from the UK...

Chorus digital as a service is shockingly bad...its nearly as expensive as Sky for much less content...the picture is dreadful...you get charged full sky sports rates and you dont get sky sports extra..the epg and box software is clunky, slow and ugly.

Have only very limited experience of NTL digital..so can't compare here.

Sky have this thing won hands down..Sky+ is a revolution in television viewing and now that multiroom is getting more affordable the Chorus/NTL argument in this area is shot.

Its a no brainer really if you are deciding....Sky is the clear winner in this market.

Advertisement