Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One thing to improve Galway?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thanks for your response. I have not looked ta BE timetable for quite some time but I don't know how many of their inter city services are direct and non stop to/from Dublin. I know they are required to provide a social service and run buses that end up not being competitive. But why wouldn't BE not get involved in these types of services? They could offer times/services to Dublin not offered by the other two companies. Even on a trial run?

Funnily enough, BÉ actually did a trial a while back, and started offering an hourly service at the end of March, with every 2nd bus being an express, and services from 6:30am - 9:30pm.

Fares are competitive with CL/GB.

My full write up of the change is here: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2014/03/bus-eireann-galway-dublin-bus-service-improvements.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Funnily enough, BÉ actually did a trial a while back, and started offering an hourly service at the end of March, with every 2nd bus being an express, and services from 6:30am - 9:30pm.

Fares are competitive with CL/GB.

My full write up of the change is here: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2014/03/bus-eireann-galway-dublin-bus-service-improvements.html

Yes but the express service stops in Athlone and Loughrea and B'Sloe. Each one of these stops takes about 10 minutes at the minimum and not factoring in the traffic delays in getting into Loughrea and B'Sloe. So with three stops we are looking at an extra 1/2 hour on the journey.

They are still behind the times. Reluctant to meet challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Crazy mad scientist idea. Build a device that keeps galway summery 10 months of the year and nice and wintery snow and all for the market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

A place in town where people can pick up any post deliveries they missed. sooooooo far away

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whoops_jimmy

1.a bike route from town out to barna/furbo/spiddal
    2.more frequent bus services to barna/furbo/spiddal
    3.more food markets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

a coastal protection scheme with an incorporated walking and cycle path from Blackrock to Barna is in the works, they've already done the ground investigations and funding is there.. I was in touch with a council engineer about it late last year and she said that once the geotechnical work was signed off that the digging would start this spring but then we've had the storm damage so maybe that's thrown a spanner in there..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

sea_monkey wrote: »
    A place in town where people can pick up any post deliveries they missed. sooooooo far away

Had to walk from salthill and back there one day. Absolutely wrecked my feet in my Penneys shoes, that was last Sept and I still have blood blisters from it lol! +1

2.more frequent bus services to barna/furbo/spiddal
    3.more food markets

I agree seems like they cut the red bus that was going out to Barna, such a shame. They also cut the red bus going from knocknacarra/cappagh to salthill meaning every pensioner in the area has to get a taxi to pick up their money at the PO. Not one bus going to Salthill from that whole area its crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

sea_monkey wrote: »

Slightly off topic but they are now open till 7pm which should help, I know I've left work early on a few occasions to get there before 5:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

employ a security force to go around and stopping lads tucking their pants into their socks.

it looks ****ing ridiculous.

• Advertisement

arf91 wrote: »
    I agree seems like they cut the red bus that was going out to Barna, such a shame. They also cut the red bus going from knocknacarra/cappagh to salthill meaning every pensioner in the area has to get a taxi to pick up their money at the PO. Not one bus going to Salthill from that whole area its crazy!

Eh? 414 is still on CityDirect's timetable - http://www.citydirectgalway.ie/index.php?page=fouronefour#.U1TqivldWX8 Not many services each day, and Mon - Fri only. But I definitely saw one the other week.

arf91 wrote: »
    They also cut the red bus going from knocknacarra/cappagh to salthill meaning every pensioner in the area has to get a taxi to pick up their money at the PO. Not one bus going to Salthill from that whole area its crazy!

Presumably due to lack of use.

Pensioners are smart people, they can get their money put into their bank accounts.

Eh? 414 is still on CityDirect's timetable - http://www.citydirectgalway.ie/index.php?page=fouronefour#.U1TqivldWX8 Not many services each day, and Mon - Fri only. But I definitely saw one the other week.

Presumably due to lack of use.

Pensioners are smart people, they can get their money put into their bank accounts.

Ah ok. I had asked bus drivers from bus eireann and city direct and they both said there wasnt any. There are only 3 buses on that timetable although its better than nothing I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Slightly off topic but they are now open till 7pm which should help, I know I've left work early on a few occasions to get there before 5:30.

Yeah but when you don't drive it can be impossible. Some things are only held for 3 days so you have to pay the 3euro redelivery and hope you can be in that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

jkforde wrote: »
    a coastal protection scheme with an incorporated walking and cycle path from Blackrock to Barna is in the works, they've already done the ground investigations and funding is there.. I was in touch with a council engineer about it late last year and she said that once the geotechnical work was signed off that the digging would start this spring but then we've had the storm damage so maybe that's thrown a spanner in there..

That's not my understanding.

Last time I heard, Galway City Council was planning a pedestrian-only path that would specifically exclude cyclists.

I'm open to correction on that point, though. It was a daft notion in the first place, and maybe someone has seen the light...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 de-dan

I think a bit of urban regeneration wouldn't go astray on Dominic street.

I currently live overlooking the street and most of the buildings could do with a lick of paint at the very least.

The street itself, from Monroes up to where Deli la Tasca has just opened could be pedestrianised as there are other routes that the traffic could take without too much disruption eg. Muster avenue.

From speaking to a friend who deals with tourists daily in his job, he says if he recommends a bar or restaurant on this side of the bridge they often come back saying they got as far as Monroes but turned back as they didn't like the look of the area.

With the newly developed area outside Gourmet
    Tart and up along by the Salt House a noticeable improvement, it would ( in my opinion anyways) be nice to see a similar approach taken to the rest of the street, but fully pedestrianised.

The paths are tiny and you often have to step out on the road to pass people, the street is a disaster at night once pubs are busy people tend to stand in the middle of the road anyways and with taxis backed up round the corner all beeping till 3 in the morning or after.

I also think that if it were to be developed in this way it would attract more businesses that could fill up some of the empty units.

Rant over! Any ideas or thoughts on this or am I mad ha?

You're right. But lots of the natives won't like the idea, as the current look keeps tourists out of da west.

(Except that lots make it to the Crane anyway. Music fans are made of tougher stuff!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd get rid of the metal surfaces at the pedestrian crossings in Eyre Square. What numpty thought they were a good idea? They're lethal when wet. I had one leg slip once but was lucky I didn't fall. I always stay off to the side now.
    My friends grandmother wasn't so lucky yesterday and she broke her ankle.

You're right. But lots of the natives won't like the idea, as the current look keeps tourists out of da west.

(Except that lots make it to the Crane anyway. Music fans are made of tougher stuff!)

True that people look at this end of town as a get away from quay street and the other touristy spots, and the Crane will always pull people in, there is just so much wasted potential down this end.

The "natives" I presume are people who live out of town knocknacarragh etc and come in for the Craic at the weekends? I don't think that them loosing their favourite seat at the bar because the place is full would pose much of a problem in the eyes of business owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd get rid of the metal surfaces at the pedestrian crossings in Eyre Square. What numpty thought they were a good idea? They're lethal when wet. I had one leg slip once but was lucky I didn't fall. I always stay off to the side now.
    My friends grandmother wasn't so lucky yesterday and she broke her ankle.
    Please please make it your duty that your friends granny makes a claim against the city council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

D Trent wrote: »
    Please please make it your duty that your friends granny makes a claim against the city council

I don't know the woman so not my place to but I hope she does too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It kind of like the sleazyness of dominic street. It adds a certain character I think.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It kind of like the sleazyness of dominic street. It adds a certain character I think.

Ha ha I haven't heard sleaziness used to fondly describe something before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

de-dan wrote: »
    Ha ha I haven't heard sleaziness used to fondly describe something before.

Rose-light tinted glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pat25c

How about an indoor market down the docks where the oil tanks used to be, something like the English market in Cork , afaik this idea has been kicked about for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

pat25c wrote: »
    How about an indoor market down the docks where the oil tanks used to be, something like the English market in Cork , afaik this idea has been kicked about for a while

That's be a perfect location for a major concert hall. One that seats thousand. It's near all transport links and car parks.

The one in Castlebar is great but unfortunately it's in Castlebar.

• Advertisement

& who the hell wants to go to castlebar , i thought of putting the concert hall where the blackbox is

how nice would this be http://youtu.be/vyrTx9SXkVI

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

1. Outer Bypass
    2. Indoor Market (On Shop Street, Taffees Shop or GPO)
    3. Business Incubator in Knocknacarra (the University one has 13 companies on the waiting list), Put the Jobs where the people live
    4. Turn Pearse Stadium into a 3 to 4 pitches and build a community stadium across from the race track.
    5. Retractable roof on Quay St & bottom of Shop St

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement