Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderbolt hard drive - For backups

• 07-04-2014 4:42pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations for thunderbolt external hard drives for backups?

I have a 256gb SSD in a MBP and a 128gb SSD in a MBA that I'd like to back up quickly.

Thunderbolt seems nice and fast.

Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive looks like a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Are you dead set on Thunderbolt? There is a price premium for them, and if you have USB3.0, the speeds will be comparable unless you go for a SSD drive (I am led to believe anyway).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Don't have USB 3.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

godtabh wrote: »
    Don't have USB 3.0

A Firewire 800 enabled drive is exceptionally nippy and priced more favourably than one with a Thunderbolt port.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yeah still looking at options. What sure what firewire port was on my 2011 MBP.

As a side I have a 500gb external hard drive. Its formatted as NTFS. Can be seen in my mbp. Any ideas if I can use this on my mac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You'd be best formatting it for Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yeah still looking at options. What sure what firewire port was on my 2011 MBP.

As a side I have a 500gb external hard drive. Its formatted as NTFS. Can be seen in my mbp. Any ideas if I can use this on my mac?

Firewire 800 I'd imagine; certainly the 2009 models had it.

As regards NTFS hard drives, you can read from it but not write to it until it's formatted; you can do this with Disk Utility if you like or you can get softwares that will sort it out for you; Paragon or Tuxera to name two. You can convert the drive to FAT 32 on Disk Untility but it would need to be empty to do it as it will delete all the files on the drive.

A hard drive with Firewire or Thunderbolt ports will quite likely be Mac friendly so stuff like this will become less of an issue :)

my earlier post should have read my MBP cant see the ntfs formated external.

It can be seen on a windows pc. Might just buy a firewire one instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

my earlier post should have read my MBP cant see the ntfs formated external.

It can be seen on a windows pc. Might just buy a firewire one instead

It will see it on the MAC but will be read only, format it to HFS if you want to use it soley on the MAC, if you want to use it on both the PC and MAC then use FAT32 (4GB transfer limit) or ExFAT (no limit but you need to check if your Windows OS supports it, Win7 and 8 are fine with this)

Advertisement