Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac stuck on black screen on wakeup

Options
  • 28-03-2014 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    This may have been asked before (but a search didn't show up much) so apologies its been done already...
    Anyway, My MBP (early 2011) running Mavericks is stuck in a black screen when I open it. Ive seen a lot of discussions about this online but no one seems to offer a solution. I have tried restarting it by holding down the power button a few times to no avail. It will start up in recovery mode fine, so i tried to reset the NVRAM and re install Mavericks (without erasing my data) which seemed to go through the motions of doing it and this morning its in the same situation where all I get is a blank screen with the cursor. Does anyone know how I can get it working again?

One thigh I noticed was that before the OS reinstall, when I closed it the light on the front stayed on like it was running, but after the re install it will start to flash like its gone to sleep. No effect on wakeup though, its still just the blank screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have been having this problem, I tried everything but nothing regular worked

I then downloaded and ran Onyx

It told me there was a problem with the Start-up HD

I rebooted the Machine and held down Command with R until the Apple Logo appeared. It then gave me a few options like restore etc.

I clicked Disk Utilities, and ran all the checks, sure enough there was a problem and then ran the Repair disk.

It seems to be OK now, but will keep checking

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Cheers, I couldn't get at anything past the apple boot up screen. I did a full wipe and OS reinstall and it seems to have solved my issue. Hopefully I wont run into this again. Its the first issue Ive had with my mac in nearly 3 years.

Advertisement