Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local elections 2014

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Anyone listening to the debate on GalwayBayFM for Galway East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I think everyone and their aunt knows Michelle Murphy is being groomed for party politics. Fine Gael will look mighty foolish if their throw-a-bone problem child Flannery gets in ahead of their new poster child Murphy (Hildegarde V2.0), and so they should. Flannery seems to have a much stronger manifesto without any real party backing.

You'd really have to question the FG powers that be for parachuting Michelle Murphy into that area. Such a questionable decision that has really seemed to have backfired. First of all, nobody knows her. Secondly, the fact that she has no ties to the area whatsoever must surely be such a turn-off to vote for her.

I'm not in that area but if I were, I don't think I could vote for somebody who should be running in the Tuam area. I must admit I really like Pearce Flannery, on the other hand. Seems to be running a good campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So Biko, any other candidates gonna answer our queries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

No one else has contacted us in an official capacity, so it's hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

No one else has contacted us in an official capacity, so it's hard to say.

Only a few days left before the election. I'd say it's pretty easy to predict how many (more) candidates will visit this forum in the interim.

My guess: not a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Has anyone actually engaged with the candidates? The few that have had the misfortune to call to my door all seemed well informed are surprisingly articulate. I'm disappointed to say I can't come on here giving out about any of them that I met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Only a few days left before the election. I'd say it's pretty easy to predict how many (more) candidates will visit this forum in the interim.

My guess: not a lot.
    That would be my guess too, they are probably too busy campaigning and canvassing.
    Not everyone might think that boards/de inturnets is the right platform either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pottymouth

biko wrote: »
    That would be my guess too, they are probably too busy campaigning and canvassing.
    Not everyone might think that boards/de inturnets is the right platform either.

I had a candidate last night during the absolute wettest rainshower imagineable. Full marks to him for staying power and being so pleasent and well read on both local and national issues. He stood in my porch for about 10 mins and went off again in the rain. Very impressed with his resolve and knowledge.

In the interests of keeping transparency and fair play to the fore I should let all know that Mark Anderson has sent me a PM with his tax clearance details also. He is precluded from doing this onsite for some reason.

Dunno if you heard the Central debate but one of the Labour candidates got a dig-in at some current city councillors who have 4/5/6 RAS properties..
    43:30 http://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-central-constituency-debate-monday-12th-may-2014/

• Advertisement

What are RAS properties, pray tell?

Pottymouth wrote: »
    What are RAS properties, pray tell?
    RAS
    You should read the whole thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67876568&postcount=80

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

from connacht tribune

A "highly excited" Deputy Derek Nolan, Labour's Director of Elections for Galway City has reacted angrily to our Sentinel story today which predicts a "wipeout" for the party on Friday.

This is the clip from this morning's 'Galway Talks' on our sister station, Galway Bay fm:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBkvpShStnw

Here's the link to the original story: http://connachttribune.ie/labour-faces-election-wipeout-galway/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

2 questions

Where can I find live updates of the Galway election counts?

Also, where are the counts being held and can anyone just drop in to watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

No, passes to get in are scarce and in hot demand. I've been following on twitter. Galway Bay FM, Connacht Tribune, Advertiser and G Independent are all covering it on their twitter and probably facebook feeds (which will show on their main websites too). Also Galway Bay FM are reporting on it at the top of every hour.

I remember being able to get into Leisureland handy enough at the last GE.

I looked at a few Galway sites but I cant find the 1st count for Connemara, have you seen it?

Actually this page on RTE website shows no results yet in Connemara. Handy map there.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2014/#/local/A11

Very interesting contest in City Central. Sixth count results below.

Electorate: 12,488
    Total poll: 6,446 (52%)
    Spoiled: 83
    Total valid poll: 6,363
    Quota: 910

Cubbard, Mike (Ind) 911 ELECTED [on 3rd count]

Distribution of [Colette] Connolly’s votes [eliminated on 3rd count]

Crowe, Ollie (FF) (+17) 862
    Cameron, Billy (Lab) (+100) 819
    Fahy, Frank (FG) (+28) 702
    Marley, Anna (SF) (+25) 656
    Conneely, Padraig (FG) (+32) 626
    Sheridan, Seamus (Grn) (+53) 618
    Deacy, Nicola (FF) (+33) 596
    O Corcorain, Cormac (Ind) (+13) 440 ELIMINATED

Source: http://connachttribune.ie/city-central-labour-wipeout-continues/

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

After the most recent count it looks like Conneely will get back in. In the words of Kent Brockman
    "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

sonandheir wrote: »
    After the most recent count it looks like Conneely will get back in. In the words of Kent Brockman
    "I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work."
    What difference does it make? Have any of our councillors ever done anything worthwhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Ficheall wrote: »
    What difference does it make? Have any of our councillors ever done anything worthwhile?

Yeah this is the 1st local elections I have really had any interest in and I have asked myself that question.
    One thing is for certain, there must be easy money in it because they elected councillors are over the moon.

I believe Cllr Donal Lyons (the "King of Knocknacarra") got one of the highest votes in the city.

Does anyone here know what his policies and values are? Did he have a manifesto? Did anyone receive a leaflet through their door?

I'm aware he was a PD in former times, but that's as much as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I believe Cllr Donal Lyons (the "King of Knocknacarra") got one of the highest votes in the city.

Does anyone here know what his policies and values are? Did he have a manifesto? Did anyone receive a leaflet through their door?

I'm aware he was a PD in former times, but that's as much as I know.

His leaflet was fairly impressive.

4 sheets. First saying hi, second listed in bullet what he has done, the third with what he intends to do in the next 5 years and the last one had contact details.

Arguably the best I had seen of the lot save maybe Cubbard, Flannery and (maybe) Sheridan.I'm sure if you email or text him he'll send you one.

Really surprised Keane didn't poll better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Really surprised Keane didn't poll better.

He was badly hit by Head Office Martin and head office turning against him and supporting David Burke. I think his track record of having put in solid work over the years won it for him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

?Cee?view wrote: »
    He was badly hit by Head Office Martin and head office turning against him and supporting David Burke. I think his track record of having put in solid work over the years won it for him though.

Sorry I meant to say I can't understand why BURKE didn't poll better because of the above factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sorry I meant to say I can't understand why BURKE didn't poll better because of the above factors.

Fair enough. I think people saw through the Head Office foisting someone on the locals way of doing things. If Burke had been a bit more forthright he might have got away with it though.

David Burke, his team members or someone in FF HQ needs to do a better job on removing his posters.

I passed through a section of the City West election area today and the only posters remaining were David Burke's and those of a certain Triple A rated clown.

Deadline is Friday, before the City Council starts talking about considering possible enforcement of the Litter Act or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

David Burke, his team members or someone in FF HQ needs to do a better job on removing his posters.

I passed through a section of the City West election area today and the only posters remaining were David Burke's and those of a certain Triple A rated clown.

Deadline is Friday, before the City Council starts talking about considering possible enforcement of the Litter Act or some such.

He's not the only one, though I saw somebody taking down the AAA guy's posters (looked like it could have been the man himself). There were more than a few of McNeilis's around last night.

There's a reason there's a seven day deadline though, it does take a lot of time to take them down, they didn't all just go up at once (though a lot did insta appear).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Fair enough. I think people saw through the Head Office foisting someone on the locals way of doing things. If Burke had been a bit more forthright he might have got away with it though.

It's not the first time the locals have rejected the choice of FF HQ in Galway. Bertie never forgave a certain TD for not getting Margaret Cox - who was a HQ favourite - elected.

It appears that the infighting between Peter Keane and David Burke has not in any way abated over time. I hear that both are actively seeking a general election nomination and are determined to see that they get it. Could make for very interesting duels over the coming months although it is hard to see how Burke can redeem himself.
    That said the shameless undignified goings on from Keane and the two Crowes over the so called pact and their subsequent self serving behaviour does nothing to cement Keanes case for his suitability as a parliamentarian.

This could be an interesting row. David Burke is not the type to lie down and give up. Thats for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement