Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Why are the 4 cars parked on the street outside our house illegal. They either have no tax, insurance or nct visible. Who is checking this and enforcing the law because as a payer of too much tax I am not getting value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

To the candidates that have their posters up more than the maximum 30 days allowed by the law I will be asking where do they stand on the horrible littering of our city by these posters and where do they stand on the breaking of the law regarding this action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Picked this up from a comment in the journal.ie which since has been deleted and thought it should be shared here. It is in response to people saying they are not voting for person A because they were party X, or person B because they are party Y, any way it gets into Galway in the middle:

"Do party allegiances really matter in local elections? I mean obviously in the general election it is arguably the most important thing, but in local elections it really is just down to the person and what they see needed to improve their community. And most definitely not down to the face, or experience.

In Galway West, Pearce Flannery is getting a rollocking cause he's Fine Gael. But himself and Fianna Fail's David Burke are they only ones with ACTUALLY (sic) plans. I have heard both speak about un-swapping South Park, sorting out Leisureland, the community centre in Knocknacarra, ludicrous council overspending and renovating Salthill. But no one cares. . . cause of their parties. Then there are some independents/popular candidates who honestly have set out and produced NO vision or goals mentioned in any of their literature and who's manifesto from what I can gather is either: "NO to this, NO to that, NO to them, No to twat!" or "Sure I've on the council years. . ." . . .and they are loved cause of it.

First time I've taken a strong interest in it and I'm shocked. Michelle Murphy is not from or has ever lived in Galway West ward and her only policy that I can see is that she wants new bulbs in some on the promenade lights, and when I addressed her with both on my door step she had nothing to say. . . .but she'll get in because she has a pretty face. Donal Lyons hasn't made clear his plans for Leisureland, even though he is actually on the board of management there. Catherine Connolly, who I gave my first preference last time and who is, honestly, a nice person. . . did nothing with my vote. And has no plans for the next few years except to say no, no and a few more no's.

I urge people, go to your ward's candidate's webpages, read their materials, find out their plans. Don't be blinkered by whether their party has a blue, green, red or white shirt. Don't be swayed by irrelevant experience, or a youthful or pretty face on a canvas poster. Use your vote to put in the person who shares your ideas for improving your community."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

biko wrote: »
    This thread is intended to raise the issues that are important to you and yours, so local candidates can take notice.

Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions posted in this thread.

When that time comes we aim to use separate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Election day is 23rd May.

Any sign of the candidates showing an interest in this particular forum?

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from sitting candidates. According to a report in the City Tribune (2nd May) only five of them showed up to a special pre-election meeting organised by the Community Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 matchball

5 sitting councillors attended the meeting organised by the Community Forum last Tuesday. 17 candidates (incl sitting councillors) attended in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Election day is 23rd May.
    Not yet afaik, I'll check with back office.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmapell

I have heard that Galway Bay FM is hosting a radio debate on Wednesday evening with the West Ward candidates? Does anyone know if this is happening for definite or at what time it goes to air?

Might be a good opportunity for people to submit the questions that are being asked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

From their facebook page:

Galway Bay FM
    May 4
    With the elections coming up on May 23rd, we're going to be going around Galway City and county interviewing the candidates. We're starting with the Galway City West Ward this Wednesday from 6pm - 7.30pm and Athenry/Oranmore on Thursday May 8th from 6pm - 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

From their facebook page:

Galway Bay FM
    May 4
    With the elections coming up on May 23rd, we're going to be going around Galway City and county interviewing the candidates. We're starting with the Galway City West Ward this Wednesday from 6pm - 7.30pm and Athenry/Oranmore on Thursday May 8th from 6pm - 8pm

Why are the county candidates getting more time than the city candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why are the county candidates getting more time than the city candidates

That's only City West, not the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Heard the debate this evening:
    On Leisureland, I thought Lyons especially and Kane came out badly on it. They made it sound like nothing is wrong.

IMHO Winners were:
    Catherine Connolly(Ind), David Burke(FF), Pearce Flannery(FG).

The main reason for them is because they had plan for the major issues. They seemed some what prepared. Finnegan grilled David Burke on issues and he seemed to enjoy the challenge and had answers for them. Catherine Connolly picked up on housing pretty well. Pearce Flannery also seemed to know what he was doing.

Will it change much? Don't know, everyone was probably stuck to the TV with the Shatter news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmapell

CowboyTed wrote: »
    IMHO Winners were:
    Catherine Connolly(Ind), David Burke(FF), Pearce Flannery(FG).

The main reason for them is because they had plan for the major issues. They seemed some what prepared. Finnegan grilled David Burke on issues and he seemed to enjoy the challenge and had answers for them. Catherine Connolly picked up on housing pretty well. Pearce Flannery also seemed to know what he was doing.

Will it change much? Don't know, everyone was probably stuck to the TV with the Shatter news.

I agree. Flannery and Burke both shone for me. Both got quizzed hard by Finnegan and stood up to the challenge, were well prepared and got their points across clearly. Cllr. Connolly stands by issues she feels passionately about and works hard for them, not sure what she does for the Ward as a whole but she has her core voters who will elect her time and again.

Hopefully there will be a change. It's time for fresh faces in City Hall. Lyons is a Councillor since 1996, surely it's time to make room for someone new.

biko wrote: »
    Not yet afaik, I'll check with back office.

Any progress?

Just over two weeks to election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I thought Flannery and Burke were the clear winners.

And I think this was down to Finnegan giving them such a hard time and them coming out intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I will be asking the candidates if they are able to "slam?" Reading the local papers I note how our current councillors are great at "slamming," I wouldn't want someone elected that could slam as well as the current encumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pottymouth

jmapell wrote: »
    I agree. Flannery and Burke both shone for me. Both got quizzed hard by Finnegan and stood up to the challenge, were well prepared and got their points across clearly. Cllr. Connolly stands by issues she feels passionately about and works hard for them, not sure what she does for the Ward as a whole but she has her core voters who will elect her time and again.

Hopefully there will be a change. It's time for fresh faces in City Hall. Lyons is a Councillor since 1996, surely it's time to make room for someone new.

This my first post ever (in 61 years) on any chat board, so bear with me.

I think council should be limited to two terms maximum. Lyons and Connolly in this ward have been living off council earnings for far too long. That is the problem with lifer councillors, they end up using the chamber to fund their lifestyles and the role over time simply becomes an essential part of their income. They lose sight of the purpose of council. Always happens.

Both Lyons and Connolly epitomise this. Connolly is a nutcase with no legal career to speak of and Lyons is so far past his sell by date he smells to high heaven. Get Lyons and Connolly out is what I think. I sincerely hope whom ever is elected that the council gets a huge injection of new blood.

And no more bloody teachers and legal eagles!

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from sitting candidates. According to a report in the City Tribune (2nd May) only five of them showed up to a special pre-election meeting organised by the Community Forum.

Hi Iwannahurl,

I'm candidate Marc Anderson of Galway City West, I think there are some solid questions in this forum, some of which I heard in a recording of the city west debate on Galwaybay FM. It's unfortunate that I wasn't on that myself, they didn't call me until the day before to invite me at which point I couldn't make it. Since I didn't get a chance to get into the fray then, I'd be happy to answer questions here, although I understand this isn't a discussion forum with respect to Biko.

I'm happy to answer questions if he permits, or if you are interested in a bit of info on this dark-horse American candidate then I have some explanation in other threads of my experience in job growth by understanding the search by US companies to find a city for a site location. I also have a very high level snapshot of purpose in my press release here:
    drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwxgfx6BLswmUHh0dnY3TFR1blU/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers,
    Marc

PS - I think the question previously posed on tax affairs being up to date is absolutely relevant and the voters business. I was glad to hear they asked that on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 David Burke

Hi Everyone,

David Burke is my name, and I have put myself forward as a candidate in the Galway City West Ward for Fianna Fáil. I am running as a new and first time candidate in this election. I am 34 years old, a Chartered Accountant and I grew up and live at 45 Monalee Heights in Knocknacarra.

I am running in this election because I am passionate about bringing the right type of changes to the running of Galway City and the West Ward. I have extensive experience in working with bringing about change programmes during my time working as a Chartered Accountant with KPMG and subsequently, as a Management Consultant with PricewaterhouseCoopers.

I will try my best to respond to your posts on this board but as I am sure you can appreciate I am pretty busy at the moment ! You have raised a number of relevant and interesting topics on this board. As part of of my campaign, I have tried as much as possible to be available in every forum to interact with people who are trying to decide which way they want to vote.

Some of my main priorities are :

Developing new and existing facilities - Knocknacarra Community Centre needs to be Community run and not privatised. The Leisureland closure needs to be addressed immediately and dealt with as a real crisi locally. We also need to develop new facilities in the area and that would be one of my main priorities

Renewal of Salthill Village - Extend the Urban Renewal scheme to Salthill to bring jobs and investment and make Salthill the leading tourism hub on the West Coast of Ireland

Transport Infrastructure - Bus Link between Knocknacarra and Salthill, increased bus shelter coverage and greater services from Bus Eireann

Local Property Tax - 10% of this tax needs to be ringfenced for local estates under a special capital scheme for local works. A first Nationally co-ordinated programme in addressing local issues

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Supporting Galway and Ireland's bid to bring the Rugby World Cup to Ireland which bring about a €500 Million boost to the Irish economy and €20 Million boost to the Galway economy. During my time as Chairman of the Salthill-Knocknacarra GAA Club, I put down the motion that GAA stadiums across Ireland should be made available to the IRFU in order to assist them make a bid for the Rugby World Cup. This was passed at the National Congress in early 2013 as a result of this motion.

I hope you will consider supporting me on Friday week and Vote No.1 David Burke. I hope to be in a position to answer some of your queries.

Thanks,

David Burke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What do the candidates think of the voting pact within the council, where lucrative positions are divided up between the major parties?

Mayor - €24,000 additional allowance
    Deputy Mayor - €3,000 additional allowance
    3 x Chair of Strategic Polic Committee - €6,000 each
    2 x memberships of Galway Harbour Company
    Chairperson of Galway City Development Board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Hi Everyone,

David Burke is my name, and I have put myself forward as a candidate in the Galway City West Ward for Fianna Fáil. I am running as a new and first time candidate in this election. I am 34 years old, a Chartered Accountant and I grew up and live at 45 Monalee Heights in Knocknacarra.

David. Where are you currently employed and for whom do you work? If elected, will your place of work Monday to Friday be in Galway?

Do you commute from 45 Monalee Heights to work?

• Advertisement

Renewal of Salthill Village - Extend the Urban Renewal scheme to Salthill to bring jobs and investment and make Salthill the leading tourism hub on the West Coast of Ireland

Transport Infrastructure - Bus Link between Knocknacarra and Salthill, increased bus shelter coverage and greater services from Bus Eireann

Local Property Tax - 10% of this tax needs to be ringfenced for local estates under a special capital scheme for local works. A first Nationally co-ordinated programme in addressing local issues

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

Good to hear someone proposing a renewal scheme for Salthill 'village'. It's a chaotic mess at the moment, and could be so much better. The seafront/Prom is one of the jewels of Galway, but it is marred by the 'village' itself, along with some other eyesores such as Baily Point.

Public transport from Knocknacarra, while much improved in recent years, is still very deficient. There are no bus shelters that I am aware of, and I'm told the timekeeping of one 'service' in particular is diabolically poor.

Your proposals regarding the LPT are also very interesting. However, my understanding is that the LPT is simply replacing the highly-centralised Local Government Fund. How do you foresee Galway City Council exercising more local control over how the LPT is spent, locally or city-wide? Will the accounting practices change, eg funds in a particular year will be lost if not spent (a system that results in spending for spending's sake)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Brian Allen

Hi Everyone,

David Burke is my name, and I have put myself forward as a candidate in the Galway City West Ward for Fianna Fáil.

I will try my best to respond to your posts on this board ...

Thanks,

David Burke

Hi David,

My name is Brian, I seem to think you have some good plans set out in the above post, I just hope its not all talk!

Anyhow my main question to you regard your membership of Fianna Fáil;

1) How long have you been a member ?
    2) What role have you played in the party?
    3) Is it true you held or hold a position as Finance Director in the party?
    Did you hold this position during the years of economic collapse, 07,08,09,10,11 ?
    4) What are your views on corporate donations to political parties ?
    This question originates from an article I read here, publicinquiry.eu/2009/05/22/angry-fianna-fail-denies-any-wrongdoing/
    I'am not 100% if the name mentioned is referring to you ?
    5) Finally, is it true you spend the majority of your working week in Dublin?

Looking forward to hearing from you David,

Kind Regards and all the best for may 23rd,
    Brian Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 2 David Burke

Hi,

Just to come back quickly on some of the questions raised. And of course, I am glad to answer them.

I'm glad people agree with my proposals on Salthill village and development of better transport facilities across Salthill & Knocknacarra. In relation to my proposal's on the Local Property Tax, Minister Phil Hogan outlined his intention to return 80% of the property tax proceeds back to the Councils. As a first step, each Council including Galway City Council need to ensure this happens. Once this step is taken, I believe the council needs to set aside 10% for local residents associations. An alternative approach that this could also be done centrally.

In relation to the questions on my residence, I have lived in Knocknacarra since I was 6 years old. In 1987, my family moved to the area. I have always been deeply committted to the community and in my role with working with Fianna Fáil, I believe I adequately answered that question on the debate on Monday night which was discussed on the forum. There were also a number of questions which are not related to the upcoming local elections. I had hoped to be constructive about providing solutions and my ideas to this forum.

David

Hi,

Just to come back quickly on some of the questions raised. And of course, I am glad to answer them.

I'm glad people agree with my proposals on Salthill village and development of better transport facilities across Salthill & Knocknacarra. In relation to my proposal's on the Local Property Tax, Minister Phil Hogan outlined his intention to return 80% of the property tax proceeds back to the Councils. As a first step, each Council including Galway City Council need to ensure this happens. Once this step is taken, I believe the council needs to set aside 10% for local residents associations. An alternative approach that this could also be done centrally.

In relation to the questions on my residence, I have lived in Knocknacarra since I was 6 years old. In 1987, my family moved to the area. I have always been deeply committted to the community and in my role with working with Fianna Fáil, I believe I adequately answered that question on the debate on Monday night which was discussed on the forum. There were also a number of questions which are not related to the upcoming local elections. I had hoped to be constructive about providing solutions and my ideas to this forum.

David

So you've refused to answer any of my questions. Unfortunate really because while the issues you are raising are important, your refusal to engage with questions which go to your connection to Galway means that I cannot believe that you are committed to Galway.

Will you answer this question if you won't answer others? If elected to the City Council, will you serve the full term or will you seek election to the Dáil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 NiallMart42

Hi David,

My name is Brian, I seem to think you have some good plans set out in the above post, I just hope its not all talk!

Anyhow my main question to you regard your membership of Fianna Fáil;

1) How long have you been a member ?
    2) What role have you played in the party?
    3) Is it true you held or hold a position as Finance Director in the party?
    Did you hold this position during the years of economic collapse, 07,08,09,10,11 ?
    4) What are your views on corporate donations to political parties ?
    This question originates from an article I read here, publicinquiry.eu/2009/05/22/angry-fianna-fail-denies-any-wrongdoing/
    I'am not 100% if the name mentioned is referring to you ?
    5) Finally, is it true you spend the majority of your working week in Dublin?

Looking forward to hearing from you David,

Kind Regards and all the best for may 23rd,
    Brian Allen

Hi,

David

Hi,

The questions raised by Brian have led me to setting up an account on this to ask why you have avoided all of them? I have been a supporter of Finna Fáil not so much by choice but by my family's alliance.

What has been raised and especially the article in the link slightly worries me, I presume all is in order, but have had enough of the culture of things being pushed under the carpet and avoided !I feel this is what is being done here.

Furthermore I hope it is not the case that you work or are based in Dublin mid-week, I believe the core value of a local councillor is a person who lives, interacts and experiences the community for which he/she represents.

Cheers,
    Niall

Hi,
    Furthermore I hope it is not the case that you work or are based in Dublin mid-week, I believe the core value of a local councillor is a person who lives, interacts and experiences the community for which he/she represents.

Exactly. Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Lads,

Only two candidates have come on here and this is the reception we give them ? Bit unfair ?

Brain Allen, This was your first post and it looks like a complete set up... In Fairness to David I wouldn't answer it.. Have you anything constructive to say... Quoting anonymous blogs to a candidate is a joke.

David Burke has clearly answered these questions on the debate the last night he clearly outlined commitment to Galway.

Your questioning is a bit unfair and unfortunately, taking away from what should be a some sort of discussion of who we want to represent us on Galway City and their ideas.

Right that is it...
    Two new posters setting up just to attack a candidate, one that was generous enough to offer himself out there... I wish everyone the best but I would advise no candidate to answer any questions on this...

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Lads,

Only two candidates have come on here and this is the reception we give them ? Bit unfair ?

Brain Allen, This was your first post and it looks like a complete set up... In Fairness to David I wouldn't answer it.. Have you anything constructive to say... Quoting anonymous blogs to a candidate is a joke.

David Burke has clearly answered these questions on the debate the last night he clearly outlined commitment to Galway.

Your questioning is a bit unfair and unfortunately, taking away from what should be a some sort of discussion of who we want to represent us on Galway City and their ideas.

I don't see that I've asked anything that's unfair. I'm a long time poster here and haven't registered specifically for this. If David Burke works in Dublin he should be upfront about it and let people decide whether they are still willing to elect him notwithstanding. As it is, he's obfuscating. Answers should be given here rather than referring to a debate which readers here may or may not have attended, or may or may not have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Pottymouth wrote: »
    This my first post ever (in 61 years) on any chat board, so bear with me.

I think council should be limited to two terms maximum. Lyons and Connolly in this ward have been living off council earnings for far too long. That is the problem with lifer councillors, they end up using the chamber to fund their lifestyles and the role over time simply becomes an essential part of their income. They lose sight of the purpose of council. Always happens.

Both Lyons and Connolly epitomise this. Connolly is a nutcase with no legal career to speak of and Lyons is so far past his sell by date he smells to high heaven. Get Lyons and Connolly out is what I think. I sincerely hope whom ever is elected that the council gets a huge injection of new blood.

And no more bloody teachers and legal eagles!

This released today by Seamus Sheridan who refers to these "career councillors." I like the market idea!

• Advertisement

This released today by Seamus Sheridan who refers to these "career councillors." I like the market idea!

Just watched that. Impressive. Personally find it kind of scary when I find myself agreeing with a member of the Green Party :D The world has certainly changed in the last few years.

Advertisement