Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One thing to improve Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

Paddico wrote: »
    If money is no expense, build a Galway subway system

Only if one of the stops was in Tigh Coili. The stairs down to the jacks reminds me of the subway every time I am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Make Tesco 24 hour again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Get rid of Tesco.

And Argos.
    And Currys.
    And McDonald's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Get rid of Tesco.

Dunnes Stores. The difference is we're Irish.

Our stores are badly organised, with a limited range of products. We treat our staff badly, knowing that's how they'll learn to treat our customers. And we charge plenty for our products. We're old fashioned - it's only recently that our staff stopped having to call managers Mr So-and-so.

Get rid of Tesco? Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Get rid of Tesco.

And Argos.
    And Currys.
    And McDonald's.
    And get rid of how many jobs in the process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Get rid of Tesco.

And Argos.
    And Currys.
    And McDonald's.

I understand you're anti-multinational stance, give me McDonaghs over McDonalds anyday ;) But the removal of these franchises/multinationals is not an answer to any problem, social, economical or even nutritional. Influencing and encouraging shifts in policy might be a better idea

Remove the buskers from shop street. Honestly, there's nothing worse than sitting outside one of the cafe or bars there and having to listen to someone badly play the sane few songs over and over again. The guy outside Easons last week with the drum is terrible and just makes a god awful racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Only allow Bongo drums between 11.00 and 15.00, also require license (might raise a bit of revenue as well as reducing overall bongo levels).

Not opposed to an outer by-pass in principle, but can't help but feel it wouldn't solve any problems, it would just move them. I'm not convinced that many vehicles crossing the Corrib want to by-pass the city completely (after all Connemara isn't exactly densely populated). The city centre is already by-passed, problem is there's loads of development along the by-pass route. Same **** would happen with a new one. A new by-pass also probably just lead to new bottle necks on access roads tom and from it. E.g. what ever the shortest/quest route from the by-pass to NUIG/ The Hospital would choked with traffic at rush hour.

Improve the station. The way pedestrians are filtered past bus queues makes the whole place like Calcutta. Annex the ground floor of the Merrick and have passengers walk out through a spacious foyer on to an improved Eyre square. You'd improve visitors first impressions of Galway considerably.

Demolish all the buildings in Salthill and start again.

Seriously who the hell gave planning permission to all the architectural atrocities?

Yeah it's a disaster other than the Prom itself. Hardly any places between the round-a-bout and Blackrock were you can get a drink, coffee, meal with a sea view. Doing so outside is even harder. Instead you have a few derelict hotels, an unopened cinema(?) a refugee centre (is this still open), crazy golf, hotel car parks. There is a decent park which looks Victorian to me and an other park which is quite nice but barely used.

Given a blank cheque I'd put the road under ground, also all the parking. Open up the area which is now the road and parking to restaurant terraces (covered obviously) and other amenities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Change the licensing hours so bars and clubs can stay open as late as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Only allow Bongo drums between 11.00 and 15.00, also require license (might raise a bit of revenue as well as reducing overall bongo levels).

Not opposed to an outer by-pass in principle, but can't help but feel it wouldn't solve any problems, it would just move them. I'm not convinced that many vehicles crossing the Corrib want to by-pass the city completely (after all Connemara isn't exactly densely populated). The city centre is already by-passed, problem is there's loads of development along the by-pass route. Same **** would happen with a new one. A new by-pass also probably just lead to new bottle necks on access roads tom and from it. E.g. what ever the shortest/quest route from the by-pass to NUIG/ The Hospital would choked with traffic at rush hour.

The main problem is the bridges over the Corrib. All the traffic is funnelled through them and as we know they are all fairly close together. A bypass with a bridge farther out is needed. People living and working on opposite sides of the city would not need to go into the middle of the city to get to work/home. I'd say that this would help Galway enormously. Maybe the public transport system could then be improved in the inner arteries of the city?

Outer Bypass +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

There is something in what you say. This is what the proposed Bypass is for, according to the Connacht Sentinel (3rd December 2013):
    Quite simply [sic], we need a facility to remove traffic that doesn't need to traverse the city itself, if we are to facilitate the smoother flow of cars that actually do need to be in the heart of town.

In the same spirit, I suggest that a by-law be passed which would make home schooling compulsory. See above for rationale. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Bypass from Salthill / docklands to Oranmore for traffic
    A pedestrianized bridge built parallel to the existing bridge at the cathedral (Death trap) to the court house
    Redo Eyre Square and bring it back to what it was like in the 90s
    Have a Death Ray attached to the roof of Bank of Ireland and evaporate any scum bags loitering and begging for money.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Have a Death Ray attached to the roof of Bank of Ireland and evaporate any scum bags loitering and begging for money.

You really mean the B of I boardroom ceiling, right? :)

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There is something in what you say. This is what the proposed Bypass is for, according to the Connacht Sentinel (3rd December 2013):

In the same spirit, I suggest that a by-law be passed which would make home schooling compulsory. See above for rationale. :)

Hmm...There's way too much school related traffic in Galway, I used to cycle 3 km work past various primary schools on the west side of the city. Each had traffic jams outside them. These were older parts of the city so perhaps the kids didn't live locally and were being transported from newer areas without enough school places. Anyway in a city surely most kids should be able to walk to school.

Also there's apparently significantly less traffic during school holidays. How will an outer by-pass reduce school related traffic.

The Quincentenary bridge was the outer-by-pass of its day, now it's just an other bottle neck.

Hmm...There's way too much school related traffic in Galway, I used to cycle 3 km work past various primary schools on the west side of the city. Each had traffic jams outside them. These were older parts of the city so perhaps the kids didn't live locally and were being transported from newer areas without enough school places. Anyway in a city surely most kids should be able to walk to school.

Also there's apparently significantly less traffic during school holidays. How will an outer by-pass reduce school related traffic.

The Quincentenary bridge was the outer-by-pass of its day, now it's just an other bottle neck.

Yep, the Quincentenary was the outer-by-pass of it's day............... but Galway has gotten bigger and busier. Imagine the city today if we did not have the Quincentenary "bottleneck".

Naux wrote: »
    Yep, the Quincentenary was the outer-by-pass of it's day............... but Galway has gotten bigger and busier. Imagine the city today if we did not have the Quincentenary "bottleneck".

As you say four Bridges haven't solved the traffic. I admire people's faith in a fifth one. However you'll forgive me if I lack faith in our local and national government because of there propensity for bad planning and execution. the new bridge won't be much use if there's an entrance to mega-mall at one end
    And the only exit for the University, The hospital and NUIGALWAY at the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Yep, the Quincentenary was the outer-by-pass of it's day

Newcaslte, & Tirellan existed long before the QB was planned, so how the f**k could this ever have been an "outer bypass".

Revisionism at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    Newcaslte, & Tirellan existed long before the QB was planned, so how the f**k could this ever have been an "outer bypass".

Ahh, because it goes through the outer suburbs, and is a long way outside the inner city.

There's no rule that says an outer-bypass has to go right outside everything that already exists.

FWIW, even I support an additional bridge, becuase the system at the moment is just so fragile: if something happens on the Quin, then the whole city snarls up.

• Advertisement

Ahh, because it goes through the outer suburbs, and is a long way outside the inner city.

There's no rule that says an outer-bypass has to go right outside everything that already exists.

Any anyway, the proposed route is really a ring road.

Another thing that would improve Galway is a coastal greenway. Not sure if that has been mentioned already.

A) The quincentenary Bridge does 'by-pass' the city centre.
    B) I meant 'the outer by-pass of its day' as in it being hailed as the solution to traffic problems. I'm sure the guy cutting the ribbon it wasn't basking in the reflected glory of opening a new bottleneck.

Enjoy the new ring road when it happens (I think it probably will eventually). It may alleviate traffic for a bit. I'm just skeptical because the only city I've been in for any lenght of time that didn't have serious traffic jams was in Switzerland. I can see Galway is littered with nonsensical planning decisions. Plus generally poor planning. A prime example is putting the GAA stadium West of the Corrib when 90% of the fans are access the city from the east. Additional roads seldom solve traffic problems in the long term, given Galway's record I wouldn't bank on an outer by-pass bmaking much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Ah lads, stop being pedantic. Bypass smypass, ring road smring road.

Galway needs an "outer bypass ring road" so that traffic from the east travelling to say Clifden or Spiddal can completely avoid the city and vice versa. Even when the Quin bridge was built, people knew it would not be enough. A great jumping spot in College though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Bike parking on every street similar to the car parking provision in the city.
    Outdoor market similar to the Milk Market in Limerick - convert one of the surface car parks like Mill Street or Bowling Green for this.

OK Lets build a "real" outer bypass this time. Based on your thinking/criteria it will be the far side of Headford somewhere :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A second public Swimming Pool/Leisure facility.
    Even if Leisureland is reopened a significant portion of the population of the city and county would be better served by a pool on the East side of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

OK Lets build a "real" outer bypass this time. Based on your thinking/criteria it will be the far side of Headford somewhere :eek::eek:

I think the perfect spot is near the head of the river. Near Menlo/Glenlo.
    The whole southern end of Lough Corrib is surprisingly shallow and has good bedrock so you could easily build a road there too. The northern part of Lough Corrib is very deep so no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I think the perfect spot is near the head of the river. Near Menlo/Glenlo.
    The whole southern end of Lough Corrib is surprisingly shallow and has good bedrock so you could easily build a road there too. The northern part of Lough Corrib is very deep so no chance.

Id imagine there must be some conservation there with the heritage etc. Also, we cant devalue the politicians houses in menlo and glenlo / moycullen now can we.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

OK Lets build a "real" outer bypass this time.

Bypass definition: "a main road built to avoid a city or other congested area"

The current road never did this, all it did was move traffic from the front of the hospital to Newcastle. To access it one still have to walk/drive/cycle through the city, through residential and commercial areas that have existed since the 50s.

So yes build a real bypass, one that does not go through residential & commercial that have existed since the 1950s.
    Based on your thinking/criteria it will be the far side of Headford somewhere :eek::eek:

What drive to Cong:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek::eek::confused::confused:?

Many of the people that have essentially shut down discussion on the GCOB probably think that this is a viable alternative, I think it's plain brain-dead.

• Advertisement

Sarcasm is lost on some people!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement