Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aspiring's LC 2014 Study Log

• 02-06-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

I'm starting early I know but it's necessary, the summer test were a reality check for me as I realised I haven't been working hard enough at all and I've been too cocky. This will be my first time properly studying per-se as I haven't been much of a studying person up to now.

Anyway here are my subjects and my goals beside them.
    English HL : A2
    Maths HL : B1/A2
    Irish HL : C1
    Physics HL : A1
    Business HL : A1
    Accounting HL : A1
    Applied Maths HL : A2/A1 (optimistic :D)
    French HL : B1

Basically I'm hoping for 550-600 ish points which I know is very optimistic but I feel it's possible.

Anyway will post up here whenever I'm studying and what I've studied :)

I CAN DO THIS :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Honestly, I don't think it's a very good idea for you to start this early. I'm in 6th year now and with my leaving cert in two days, studying has become such a nightmare that I wish I was back in your position of having three months to do anything that doesn't involve stressing over! I know you think it may give you an advantage or help you out because of your summer exams but honestly, I think it will be counterproductive as you will end up resenting studying by Christmas of sixth year if you start now. Fair enough if you want to do a bit in August but seriously why spend some of the time you have off to do whatever you want studying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Honestly, I don't think it's a very good idea for you to start this early. I'm in 6th year now and with my leaving cert in two days, studying has become such a nightmare that I wish I was back in your position of having three months to do anything that doesn't involve stressing over! I know you think it may give you an advantage or help you out because of your summer exams but honestly, I think it will be counterproductive as you will end up resenting studying by Christmas of sixth year if you start now. Fair enough if you want to do a bit in August but seriously why spend some of the time you have off to do whatever you want studying?

To be fair, if they even does 30 minutes a day over a summer he'll have 40 hours done. It'll mean they won't have to worry about Physics definitions or French verb conjugation next year (for example), and can focus on the real stuff. Putting down the foundations really.

Granted for all I know they could be learning off Irish essays but I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

That's very true too! All I know is from my experience is that I wanted to start last August, but I didn't because a friend talked me out of it. I know a few who did and ended up hating studying and didn't bother after christmas and did worse in their mocks because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Cheers for the input lads.

I just mean 20-30 mins a day, maybe nothing at all some days. If I can get all my physics experiments and definitions done and business and accounting itll save me a lot of time next year where I want to focus on maths a lot. As for French I'll just try take a verb a day or something which should give a good foundation for the language which I only grasped lately.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

I'm in the same position as you, but you are far more organised, I think making a study log is a great first step!! :pac:
    I hope the studying goes well for you over the summer, I plan on doing a good bit, but I just cannot motivate myself at ALL! :(
    Any motivating secrets - let me know!! :D
    I'd love to join the 600 club but I think it's already too late... haha
    Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement

RedSeven7 wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as you, but you are far more organised, I think making a study log is a great first step!! :pac:
    I hope the studying goes well for you over the summer, I plan on doing a good bit, but I just cannot motivate myself at ALL! :(
    Any motivating secrets - let me know!! :D
    I'd love to join the 600 club but I think it's already too late... haha
    Best of luck to you!

I haven't started, weather is too nice I need a wet day to get going haha.
    I'd be extremely happy with 550 myself as I feel that's the most I'll need for the courses I'm interested in.

My motivation secret - Think about where you want to be, if you want to end up doing what you want and being the best you can be or doing something you really don't want to do. Good luck haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I would recommend you get outside while you can. Plenty of grey miserable days ahead to start doing a bit . Well done on making this decision :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

One simply does not learn definitions over the summer and still remember them all in 12 months time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Enjoy yourself, you'll be sick of the LC before youve even started it in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 petrichor

I'm doing leaving cert 2014 and I'm planning on studying a bit this summer too.

Honestly, in 6th year, I'm going to be wishing I did some study over summer, not wishing I relaxed. I get stressed very easily and I think putting in 20 minutes a day to drill in definitions is the best bet for me. :P

Aiming for 550+ too, good luck with your studying!! :)

• Advertisement

petrichor wrote: »
    I'm doing leaving cert 2014 and I'm planning on studying a bit this summer too.

Honestly, in 6th year, I'm going to be wishing I did some study over summer, not wishing I relaxed. I get stressed very easily and I think putting in 20 minutes a day to drill in definitions is the best bet for me. :P

Aiming for 550+ too, good luck with your studying!! :)

Thanks good luck to you too :)

Dont see any harm in studying the odd bit

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Theres nothing wrong per say about studying over summer, I never did it though and I know one girl who did and really it did her more damage than good because she was already wrecked and burnt out in september. I have noticed that lots of people who do plan to do it say they'll learn definitions and experiments as if next june there going to remember them, after a few weeks its nearly like your looking at something brand new again since you've covered so much new stuff in the mean time so really I don't see it being much good to you. Everyone talks about how they feel they dont have enough time in 6th year to study but you do. Start in september and get yourself into it and you get everything done, its when you decide to start after the mocks that you have a problem, especially if your looking for anything high.

Good lordy lord I completely forgot about this.

Will get started posting ASAP, doing well in the big LC so far anyway. Finding it hard to find time to study with homework going on till 10 or 11 most nights, hopefully will have more time in the future.

Anyway the only revision I did today was accounting, a farm account in fact.

I am a joke haha. Just realised if I don't start studying I wont't end up with the future I wan't so, going to try do 5 hours a week starting the coming week :)

Did four accounting questions, marginal and absorption what ya call em's. getting a lot quicker at them now got them each question done within 15 mins :)
    Studied the European Union for business mainly the policies, I figure if I can get a grasp on the most boring chapter on the course I'm off to a good start :D
    Tomorrow I will try to attack an old accounting friend, Suspense. *shudders*.

Well I did some suspense today for accounting. It seems its not as bad as it used to be :) Seeing things as debt/credit and people as debtor/creditor rather than the way it used to be (learning off the layout from past questions).

Need to start learning my physics experiments, will try get 2 done tomorrow and should have them all nailed down twice over for the christmas tests :)

Didn't get much homework so got a good bit of study done :)

English: Revised comparative notes
    Irish: Learned vocab
    Business: Short Questions
    Accounting: Service Firm 100mk question

Accounting: 1 Service question, 1 club. Both 100 marks.

I realise to anybody reading this it would seem this is looking somewhat like an accounting study thread with the majority of the study being there. The reason is that accounting is one of the subjects I want an A1 in and also if I don't practice them I know I'll forget so I've decided I'll set out a plan, dun dun dunnn.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
    - 2 60 mark accounting exam questions each day / 1 80 or 100 mark question (depends on other study)
    - Physics (Definitions Monday, Experiments Wednesday, Exam Question Friday)
    - French. With all the soul destroying ability of the other two French will provide some time away from the calculator, and I like learning French for some reason.
    -Applied maths. I need to start studying this, been dossing for ages and I used to be decent enough. Will try aim aim for 1 exam paper each session.

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday:
    -Irish. 40 vocab pieces each week , the seanfhocail (spelling?) 1 or 2 a week, the poetry, lots more. Possibly most difficult.
    -Business. Short questions Tuesday, should get 2 years of a SQ done in a half hour. Thursday 1 ABQ (units 1,2,3) God I hate ABQ's haha. Saturday pure marking scheme learning. I'll aim to learn 1 question long question a day (a,b, c)
    -English. I love English so this should provide a nice break after the other two. Tuesday Poetry (quotes, my opinions, etc). Thursday, I'm just going to practice writing as quickly and neatly as possible for 30-45 mins. I'll find something to write I just need to improve my writing speed, it has gotten a lot slower since JC. Saturday, Comparative I'll learn the notes we have and focus on the links between our studied material.
    Maths - I need to sort this out. Been very lazy in maths and have the ability to do well just won't study. I'm going to set up a hardback of sorts for maths stuff. Could decide to do any topic any of the days so I won't put anything down.

Well that's it. This is me telling myself I'm going to do this, a mental note of my willingness to change :D

It's ambitious, quite a change from the usual me. As you have noticed Sunday is now a free day, whereas up to now it has been a day to do all my homework which simply isn't effective!

I'll try this for at least two weeks, and if its too much I can change it.

:)

Got started with the above plan today, went better than expected.

Accounting - 1x 80 mark question
    Physics - Wrote out notes on the electron/cathode ray tubes/x-rays and the like
    Applied Maths - Actually did a question. First time I've ever sat down to do a question that isn't homework in applied maths.
    I had to check my book a few times but I understood so we're getting somewhere. Think it was 2012 or 2013 question 2 (Relative velocity)
    French - Practiced oral work, I'll try get a listening done later then correct it after.

Went to UCD today so all homework + study that was to be done Saturday will now be done on Sunday.

• Advertisement

All I did was English today, Didn't get half the stuff I wanted to do done. Next time :)

Did everything on the list today and yesterday (even maths, who knew it could be studied!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rebecca G.

I am finally doing my leaving cert :p I am 23 :D

Rebecca G. wrote: »
    I am finally doing my leaving cert :p I am 23 :D

What a random place to make such a statement haha :) But good luck, and what made you wait this long?

Becoming overwhelmed with flash cards haha, making 20-30 new ones a day for business but its working!

At the moment here's how I stand:
    Irish - Not so good
    English - Happy
    Maths - Could be better
    Physics - Happy but I'm just not studying it enough, dropping back to B's/C's after A's last year
    Business - Happy Every class seems 100x easier now that I actually study it, going great.
    Accounting - Happy
    French - Doing very little work, want to get to at least C1 standard
    Applied Maths - Simply not putting the work in. It's in my top 6 so yeah.. just need to cop on but there's not much resources other than the teacher.

Well that's where I am, I'm in no place to set goals for the mocks yet but I've found the whole goal setting thing does work.

Plan for the next two weeks (modified for christmas exams):
    Business - Short Questions - All of them learned
    Accounting - Revise Suspense and Published. Brush up on theory across the board
    English - Should probably look over poetry and Macbeth, not sure what's coming up
    Maths - Differentiation, Integration Logs. (especially the ones with sin,cos,tan and the e ones.
    Physics - 1.5 hours a day on definitions + experiments. Need to get this back up to A standard
    Irish - Christ almighty I have a lot to do in the next 2 weeks. 13-ish Sraithpicteorí, Díospóriacht, lots more.
    Applied Maths - I know myself and my goals with this.
    French - I'll brush up on verbs and essay writing technique not sure what exactly....

So yeah probably a good time to put up the aul Christmas test goals*...
    Accounting - A1 , if I don't it will be as excruciatingly painful as clicking pens in a silent room (quite annoying). Been studying a lot I know everything well *cough* apart from suspense *cough*
    Business - A1 , It's a short question test. No excuse for not getting at least 95%
    Maths - B3 , I would be incredibly pleased if I managed this. I haven't worked much for maths but intend to.
    Physics - A2 , I'm starting to grow nauseous of my lack of effort in Physics this year. Time to get back up to where I was.
    Applied Maths - C1 , Ah I'll manage it ;)
    French - C1 , Not in the top 6 soooo I'll be happy if it stays like that all year to be perfectly honest
    English - A2/B1 , All depends really, anything could happen.
    Irish - C3 , Why I still labour through honours Irish I don't know, but I might as well keep it till the mocks. We have an oral test too so I'll just speak really slowly through my Sraithpictuirí hehe.

* : Results may be slightly on the optimistic side.

Lets get started then shall we ;)

Haven't posted in a while, been studying pretty much all Irish the last good while.
    Will start to post again now that things are back on track.

So yeah, just preparing material for tomorrow's cramming session. I'll revise what I've crammed this time, that seems to be a win-win situation. Christmas tests start Monday

Already almost passed Irish as we've already done our oral and listening and I'm at around 35% (she gave us our results), so just need to get the exam right.
    Planning to learn about 10-15 business long q's between now and Monday, many cups of coffee will be had.
    French is the only other problem subject then really...going to learn off some phrases I can throw into any reaction question, need to work on the aul' writing aspect of French

These are looking to be some of the easiest tests in years, guess it shows what a small bit of study does :)

Note to self: This is our last cramming session, can't be cramming for the LC ;)

Well only 3 tests left. Going reasonably well, looking forward to finishing tomorrow :)

Well at the time of posting right now I only have 4 tests back, will post the rest up once I have them, my goals I set before are in brackets beside what I got:

Irish - C2 . (C3 goal)
    English -
    Maths -
    French - C2 (C1 goal, still have another part in the test to do)
    Business - A1 (A1 goal)
    Physics - A2 (A2 goal)
    Accounting -
    Applied Maths -

Probably most surprised with Irish, still another part in the test left and I've surpassed my goal :)
    Looking forward to getting the other 4 in my top 6 back so I can have a good idea where I'm at, pretty happy so far with the A1 and A2 in the back pocket.

• Advertisement

Well had the last test today (maths), went a lot better than expected and I'm really optimistic :D

I was quite silly and didn't realise I couldn't edit posts after a certain amount of time, so I will simply post up all results when they are back. After tomorrow applied maths will be the only one not back.

Well applied maths still isn't back and won't be till after chritmas so I'll just post the other 7 christmas results:
    English - A2
    Irish - C1
    Maths - B1
    French - C2
    Physics - A2
    Accounting - B1
    Business - A1

Total of 545 out of the best 6 so far if this was the real thing, but it's not unfortunately and the real thing will be a lot harder so, study study study ;)!

But I'm very happy especially surpassing some of my goals (page 2), also disappointed especially with accounting and french, but I'll get them in the mocks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Doing the same subjects as you except for the fact you're doing Business instead of me doing Economics. Pretty cool.

With the Mocks coming up, I'm pretty confident that an A1 can be achieved in Accounting and Physics. Accounting, especially. Just seems like a subject where if you can find the hours to put in, it's very doable.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Doing the same subjects as you except for the fact you're doing Business instead of me doing Economics. Pretty cool.

With the Mocks coming up, I'm pretty confident that an A1 can be achieved in Accounting and Physics. Accounting, especially. Just seems like a subject where if you can find the hours to put in, it's very doable.

Same, really confident in those 2. Hoping for 3 or 4 A1/A2's in the mocks even though I know that'll be hard with the amount of work I've put in (not a lot)

Well mocks start tomorrow, poop.

I really need to start posting in this again I've spent the last two days filling my head up with stuff that could've easily been learned one day at a time.

I realise the error of my ways :(

New me after the mocks :D

I am the man with the plan. This is my dramatic entrance. Dun dun dunnnn.

A study plan is on the way. Not a IRISH ENGLISH MATHS ETC ETC study timetable, oh no, an effective topic specific study timetable in which I will draw in my strong points to create a plane of study never before embarked upon.

Coming spring 2014: The Study Plan

Well in a few days really.
    This study plan will change weekly to keep up with the flow of material.

It will NOT be during my after school study sessions, a prospect which upsets me deeply as I will lose many hours of my week but honestly, desire to get THAT course > desire to sit around.

Cue motivational music of your choice ;)

• Advertisement

Well here is next week's study plan, you'll notice a lot of free time but I've learned trying to go from 0 to 100% effort off the bat just doesn't work. Also those rest periods include homework and the like and I've left out training in some parts but anyway it's start.

If you want the excel file just let me know ;)

30sttzd.jpg]

Notice the two things in black, they are the 1hr 30min blocks as the key below the table indicates, these are the things I really need to tackle and so am doing so head on :)

Haven't posted in a while but have been studying of course.

Today:

Accounting: did questions 2,3 and 4 on 2013 paper.
    Irish: studied two sraith pictiur.

Saturday study tomorrow in school, hope to get a good bit done.

I almost have all of my results back, will post them when I have them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bassfacewhy

why so little time dedicated to french oral? and for irish you seem to be only doing sraiths

why so little time dedicated to french oral? and for irish you seem to be only doing sraiths

French is my goal for the next few weeks i have done very little oral work. For Irish for paper 1 I am constantly learning vocab for the aiste we do it mostly in class that's why I haven't mentioned it here. I was focusing on the sraiths because I had a mock oral coming up and I hadn't been studying the sraiths at all, so I had to focus on them. I ended up getting 70/80 for my Sraith Pictiur in the mock oral and 75% overall in it so I'm focusing more on getting my grammar in check now. Haven't done anything for paper 2 yet either so that's something I'll focus moreso on after the oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bassfacewhy

Aspiring wrote: »
    French is my goal for the next few weeks i have done very little oral work. For Irish for paper 1 I am constantly learning vocab for the aiste we do it mostly in class that's why I haven't mentioned it here. I was focusing on the sraiths because I had a mock oral coming up and I hadn't been studying the sraiths at all, so I had to focus on them. I ended up getting 70/80 for my Sraith Pictiur in the mock oral and 75% overall in it so I'm focusing more on getting my grammar in check now. Haven't done anything for paper 2 yet either so that's something I'll focus moreso on after the oral.

Alright, good on ya, was just wondering

• Advertisement

Been doing 2 accounting questions a night since I last posted, almost at that A1 standard consistently (just need to learn off the theory - easier said than done)

Also started focusing on French, finally. I've written out 2 pages of notes on my family and what each does/personalities etc. Plan on tackling everything about myself over the weekend i.e. personality, past times, star sign (why is there so much about this in the book, so random haha), school subjects, strengths, what I want to do in the future and so on.

Will also be studying the ol sraith pics like a mad man. Have 10 fully known and ten half known, small gaps to fill is all. Next week each night I hope to spend a bit of time on my grammar, I'm not too comfortable in the aimsir fháistineach/ modh chinníollach (excuse horrible spelling), need to work on these as my comhrá is often what let's me down most.

I am just waiting on one exam back now but should be at around 500 points give or take 10. Pretty happy with that, still a lot of work to do tho!

Suppose I should start posting again now that I have the time over Easter :)

Today:

Accounting: 2 60 mark questions
    Physics: 1 full paper (2013)
    Business: studied all things relating to data protection (one of my weaker areas)

This weather really doesn't help, should have gotten so much more done today! :D

Still, about 6 hours all in all so not too bad. My plan over Easter is to iron out the things I'm not 100% on in business and physics. To learn as much theory as I can for accounting. To do as many full maths papers as I can. To write a earth shattering English essay ;) . To relearn french grammar, used to know it so well. To do my Irish homework for Easter, not sure what else I could do for Irish, and finally to focus on my top 6 questions for applied maths. Sounds a bit like the ten commandments :pac:

Forgot to post my mock results, but I got 500 points overall. Very happy as you can imagine and this would get me over the line in August I'd say, just need to reproduce it or perhaps better it :) some of the results I know I can improve on so hopefully that will be the case!

Thanks for taking the time for reading, hope all of you have an Easter in which you reap the many benefits of hours of study, and you also enjoy many many Easter eggs amidst your studies. I shall be posting here almost every day I imagine over Easter (there'll be a few break days), so if you want to read along I'll see ya soon ;)

Didn't get much done today, studied Macbeth and comparative notes, basically my learned off material which consists of quotes for each text. Hope to get a lot more done tomorrow.

Did 15 maths questions, studied maths all day.

Been studying a good bit, just haven't been posting here :)

-I've tackled the theory of 4 questions for accounting so far, theory is pretty much all I'm missing atm so I'm pretty happy to keep learning this stuff off.

-Ironed out any gaps in knowledge for business, pretty confident there.

-Been doing as many 56 mark physics questions (think it's 56) and am pretty confident just need to learn off my quarks, mesons, baryons and all that jazz and should be almost ready bar the experiments.

-I've been mathsing (it's a word) my arse off and am getting more confident there by the day. Sometimes the odd financial maths question will get the better me, just need to work on using the right formulas.

-For English I'm pretty happy with my progress, I know my Yeats and Dickinson poetry off by heart and quotes for the rest, so should be able to handle whatever comes up. Comparative will be a revise a few days before the exam type situation. Need to do a bit on Macbeth.

-In french I'm just trying to keep a C1 standard. Not going to pretend I'm doing any work really here... Just maintaining what I have. Won't be counting it come August.

-My Irish is grand for paper 1. Paper 2 just need to prepare more for everything bar the comprehensions.

-Applied maths. Not doing much. Ready for anything in Q1 and Q2. Will have a serious cramming session for the other 4 q's the 4 days before the exam (worked out nicely). Obviously I'll be doing work on it before then also :).

My only regret is not focusing on a 6th subject more. I'm strong in 5 subjects then I have 3 average subjects. Would've been a better idea to have just focused on one of these 3 and put the other two to the side. No point complaining now though, can only focus on getting the best results possible with what I have ;)

Been studying every day. About to revise my comparative notes tonight, should be the last time before the day before the exam. Pretty confident on poetry atm. I know Dickinson, Yeats and Plath (I know there's little chance of the latter coming up, but still) inside out. Just need to revise the two others a bit. Not really sure what to study for Macbeth, will figure something out tomorrow. That's pretty much all I can do for English.. I suppose I'll revise some paper 1 material but as long as there's a nice personal essay/speech/descriptive essay on the day I should be grand.

Not really nervous yet, probably should be by now. Hopefully I'll get a good week's study done. Once maths paper 1 is out of the way the weekend arrives and I can cram a bit for Irish and French. Not going to be counting either I'd say so I'm not too worried about them. Business then, really the one I'm most looking forward to, hope to get the A1. Then the weekend to do a bit of cramming once again for Physics and Accounting (Same day). Have been doing well in both over the 2 years and mocks so anything is possible really. Then I have a full 3 days before Applied Maths. These will be the most intense 3 days of my life. I hope to get many, many questions done and try get a decent mark out of it.

And that's my leaving cert. Seems strange to put it into perspective like that, it'll happen so quickly. My success/failure will come down to my top 5 subjects (English, Maths, Business, Accounting, Physics) with the 6th one hopefully being a C or B hopefully.

When I say cramming up above I don't meaning learning new info by the way, just revision :D

I'm just gonna post the points I hope I get just to motivate me and have something to dream about between June and August! : 535

535 has just been a number I've dreamed about since I started fifth year, and would be a 35 point improvement on my mocks.

If any fifth years/ TY's are reading this, please start working now. I've gotten by on a clear understanding of, and interest in my subjects, with a little study. Most of my improvements are due to simply doing homework, always do your homework. I didn't for 3 years, and my JC results reflected this. If I had studied more I know I could have gotten a seriously good result, I mean 600+. I'm not being cocky I'm just saying I have been gifted with a powerful memory and interest in my subjects, which goes a loooong way. Now I sit here thinking IF I had studied more I could get what I'm capable of. Don't be me. Study, do your homework and participate in class as much as you can. I'm glad I have improved as much as I have across all of my subjects, but I will have that regret of not reaching my potential for the rest of my life. I know if I don't get my Number 1 course (god forbid), it'll be because of lack of effort, not bad luck or any ****e, my fault only. Well I'm finished being an old man now, will be posting here throughout the week I'd imagine :)

600th post, nice.

Had quite a productive day. Decided to take a break from the English, will continue tomorrow.

Did a lot of maths, tried to find tricky questions and do them. Did a good bit of statistics because it's probably my weakest area, no interest in it unfortunately :) Confident in most areas of maths now, feels great. Just need to get the theorems learned off but I'm in no rush to do that.

Got a lot of physics done that I've been meaning to do for a long time. There was five experiments I hadn't done, I learned them off there today so that's a big worry gone. Also got 20 pages worth of definitions learned, well revised really. Had a lot of "oh yeah I remember that" moments, which is good, as I know it'll stick in for the LC. Have another 25 or so pages to do still, should get them done tomorrow or Friday. God bless thephysicsteacher.ie, that's where I got the 45 pages of definitions if anybody's looking.

I'm actually a little bit nervous about Eng. Paper 1 now, haven't done a comprehension part b in a long time. Will revise my old stuff and talk to my teacher about it, should be fine. Looking forward to the Composing though, hopefully an interesting personal essay comes up. Failing that, a descriptive or speech will do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Aspiring wrote: »
    Been studying every day. About to revise my comparative notes tonight, should be the last time before the day before the exam. Pretty confident on poetry atm. I know Dickinson, Yeats and Plath (I know there's little chance of the latter coming up, but still) inside out. Just need to revise the two others a bit. Not really sure what to study for Macbeth, will figure something out tomorrow. That's pretty much all I can do for English.. I suppose I'll revise some paper 1 material but as long as there's a nice personal essay/speech/descriptive essay on the day I should be grand.

Not really nervous yet, probably should be by now. Hopefully I'll get a good week's study done. Once maths paper 1 is out of the way the weekend arrives and I can cram a bit for Irish and French. Not going to be counting either I'd say so I'm not too worried about them. Business then, really the one I'm most looking forward to, hope to get the A1. Then the weekend to do a bit of cramming once again for Physics and Accounting (Same day). Have been doing well in both over the 2 years and mocks so anything is possible really. Then I have a full 3 days before Applied Maths. These will be the most intense 3 days of my life. I hope to get many, many questions done and try get a decent mark out of it.

And that's my leaving cert. Seems strange to put it into perspective like that, it'll happen so quickly. My success/failure will come down to my top 5 subjects (English, Maths, Business, Accounting, Physics) with the 6th one hopefully being a C or B hopefully.

When I say cramming up above I don't meaning learning new info by the way, just revision :D

I'm just gonna post the points I hope I get just to motivate me and have something to dream about between June and August! : 535

535 has just been a number I've dreamed about since I started fifth year, and would be a 35 point improvement on my mocks.

If any fifth years/ TY's are reading this, please start working now. I've gotten by on a clear understanding of, and interest in my subjects, with a little study. Most of my improvements are due to simply doing homework, always do your homework. I didn't for 3 years, and my JC results reflected this. If I had studied more I know I could have gotten a seriously good result, I mean 600+. I'm not being cocky I'm just saying I have been gifted with a powerful memory and interest in my subjects, which goes a loooong way. Now I sit here thinking IF I had studied more I could get what I'm capable of. Don't be me. Study, do your homework and participate in class as much as you can. I'm glad I have improved as much as I have across all of my subjects, but I will have that regret of not reaching my potential for the rest of my life. I know if I don't get my Number 1 course (god forbid), it'll be because of lack of effort, not bad luck or any ****e, my fault only. Well I'm finished being an old man now, will be posting here throughout the week I'd imagine :)

Yeah I would definitely encourage people to start in 5th year. It's only 2 years of your life for a better life. I let depression take over, but this year I have worked harder than ever to get back to best, so I feel good about that.

Good for you Mike, glad to hear you're back on track :) Good luck in the exams!

Today:

-Physics: experiments and another 10 pages of definitions. They seem to be staying in my head word for word quite nicely which is great. Well covered for section B of the paper, in the mocks I only lost marks on definitions, which has now been resolved. Section A I'm still working on. I know most of my experiments by heart, except a few. Those are the few I'll be working on in the coming days.

-English: Studied Macbeth. If Macbeth or LM come up for character q. I'll be grand. Just have the fear in the back of my mind somebody else will come up, so today I studied the other possibilities. Just have a few more quotes to learn off for Banquo and I'll be grand for him, same with Macduff. Tomorrow evening I want to do some comparative work again, don't want to end up cramming 30 pages of notes the night before the exam (again). Need to study Heaney. If somebody else comes up that I've done I won't answer on him but just to be sure. Also need to fill some gaps in knowledge on Bishop, then I'm ready for poetry. Read some notes on leavingcertenglish.net on paper 1. Some good stuff, I think I'll do a Question B from a comprehension either tomorrow or Saturday, and a comp. if I've time. Not to worried about the comprehension, has never been a problem :)

-Accounting: I decided to take a look at the syllabus just to see what exactly can be asked. I have almost every base covered which is good. I need to do some Published and Tabular questions over the weekend. Also a 100mk Suspense. Everything else is grand I think. Think I have almost all of my theory known, something I thought I'd never say :D

Well that's today's lot, think that's everything. Strange to think this day next week I'll be preparing for Maths Paper 1.

Afternoon today:

Business: prepared about 10 question 3's and any EU stuff that comes up. Probably end up doing it, fairly confident with all that jazz. Same kind of thing every year anyway.

Physics: finished the 45 pages of definitions and tested myself. Got almost all of them spot on. Nice. Can put them away now for a while. Head is melted from doing them all at once :)

Taking a little break, will have an evening update later, stay tuned ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement