Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Hotel for Fine Dining?

• 14-04-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

We are moving to Galway in September and as a chef my oh would like to know which hotel has the best food in terms of restaurant fine dining from the list below:

Glenlo abbey (5 star)
    g hotel (5 star)

As those are the only 5 stars, good 4 stars he has heard about:

Radisson (4 star)
    Park House (4 star)

If anyone could rank them, describe experience or give any comments, critique it would be much appreciated.

Also if there is any other hotel that someone feels a mention for its food please do tell!

Many thanks :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The food in Park House is a bit "old fashioned" for my liking but if you like that, they cook it well.

I think the G is over-rated on many levels.

I do like the Radisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The G and Glenlo are very overated. Radisson is decent enough as is the park house and i'd prefer either of these to their "5-star counterparts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Salthill Hotel is pretty good aswell, think its a 4 star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any particular reason you are limiting your choice to hotel restaurants. There are some beautiful restaurants around that would probably rate higher for food than the hotels you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I don't really think that there are any hotels in Galway that would qualify as "fine dining". At best, they're mediocre.

Eating generally in Galway is less formal and to an extent, less pretentious, than elsewhere. Having said that it would be nice to have somewhere where the whole silver service style with quality food was available, as an option.

What Galway excels at is casual high quality fare. Try Ard Bia, Oscars, Kai, Aniar amongst others. Skip the hotels.

Don't expect to find anything like the Merrion or the Cliff House. If your OH is into that style he might want to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

As far as food in Galway goes, the Restaurant scene has more places you could call fine dining than the hotel scene.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hotels in Galway are not paragons of fine dining as a rule, but I've eaten in the radisson twice, granted both times in a banquet style situation, and I can categorically state it was some of the worst food I've had the misfortune to be served.

The Twelve in Barna has the best food by a mile for a hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We had a very pleasant evening in The Twelve once but then both got food poisoning the next day. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Salthill Hotel is pretty good aswell, think its a 4 star

Never understood how this place is rated so highly in Galway. Stay here with work every now and again, and its not the best imo. Not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

vkid wrote: »
    Never understood how this place is rated so highly in Galway. Stay here with work every now and again, and its not the best imo. Not by a long shot.

Agreed on the food front. Eat their twice and was not impressed either time. Found the quality poor tbh.

As stated above you will not really get fine dining experience in Galway hotels. Plenty of restaurants about that offer superior experience so my advise is to not be fixated on 4-Star and 5-Star nonsense and find a nice standalone restaurant instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The Ardilaun Hotel is surely worth a shot? I've had Sunday lunch there a few times and it is excellent.

The Twelve is meh.

'Tis a pity you are limiting yourself to hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paddyfield wrote: »
    The Ardilaun Hotel is surely worth a shot? I've had Sunday lunch there a few times and it is excellent.

The Twelve is meh.

'Tis a pity you are limiting yourself to hotels.

Ardilaun is deffo hit and miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Ardilaun is deffo hit and miss.

Hit for me. My favourite hotel in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The twelve is great for everything but desert. Popping candy and marshmallows on EVERYTHING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

vkid wrote: »

Yeah agree with this (Salthill Hotel). It might be a popular large wedding hotel but I have never been impressed. And it as so much potential location wise.

Advertisement