Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is doughiska the next westside?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello All,
    My friend is looking to buy a house. She seen in doughiska a place for €80,000. There was some work that was needed on it. She asked a few people about the area. People working in the factories were saying they would not buy or live there. Even saying they would not walk there at night. Gangs are starting to appear there.

Is doughiska slowly turning in to the next westside? Can not think of any dodgy places in galway city any more so that is why i was wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Been living in Doughiska for 3 and a half years now, and have to say I never noticed any "gangs" around the place. Never really had any trouble here at all actually. However, I don't go on many midnight walks so I might just be missing all this...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I lived in Westside for a year and it was fine. I think it's a bit overexaggerated (although I am from Blanchardstown, so that could contribute). But I felt totally safe, even when I'd go out for my 2am insomnia caused runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Here we go again one place V the other place, Galway is a very safe place to live, I live in the Westside and never had a problem in 20 years here I hate this class carry on about where to live, in fact there is more youth problems in other so called nice areas than in the long estabilished locations.
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What a load of shyte.

Doughiska is made up of a LOT of estates.

Yes, there is one area where the guards where present 24X7, to stop the Limerick drug lads getting hold again - and where I know for a fact that a local drug-dealer turned up to the neighbourhood watch meetings. But I also know for a fact that there are some mighty nice people living in that estate too. And there is a very high rate of employment (compared to Westside), 'cos it's so close to the factories.

And there's another estate further down the road that has a lot of guards living in it. Very nice estate, though some people believe the management company is a little harsh on the carparking front. And a bunch of other estates in between too.

Fantastic primary and secondary schools have been set up, too. (Something totally missing from Westside, AFAIK).

Worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

evoke wrote: »
    Hello All,
    My friend is looking to buy a house. She seen in doughiska a place for €80,000. There was some work that was needed on it. She asked a few people about the area. People working in the factories were saying they would not buy or live there. Even saying they would not walk there at night. Gangs are starting to appear there.

Is doughiska slowly turning in to the next westside? Can not think of any dodgy places in galway city any more so that is why i was wondering.

I do not know how much weight I would give to the opinion of Joe Bloggs. Just look at the Advertiser and City Tribune for about two months and make a list of where the troublemakers come from.

If Doughiska crops up regularly in these reports of theft, feuding, burglary etc then you know what kind of area it is to live in. Would you choose to live there if you found a place in Taylors Hill for the same money? Why? Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's a renewed, post Celtic Tiger bias against certain areas in the city. Ballybane and Doughiska being two that get most mentions.
    I don't live in Doughiska, but my daughter goes to the new secondary school there and we spend a lot of time down there.
    The estates seem well maintained and the park is fantastic( you can walk through to Merlin Park woods from here too). My wife and I take regular walks down there and never get hassled, day or evening. I'd have my wits about me walking ANYWHERE at night, but again, never been bothered.
    Doughiska has a relatively young, ethnically diverse population which will stand to it, as the area evolves.

There are several houses to rent in Doughiska. Why not rent for a few months to see if the area suits her or not.

Finally....Spent several years in Westside and 99.9% of the people are decent, salt of the earth types, who I would happily have as neighbours.
    So enough of the " another Westside" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Threads like this are always destined for doom. It's really get's people's backs up when someone posts something negative about one's neighbourhood. There are positives and negatives to both Westside and Doughiska but it is certainly well known that Doughiska has a lot more "undesirables" living there now than their used to be, but no more so than a lot of other areas in Galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

zarquon wrote: »
    Threads like this are always destined for doom. It's really get's people's backs up when someone posts something negative about one's neighbourhood. There are positives and negatives to both Westside and Doughiska but it is certainly well known that Doughiska has a lot more "undesirables" living there now than their used to be, but no more so than a lot of other areas in Galway too.

I agree with most of that. It seems a fair comment.

The last part however is debatable. Again, monitor the local papers over a few months and it will give you a clear, unbiased and objective view of estates that seem to have many troublemakers. I would not ignore that if I were going to buy in Galway.

zarquon wrote: »

So why mention Doughiska by name, if its no more than a lot if other areas?
    And how is it "well known" that there are a lot of undesirables living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What a load of shyte.

Doughiska is made up of a LOT of estates.

Yes, there is one area where the guards where present 24X7, to stop the Limerick drug lads getting hold again - and where I know for a fact that a local drug-dealer turned up to the neighbourhood watch meetings. But I also know for a fact that there are some mighty nice people living in that estate too. And there is a very high rate of employment (compared to Westside), 'cos it's so close to the factories.

And there's another estate further down the road that has a lot of guards living in it. Very nice estate, though some people believe the management company is a little harsh on the carparking front. And a bunch of other estates in between too.

Fantastic primary and secondary schools have been set up, too. (Something totally missing from Westside, AFAIK).

Worlds apart.

I wouldn't say "worlds apart" at all now. I too have plenty experience of Westside and never had any trouble, nor can I remember anyone I know personally having had trouble. Of course you will find it if you go looking for it but most people live perfectly peaceful lives in Westside.

Also there are plenty schools within walking distance of Westside that do a great job and have good reputations. The Presentation Primary in Shantalla for one does an excellent job and is equipped to deal with children from all manner of backgrounds and gets them any help needed often much faster than schools from more affluent demographics. There's also Taylor's, Selerno,Enda's and St Mary's within reasonable distance of Westside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I live in the Westside also and never had a problem, I walk into town and home again at the weekend and I never have any reason to worry about anything happening to me, I personally think we are very lucky living in Galway no matter what part of the City you live in, its very crime free compared to other places in the Country and long may it continue.
    Mrs O Bumble

There is a school in Shantalla, St Marys, The Presentation etc etc so wrong on that one and of course we have the University just down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've lived in Doughiska for 1.5 years now and there's no problem at all. It's a very decent place to live. There's one "unfinished" Estate down behind the Centra (Fionn Uisce?) and that is quite bad alright. I'd feel very sorry for anyone who paid a Celtic Tiger price for anything in there as it's really a disgrace the way the developers left it. Not dangerous at all IMO, but really in a poor state of repair.

The new school buildings are very impressive I must say and the park / play area is a great facility for young and old. The newly relocated Lidl is in a much better / more modern location now too.

As a previous poster mentioned, the Estate I'm in is very strict on parking rules, but I actually like this as it stops people taking the p1ss with abandoning multiple cars, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There is a school in Shantalla, St Marys, The Presentation etc etc so wrong on that one and of course we have the University just down the road

Search a bit in here, and you will find a thread where a proud Shantallauvian declares in no undertain terms that Shantalla is not in the Westside, and never will be. (It wasn't me.)

Cue the discussion about the-west / westside / the west side of the city.

Yeah, ok, "world apart" is too strong. Apologies.

But the immigrants I know (many from Doughiska) are focussed, achieving people with big ambitions for their children. I just don't see it having the low expectations that some other parts of the city do.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I've lived in Doughiska for 1.5 years now and there's no problem at all. It's a very decent place to live. There's one "unfinished" Estate down behind the Centra (Fionn Uisce?) and that is quite bad alright. I'd feel very sorry for anyone who paid a Celtic Tiger price for anything in there as it's really a disgrace the way the developers left it. Not dangerous at all IMO, but really in a poor state of repair.

The new school buildings are very impressive I must say and the park / play area is a great facility for young and old. The newly relocated Lidl is in a much better / more modern location now too.

As a previous poster mentioned, the Estate I'm in is very strict on parking rules, but I actually like this as it stops people taking the p1ss with abandoning multiple cars, etc.

Can I ask what estate is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

verywell wrote: »
    Can I ask what estate is this?

Coill Tire / An Fiodain. Apcoa clampers go through phases of being very active there! There was a while where I hadn't seen them in months but more recently I see cars getting clamped regularly.

Each house/apartment gets at least 2 parking permits and if you're a visitor all you have to do is text in your Reg # for 24 hour parking, so if you're careful it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It is all very subjective. When I first moved to Galway I moved in with my cousin who lived in Wellpark and told me she felt unsafe walking around there at night. I found this hilarious, I grew up in Manchester, and had lived in Dublin and Cork. She had spent all her life in rural Mayo. We have very different views on what 'unsafe' is. I'm sure these 'gangs' are just groups of teens, being teenagers. They don't tend to carry guns and shanks and get pack tattoos :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

On the subject of the particular property in question. There may be reasons that the property is for sale for 80k in particular if its an apartment make sure the management company has not gone bust or you are unlikely to have block insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Search a bit in here, and you will find a thread where a proud Shantallauvian declares in no undertain terms that Shantalla is not in the Westside, and never will be. (It wasn't me.)

Cue the discussion about the-west / westside / the west side of the city.

Yeah, ok, "world apart" is too strong. Apologies.

But the immigrants I know (many from Doughiska) are focussed, achieving people with big ambitions for their children. I just don't see it having the low expectations that some other parts of the city do.

I think you'll find the very same true of the majority people in westside. I have several friends who grew up in Westside. All have degrees,most have postgrad education. All are gainfully employed and all had parents who were very eager to see them succeed and were hardworking people themselves. It's unfair to characterise such a big area as having low expectations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The answer is no.
    It is the next Eastside yo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

And of course our President lives in the Westside :D:D

• Advertisement

Aerohead wrote: »
    And of course our President lives in the Westside :D:D

Westside of Dublin?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

1/2 of the area is build properly, 1/2 is worst than substandard (can't name names as I don't want to be banned) some estates won't be taken over by the council as not properly finished. So advice is do the research as the area may take many years to be finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Also compared to other cities Galway is fairly hassle free and most of people I know from westside are decent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement