Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coriander root for thai curry paste

Options
  • 04-04-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all

I am desperately trying to find coriander root to prepare a thai curry paste.
    I have tried in the asian markets of Rathmines, Drury and Abbey st... but no luck...

They are more Chinese cuisine oriented and they dont have.

Does anybody know of any place?
    Where do Thai restaurants in Dublin get the coriander root from?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure but i don't think it's really sold as a separate product. Fresh coriander from Thailand comes with the roots still attached, rather than cut off .. I used to buy it like that once from a Thai shop, but that was in the Netherlands, so not much use to you. Maybe just ask at a Thai restaurant where they get their supplies from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If you bought a potted coriander plant could you get the roots off that or is it a different thing entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not sure but i don't think it's really sold as a separate product. Fresh coriander from Thailand comes with the roots still attached, rather than cut off .. I used to buy it like that once from a Thai shop, but that was in the Netherlands, so not much use to you. Maybe just ask at a Thai restaurant where they get their supplies from.

Thanks ALun, asking a thai restaurant might be a good idea

I know in some places you can buy it frozen imported from thailand, but i could not find any place that has them
    http://highheelgourmet.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/coriander-root-1.jpg

If you bought a potted coriander plant could you get the roots off that or is it a different thing entirely?

That will work, but you need the coriander plant to be grown for a couple of months and have a thick stem of around 2cm. Otherwise the root will be too small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I know that Saba has a cookery course where they bring you to an Asian Market (but considering the location it may be the Asia Market on Drury St that you've already been too), you could enquire about a cookery course and ask where it is they bring you to? Or even just ask where they buy coriander root, they'd probably be helpful

https://www.facebook.com/AsiaMarket.ie

Actually, Camille Thai are lovely on their Facebook page, I'd chance asking them too

https://www.facebook.com/CamileThai

This is melting my head slightly because I *know* I've bought coriander with a root before, I spent much time standing in the kitchen looking at it going 'Well, that's unusual'. I think it might have been in one of the shops on Parnell Street, so if you had some time to mooch around checking in the various markets on the Fibbers/Kimchi end of Parnell Street you might get lucky. There may be, possibly, a Thai shop down towards the Gardiner Street end, on the corner just across from the social welfare office.

• Advertisement

I know that Saba has a cookery course where they bring you to an Asian Market (but considering the location it may be the Asia Market on Drury St that you've already been too), you could enquire about a cookery course and ask where it is they bring you to? Or even just ask where they buy coriander root, they'd probably be helpful

https://www.facebook.com/AsiaMarket.ie

Actually, Camille Thai are lovely on their Facebook page, I'd chance asking them too

https://www.facebook.com/CamileThai

This is melting my head slightly because I *know* I've bought coriander with a root before, I spent much time standing in the kitchen looking at it going 'Well, that's unusual'. I think it might have been in one of the shops on Parnell Street, so if you had some time to mooch around checking in the various markets on the Fibbers/Kimchi end of Parnell Street you might get lucky. There may be, possibly, a Thai shop down towards the Gardiner Street end, on the corner just across from the social welfare office.

Thanks a lot for your reply
    I also thought about Saba and their cooking course and i came up with your same conclusion. The food in there is lovely. I will ask them next time I go there for lunch

I tried Camille for take away once and i did not find it very thai authentic. Unlucky maybe?

Thanks for the Parnell street shops tip. I will definitely give it a go. I have to try the Moore st ones too.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

asian shops often sell bunches of coriander with the roots on. I usually cut them off and freeze them for when i want to make a paste.

asian shops often sell bunches of coriander with the roots on. I usually cut them off and freeze them for when i want to make a paste.

Thanks, I should probably ask again or go to other shops. In the 3 asian shops the roots were already cut off and when I asked about it I got a categorical NO. I was probably unlucky

Cheers

Advertisement