Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MacBook Pro , Should I ?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 12:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I currently have 2010 edition of the macbook pro with the below specs :

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
    500 GB ATA Hard Drive

She just has not ran correctly since the upgrade to Maverick's ,

First it was over heating with very little strain on the it , couple of web pages open , few excel sheets and mail

The battery took an absolute pasting and I would be lucky to get an hour from her from full charge , I replaced it the battery and to be honest its not much better .

I would like to do a small bit of photoshop or iMove work with it but it does not seem up to the task , very slow to load , and hanging .

Im putting it down to mavericks at this stage, but there could be something else a miss.

Now would I see much of performance boost from the below

€1980
    MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    512GB Flash Storage
    8GB Of Ram ( Dont have the one with 16Gb in Stock and I can have this tomorrow)
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

OR

€2135
    MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    with 2GB GDDR5 memory

Its €190 extra on both to go with the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz

I would be happy with the non Retina screen but for the 2.9Mhz dual core processor I would have to wait and there is not too much of a price difference to the quad core i7

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd recommend finding out what the problem with your existing machine is before buying another one. The problem isn't Macericks, which is running great for me on a 2009 MBP with lower specs. My battery life has improved considerably. You may have a rogue process running in the background, like an Anti-virus app or something. If you aren't able to narrow down the issue, try a clean install.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I'd recommend finding out what the problem with your existing machine is before buying another one. The problem isn't Macericks, which is running great for me on a 2009 MBP with lower specs. My battery life has improved considerably. You may have a rogue process running in the background, like an Anti-virus app or something. If you aren't able to narrow down the issue, try a clean install.

Will I be able to continue with all my files and folders after the clean install with a backup from Time Machine ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Will I be able to continue with all my files and folders after the clean install with a backup from Time Machine ?

Thanks

Your best option would be to do a Time Machine backup and a manual backup, and then only copy over the files you need. It's a bit more time consuming but it's the best way to get a clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you want to breath some new life into the machine then spend a few quid on a decent SSD - way cheaper than a new computer but just like having a new machine !

The i7 is a powerful processor so something is seriously putting pressure on it for it to slow down, my guess is that your hard drive is being hammered due to indexing or as mentioned above you've had a bit of leftovers after the update to Mavericks.

Clean install to an SSD then import your documents over from the Time Machine backup.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm thinking of buying a new MBP 16GB. I've been told to wait because the product is due a refresh. Is this true and should I wait?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm thinking of buying a new MBP 16GB. I've been told to wait because the product is due a refresh. Is this true and should I wait?

The regular Pro is due to be discontinued. The Retina was last refreshed in October. I’d say it will be mid to late summer before it’s refreshed again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well , I went with option 2 above in the end .

I'm migrating from one to the other now , painfully slow experience ! 10 hours , I only had 250 GB on it .

My time machine wouldn't take my password to access the local server so I have the two machines sitting by the router .

Strangely enough when I plug in the Ethernet cable it's adds about 2 hours onto the transfer time .

I'm going to keep the old one , wipe it down , fresh install and get a 256 flash drive for it and keep it as a house machine that herself can use or for downloads onto my NaS , il keep my new baby just for me and work ,

It's a lot lighter and some what thiner.

What it's all loaded up I'm going to delete most of the rubbish from it, just out of courisity should my mini display port on my mid 2010 mbp be able to connect with my new thunderbolt port for the migration ? There both the same port I know , but the thunderbolt is the newer version .

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

€2135
    MacBook Pro Retina 15"
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    with 2GB GDDR5 memory

Hey man, sorry to go off topic but where are you getting this spec for €2135 if you dont mind me asking? Thanks

Hey man, sorry to go off topic but where are you getting this spec for €2135 if you dont mind me asking? Thanks

I buy from a trade IT company in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I buy from a trade IT company in the UK

What do you call the company?

• Advertisement

techdata.co.uk formally C2K

Advertisement