Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent's journalistic integrity non-existant

Options
  • 08-06-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

I just read an amazingly inaccurate and in some areas down right false piece of fiction in the indo.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/the-great-lisbon-tax-ambush-1401908.html

1. The European Council does not decide who gets the funding from the EU and can't block funding to states without a majority vote. After Lisbon this vote would have to be held in public for all the world to see. The commission decides were the funding goes.

2. The commissioners are not answerable to the states from which the commissioners come. They are only answerable to the European council and can only be overruled by a QMV vote or in some cases a unanimous vote. Which after Lisbon would have to be held in public.

3. The commission does not vote or hold any veto's, one commissioner can't block a proposal from another commissioner.

4. Member states only have the power to nominate a commissioner from their home country. The council and the parliament can then block the commissioner if they don't like them. After Lisbon the members states can only suggest a commissioner, the European council and the parliament can choose whether to go with the suggestion or select someone else.

5. We loose the right to nominate a commissioner under the terms of the Nice treaty in 2009. Lisbon in fact delays this till 2014.

6. Any institutions of the EU have no say over direct taxation. The ECJ has also ruled against one member state taxing a business from another member. There is no possible way for anyone or any institution from Europe forcing a common direct tax base including a common corporate tax base on us. To introduce on common direct tax base would require a referenda in this country no exceptions.

Shane Ross is the business editor for the Sunday Independent. The fact that he does not know this speaks volumes about the entire business sections journalistic integrity. I simply find it astonishing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Indeed, and apart from the inaccuracies, it also shows a frightful level of paranoia.

I'm sure Shane Ross would say he was pro-European, like all the no side, but if you really believe this is how countries treat each other in the EU, then logically you should be demanding a withdrawal.

I just despair. If Europe were like this why would we want to be a part of it at all. It isn't like this, which is why we do want to be a part.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He did much the same last week as well. It is the hackneyed quality of the journalism that bothers me more. My own feeling is that if this passed is that there will be a collective sigh of relief and they'll get on with working out how to implement the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I also feel compelled to add that the scenario he describes, the larger countries forcing us to not veto something or else lose something else, could happen with or without Lisbon.

In fact it could have happened in many areas for many years, but as far as we know it never has.

So, since he acknowledges the veto in tax and therefore Lisbon not making a difference it would seem he wants to vote no, not on the treaty, but rather as a warning that we do not trust the other countries and want to signal that in big letters...

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

The Independent - A tabloid pretending to be a broadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The Independent - A tabloid pretending to be a broadsheet.

Interestingly, the Independent apparently gets its syndicated Europe coverage from the very eurosceptic UK Daily Telegraph.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Interestingly, the Independent apparently gets its syndicated Europe coverage from the very eurosceptic UK Daily Telegraph.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Do they also run TV3? Or maybe libertas does?
    The 3 presenters of Ireland AM this morning all promoted their personal opinion advocating a no vote just before their 9am news with no opposing opinion.

Job for the BCI ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

the sunday indo has been broadly in favour of the treaty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

the sunday indo has been broadly in favour of the treaty

To put it lightly ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Indo has, like most papers columists who are allowed to say as they see fit - Kevin Myers is allowed to dissent from the Irish Times vote YES stance for example.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

mike65 wrote: »
    The Indo has, like most papers columists who are allowed to say as they see fit - Kevin Myers is allowed to dissent from the Irish Times vote YES stance for example.

Mike.

While I may not agree with Kevin Myers on a lot of his stances I have never seen him write an article as inaccurate as that one. It was like a Tom Clancy novel go wrong. Kevin Myers writes for the Indo now btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Irish Times has been known to have regular columnists appearing side by side on the same page each week, who not only totally disagree with the other's viewpoint but take potshots at each other :)

The Indo would be far more 'on message'. You would be unlikely to read anything in the business page criticising the performance of Fitzwilton, for instance...

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

kevin myers article in todays indo , in which he urges a no vote is entirely predictable , those like kevin who have such an adorring affection for both the uk and the usa are usually euro sceptics

were we to be voting on thursday to rejoin the commonwealth or to become the 51st state . myers would be out canvassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He published in the wrong paper so.

Mike.

Advertisement