Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protest (as in.... would you) NOT TARA!

• 13-03-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭

Well, inspired by the Tara thread, but not about it.

Question simply put (especially to the anti-protesters in that thread): If there was an issue you felt strognly about, would you protest? Would you get a group together to blockade government-approved schemes from progressing?

Or would you let the government do as they will, after all, it was passed by the people you elected?

I ask because it's all very well hippie-bashing and sitting back to watch the waterings and baton charges, but are the people advocating this really that spineless? I mean, you might not agree with the principle, but the right to protest dfoes exist and, with a government like ours that doesn't, getting in the way seems to be the only way to make your point.

So. Would you?

(Again... NO comments specific to Tara please, as there's a thread already going about that)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I would, but it'd have to be a bit more creative than getting a massive group of people together with one person with a megaphone screaming "What do we want!?", "When do we want it!?" - that just makes me cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've been raising small yeast militias around the country for several years.

We Will Rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

NO

It's not worth it, governments don't listen, I'll be dead in a couple of years anyway, big money controls everything, your stigmatised for it, corruption nearly always wins out.

The only thing that I'll stand up for is my family and friends. This country isn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

"Honk if you hate complaining, honk if you hate complaining!" Probably wouldn't be much use, overthrow for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

No I'm weak and can't shout loud enough. Wouldn't get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

govts should fear citizens, our lot dont because they think they have us taped. Coupla wee revolutions would do no harm here

:pac:< im emailing bullets as we speak
    • take that harney!
    • check yo self bertie!
    • yer not lead free now gormley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well 100,000 people took to the streets in Dublin alone back in 2003 to protest against the Iraq war,so I would say that many Irish people would protest.
    Ive been on a few protests,some succesful and some not.
    I think its a disgrace and shows how undemocratic our goverment is when literally thousands of people can go to the streets and protest against war, the health service etc etc and politicans just turn a blind eye.It shows that the goverment are not answerable to us the people and dont really have our intrests at heart, just those of big buissness,corporations and buissness man they get bribes of and do discrete favours for.
    I think people power and workers solidarity is the most important and only weapon us ordinary people have against the goverment.

panda100 wrote: »
    I think people power and workers solidarity is the most important and only weapon us ordinary people have against the goverment.
    Or like, maybe, our votes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Was at the anti-Iraq invasion protest. Would protest again (and have). Certainly not over Tara though.

• Advertisement

I was at an anti-consumerism protest in a well known shopping centre a while back actually. We sat around in the middle of the floor and meditated and handed out leaflets. We were eventually dragged out by extremely confused security guards. It was fun.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was at two protests in one. It was the iraq war protest, which i wasn't too bothered about but joined in to protest at pro-palistinian that'd tried to hijack the iraq march. Protests are fun and important but they'd be weakened if the gov.was to actually act on the protesters wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who said 'no'?! Wow, the government must love you... reminds of Reece in Malcolm in the Middle
    Drill sarg - "Son, you must be very proud of yourself!"
    Reece - "I don't know - I'm waiting for you to tell me!"

Anyway - would you actually do somethign obstructive if you really felt passionately about something? (Do you fele passionaltely about something?) Do you feel passionately about anything?

No "your ma" jokes.... :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, I would / have.

However, protest should be proportionate to the issues / principles involved. If life or liberty is involved, then risk of one's own life has always been held to be justified, and I would agree with that (whether I would have the courage is another question, I guess!). However, I would not choose to put my life recklessly at risk for issues which I would feel to be important, certainly, but less so in the grand order of things.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Or like, maybe, our votes?
    But we don't get to vote on every issue. Assume that you agree with a (hypothetical) government about most things, and certainly prefer their policies overall to those of the opposition, BUT there is one major issue / matter of principle on which you strongly disagree with them, do you raise your voice or do you shrug and say "them's the breaks, nothing to be done".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Do I look like a French farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Do I look like a French farmer?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Yes.
    Merci buckets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

naaaah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ScumLord wrote: »
    NO

It's not worth it, governments don't listen, I'll be dead in a couple of years anyway, big money controls everything, your stigmatised for it, corruption nearly always wins out.

The only thing that I'll stand up for is my family and friends. This country isn't worth it.

Remove conspiricy hat ted..

Governments do listen.. you have a vote... they follow the will of the people based upon an electoral mandate set out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Depends. If it's something I really feel strongly about, then probably maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

just reading something about another protest and how some people just can't get their head around what protest is and what violence is this is just uber bizarre
    I am really trying to
    Submitted by Derek (not verified) on Tue, 03/11/2008 - 4:00pm.
    I am really trying to understand your point. So by wasting taxpayer dollars you are stopping the war? I'm not seeing the connection. I'm not trying to be argumentative or combative, I really just don't see how it connects. I'd love the war to stop, but I don't see how wasting all that time and those resources made a dent in anything other than the relationship of people in this town. In effect you started a war right here in *******. I'm not against protests, but the port protest was not peaceful and there is no convincing me that it was. I saw the videos and the protesters were NOT peacefully protesting, they were being very agitating and refused to move, even AFTER getting pepper sprayed. Peaceful(in my opinion) is to show up, show your stance and then leave when it becomes time to leave. The port protesters would have had the sympathy and support of much more people(mine included). Instead they are becoming legends in their own minds, while alienating any kind of support from ANYBODY. It's great to have passion about something, but if it's pointed in the wrong directions it does way more harm than good. I am also curious to know what the port protesters feel they have accomplished in this situation (in regards to the goal of ending the war)

http://www.olyblog.net/port-*******-pony

so they don't move after being baton and peppered sprayed and that's somehow violent?

Advertisement