Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Starbucks (proper) ever come here?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dmcg90 wrote: »
    if Starbucks is as bad as is claimed then the smaller shops won't notice any drop in sales then.

People don't buy products, they buy brands. An independent shop can't compete with the Starbucks brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

People don't buy products, they buy brands. An independent shop can't compete with the Starbucks brand.

Smokies seems to manage just fine in NUI Galway with the Starbucks 'brand' there.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes tourists love travelling thousands of miles to find the same shops and restaurants as the place they just left.

Actually a sense of familiarity helps, such shops bring that. Tourists know exactly what they're going to get because they know it from home. Its the same reason why some people all over the world still go to Mc Donalds while on holiday, because its familiar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Smokies seems to manage just fine in NUI Galway with the Starbucks 'brand' there.

That doesn't really disprove my point, nor does it change the fact that people buy brands.

The poster I responded to said that if Starbucks was so bad then other places wouldn't notice a drop in sales (or something to that effect). My point is it doesn't matter how go or bad Starbucks coffee is because in the grand scheme of things people (generally) are buying the white cups with the starbucks logo on it, not the coffee inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Actually a sense of familiarity helps, such shops bring that. Tourists know exactly what they're going to get because they know it from home

From where are you pulling this bizarre theory that people travel in the hope of discovering exactly the same stuff they have at home?

I travel for precisely the opposite reason. So does everyone I know. I dislike what Starbucks represents, and the fact that its business plan is geared towards putting independent coffee shops out of business. Therefore I refuse to spend money in any of its outlets.

Have you ever heard a tourist saying: "This place would be great if only it had more multinational retail/food outlets"? I can't imagine a visitor to Galway saying or thinking that.

From where are you pulling this bizarre theory that people travel in the hope of discovering exactly the same stuff they have at home?

I travel for precisely the opposite reason. So does everyone I know. I dislike what Starbucks represents, and the fact that its business plan is geared towards putting independent coffee shops out of business. Therefore I refuse to spend money in any of its outlets.

Have you ever heard a tourist saying: "This place would be great if only it had more multinational retail/food outlets"? I can't imagine a visitor to Galway saying or thinking that.

Its called homogeneity, similar products, brands etc to your home market. I didn't say its going to attract visitors, its a plus however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

it doesn't matter how go or bad Starbucks coffee is because in the grand scheme of things people (generally) are buying the white cups with the starbucks logo on it, not the coffee inside.

Actually when I'm travelling, I'm quite often buying the right to spend 30-45 minutes sitting in a nice atmosphere and to use the toilets.

Sometimes I want the carbon-based things that I get given at the same time, sometimes I don't.

It'd be great if there were plenty of a locally owned places that could give me this service, but sadly here they're all called "pubs" and seem to come with an expectation that grotty decor and nasty toilets are ok, and I'm available for chatting to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Seaneh wrote: »
    The only starbuckswith free wifi in Dublin is the one in Terminal 1 in Dublin Airport. The rest of the all have either ****ty bitbuzz or other pre paid wifi services.

They all have free WiFi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I can respect the argument about competition and how this might affect other shops in the area.

There is a simple solution - do what you do better, offer great service and great products (regardless of what it is).

• Advertisement
Advertisement