Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€104 for €100

• 15-03-2008 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Whats going on here, Me thinks theres a form of money laundering going on...lol, Ebay have listings, People are selling "left over holiday money" There's a auction with two 50euro notes, 15bids... 3 hours to go, and it is currently on 80.99Pound, equals 104euro... thats not including postage, at 50cent and if theres insurance... what another euro... Is this a way of making money? ... What is the logic behind this? seriously, who will pay that... and why? me quitting my job :rolleyes: to sell currency, Is this also not illegial... selling goverment property?.... beats me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not a Bargain Alert. O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Whats going on here, Me thinks theres a form of money laundering going on...lol, Ebay have listings, People are selling "left over holiday money" There's a auction with two 50euro notes, 15bids... 3 hours to go, and it is currently on 80.99Pound, equals 104euro... thats not including postage, at 50cent and if theres insurance... what another euro... Is this a way of making money? ... What is the logic behind this? seriously, who will pay that... and why? me quitting my job :rolleyes: to sell currency, Is this also not illegial... selling goverment property?.... beats me...

cheaper than having to get it changed in the bank? banks forex commission is petty steep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Is this also not illegial... selling goverment property?.... beats me...

ya wha?

My cash is my property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Is this also not illegial... selling goverment property?.... beats me...

exchangeing one form of money to another form of money wouldnt (or shouldnt) be anymore illegal than exchangeing it for gold or any other goods and services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭stewiegriffin08

It is a bargain alert.... and yes, It is goverment property...

Suppose, so I could change my euro for more euro..? that makes sense...

• Advertisement

It is a bargain alert....

It's a bargain for me to pay 104e for 100e? How so?
    The bargain alerts forum isn't for money making ideas/schemes, it's for bargains.

and yes, It is goverment property...

In which reality?

That's either

a: bullsh1t/a myth
    b: It says it in a dusty old book which everyone ignores and only surfaces to appear in pub quizes.

It's not government property in any real sense, and it may not even be in any sense whatsoever.

Its illegal to deface legal tender... therefore the government owns all legal tender.. ! :)

"Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells,
    or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the
    Republic of Ireland, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced,
    mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened -

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five
    years, or both"

( If you owned the money yourself, It would not be Illegal to possess a altered coin.... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Bank notes are documents issued by banks and states promising to pay the bearer a certain amount of "money". They belong to whoever holds them. It says here http://www.rulesforuse.org/pub/index.php?currency=eur&lang=en that it's illegal to deface euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    My cash is my property.

Think he is right on that one. Tis illegal to discard legal tender too.

Same with your passport and stuff like that, all belongs to the govt.

• Advertisement

This turned out to be really intresting... cheers lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

It's a bargain for me to pay 104e for 100e? How so?
    The bargain alerts forum isn't for money making ideas/schemes, it's for bargains.

No its a bargain to sell 100 for 104.

It is either dodgy or the lad with the listing seems to have an awful lot of holiday money leftover, judging by his past auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

And dont forget you can pay your bus fare with stamps.

Its illegal to deface legal tender... therefore
    the government owns all legal tender.. ! :)

That's a huge leap.

It's illegal to deface my car/my house etc, but the government don't own them.

iFight wrote: »
    Think he is right on that one. Tis illegal to discard legal tender too.

Same with your passport and stuff like that, all belongs to the govt.

As I said, it may or may not be the letter of the law, but not in any real sense.
    I've noted before that it says on your passport that it is owned by the government, I haven't seen the same on cash.

As I say, if it is, it's a written in a dusty book, and it serves as a pub quiz question, that's about it.

years, or both"

( If you owned the money yourself, It would not be Illegal to possess a altered coin.... )

They will be yea. I used to have a coin in my possession (an auld 10p if memory serves) that someone had drilled a hole in.
    The government came to my door one day to arrest me, but we worked out a plea agreement of 6 months time served and 18 months probation.
    Thankfully I had a good lawyer, some were less fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

Money is owned by the bearer (you) not the government. Owning and defacing money are two seperate issues. It is illegal to deface money because it is state issued, same for your passport. But both are owned by the person not by the state.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's a huge leap.

It's illegal to deface my car/my house etc, but the government don't own them.
    It's not illegal for you to deface your car though.

Peared wrote: »
    And dont forget you can pay your bus fare with stamps.

Yea, that's meant to be b.s too though. :(
    It's not illegal for you to deface your car though.

True, but just because the government have the power to make it illegal to deface something, doesn't mean they are claiming ownership of it.

HAPPYGIRL wrote: »
    Money is owned by the bearer (you) not the government. Owning and defacing money are two seperate issues. It is illegal to deface money because it is state issued, same for your passport. But both are owned by the person not by the state.

Cool

years, or both"

If I sell you 5euro coins for a Fiver (you need change), it's illegal - by the letter of the law.

Lightened? If I stick a coin in a glass or vinegar/orange juice, it is lightened, etc.

As they say, the law is an ass. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Re stamps

Was referencing The Office to try bring a bit of sense to the conversation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

True, but just because the government have the power to make it illegal to deface something, doesn't mean they are claiming ownership of it.
    I wasn't saying they are. I was just pointing out that it's perfectly legal for you to kick the wing mirrors off your car if you choose to do so.

I wasn't saying they are. I was just pointing out that it's perfectly legal for you to kick the wing mirrors off your car if you choose to do so.

It's a right I exercise daily.

Fúcking wing mirror kicking off my car habit is costing me nearly 600euros a week. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did you know in thailand your not allowed stand on a coin.
    and your not allowed fold notes in your wallet.

you can be stopped by police anytime and searched.

if found guilty you can face a short spell in prison of a hefty fine.

its to do with the kings face on everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The illegality of defacing money would have been to do with governments needing to keep track of how many notes they have in circulation due to them writing "promise to pay the bearer" on each one. But as they now don't bother with such things as keeping gold reserves for how much currency they actually have in circulation it's not so much of an issue, although I'm sure they do still like to keep track of these things to some extent before they go off and print a new batch of notes.

So how much weight of gold would I actually get for my five euro note then?

robinph wrote:
    So how much weight of gold would I actually get for my five euro note then?

Student: Tell you what, Bart, I'll trade you the weight of a bowling ball on the eighth moon of Jupiter from my lunch for the weight of a feather on the second moon of Nepture from your lunch.

Bart: Well, OK.

The student snatches up Bart's sub.

Student: There you go.

He hands him a grape. Everybody laughs.

Student 2: I'll trade you 1,000 picoleters of my milk for 4 gills of yours.

Bart: Well, all right.

Student: Anything you say.

He takes Bart's carton and pours four tiny droplets into Bart's cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

HAPPYGIRL wrote: »

No, you're wrong.

Your passport is the property of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ireland (presuming you have an Irish passport). Look at the back page, note number 1.

Of course its not going to be enforced.... dont be stupid, It still is the law, wheter it be in a pub quiz or not... I never claimed that you would get arrested...

It still is the law, wheter it be in a pub quiz or not...

Of course its not going to be enforced

It's the law, but won't be enforced - then it should be updated.
    A law that exists that is actively not enforced/enforceable/out of date/serves no purpose needs to be erased, altered or updated, imo.

I never claimed that you would get arrested...

And I didn't claim you claimed that...

dont be stupid

:eek: Don't be a big ninnine-ninnie-poophead Stewie! :rolleyes:

lol rigger... how dare you! :)

The government do own the currency itself, not the value, They own the 5euro note, but not the value of it... know what I mean? they own the paper and the ink, worth what .0001cent? not the 5euro.... :) Thats what the law is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Maybe I should throw a fiver on ebay to see what I get for it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wow, I NEED one of these. Who ever came up with it is quite frankly a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lmao, I just clicked that link about 10 seconds from auction end....£27stg????
    What in the name of f*ck?

Advertisement