Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson price hike

Options
  • 27-06-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I went to buy a Jameson 12yo the other day, which I remembered as being pretty good value, and found it to be a whopping €64.46 in O'Briens. At first I thought my memory had failed me, but then I found this which confirmed that it use to be ~€35, and was even on special for ~€25 (I think I picked up 5 bottles that month! not enough in retrospect).

This seems like a pretty severe increase, and pits 12yo Jameson against some heavyweight competition. I actually really like the whiskey but can't see buying it vs, say, green spot at 10 euro cheaper. I'm guessing this is due to Irish Distillers attempts to bring their brands into the "premium" bracket.

Does anybody else think it's now overpriced or would you still buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Seems to me that all non - mass brand Irish whiskey has sky rocketed in price over the last 3/4 years. Seems €45 is the new €30.

The 12yo is not available for the foreseeable future and has been replaced by the Jameson special reserve. Perhaps O'Briens are chancing that people will pay more for it because it's fairly scarce on the ground these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Supply is not meeting demand basically. IDL are holding off on the 12 year old til they build up reserves otherwise it could jeopardize production of everything that comes out of midleton. Takes a long time to mature whiskey and you must remember that the YOUNGEST whiskey which goes to make the 12 year old blend is 12 years matured, there is whiskey in there that is 15, 18 years old etc. Try a bottle of Powers John's Lane instead, also a 12 year age statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

They've stopped selling it in markets like Germany, but it's still available in Ireland... albeit at an inflated price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Might be time to buy a few bottles as an investment...

• Advertisement

Most whiskey has gone up on price over the past few years. A bottle of JD is now around the €32 mark when not do long ago it was readily available for a tenner less. Same for Bushmilld, Jameson, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Most whiskey has gone up on price over the past few years. A bottle of JD is now around the €32 mark when not do long ago it was readily available for a tenner less. Same for Bushmilld, Jameson, etc.

I found a thread from 2009 earlier where someone posted that Green Spot could be got for €45. I haven't seen it anywhere under €57 in the last few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

An File wrote: »
    I found a thread from 2009 earlier where someone posted that Green Spot could be got for €45. I haven't seen it anywhere under €57 in the last few months!
    €36.95 via duty free. May have to purchase some on the way over to the US and bring it back. I assume you wouldn't be able to buy any on the homeward leg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A bottle of Jameson blend used to be 24.99 in my local Spar in 2009. I came back in 2013 and it's standard price in Dunnes/Tesco was 29.99 with some O'Briens/Spars charging 30.11. My new local Spar charges 35.99 for the standard 700ml bottle. Occasionally Dunnes and Tesco has it "on sale" for 24/25.

Big shock to the system having moved from the Czech Republic where a bottle of Jameson was 13 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Tried out the Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel and wasn't too impressed at all for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

syklops wrote: »
    A bottle of Jameson blend used to be 24.99 in my local Spar in 2009. I came back in 2013 and it's standard price in Dunnes/Tesco was 29.99
    It can still be got cheaply around christmas time. I am wondering if this is their marketing tactic, jack up the price all year round so that the reduction seems amazing when it comes. Then flog the bulk of it at the lower price but overally keep the same profits since they screw people during the year.

Same with the likes of heineken which can be €1 or €2 depending if the offer is on.

I never remember such huge reductions years ago otherwise I would have stocked up.

From december last year
    Litre Bottles
    Smirnoff, Captain Morgans €19

Jameson 70cl bottle €19

maringo wrote: »
    Captain Morgan Spiced Gold Rum 1ltr was € 30.99 Now € 23,
    Smirnoff Vodka 1ltr was € 30.99 Now € 23,
    Bacardi 1ltr was € 33.69 Now €23, :D
    Cork Dry Gin 1ltr was € 31.99 Now € 23,
    Paddy Irish Whiskey 1ltr was € 36.99 Now € 23,
    Teacher’s Scotch Whisky 1ltr was € 33.99 Now € 27

I rarely drink whiskey usually only get given bottles. But in recent years I have got jameson just to drink with mixers simply since it was going so cheap, on a par with cheap rum or vodka.

Advertisement