Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBA Playoffs 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

On a totally unrelated note, has anyone read Shaq's autobiography? Gives a great insight in to many of the players and coaches contesting these series.

It is clear that he has huge respect for Doc Rivers and calls him a great coach. The last few chapters on his time in Boston are the standout in my opinion. He is injured for large parts of the season, and when he played in the series he admits to being seriously hobbled by that achilles. He makes it clear he felt that that team was a championship team.

The ' hack a shaq 'stuff is hilarious too. He talks about the Spurs and especially Popovich utilizing this tactic and Pop getting great pleasure out of Shaq getting annoyed.

Interestingly he also talks about how everyone was always on eggshells at Cleveland with Lebron. He notes one instance when after a game they are going over the tape and a clip of lebron turning the ball over and not running back on defense. Mike Brown stays silent, then directly afterwards a clip of Mo Williams getting blocked and not hustling back is flashed up. Brown lays into Mo , Mo loses it and fair play to him stands up and says something about everyone should be treated the same.

It really is an interesting, frank and honest read. A good read for and ball lovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Available in bookshops here or do we have to buy online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

buyer95 wrote: »
    On a totally unrelated note, has anyone read Shaq's autobiography? Gives a great insight in to many of the players and coaches contesting these series.

It is clear that he has huge respect for Doc Rivers and calls him a great coach. The last few chapters on his time in Boston are the standout in my opinion. He is injured for large parts of the season, and when he played in the series he admits to being seriously hobbled by that achilles. He makes it clear he felt that that team was a championship team.

The ' hack a shaq 'stuff is hilarious too. He talks about the Spurs and especially Popovich utilizing this tactic and Pop getting great pleasure out of Shaq getting annoyed.

Interestingly he also talks about how everyone was always on eggshells at Cleveland with Lebron. He notes one instance when after a game they are going over the tape and a clip of lebron turning the ball over and not running back on defense. Mike Brown stays silent, then directly afterwards a clip of Mo Williams getting blocked and not hustling back is flashed up. Brown lays into Mo , Mo loses it and fair play to him stands up and says something about everyone should be treated the same.

It really is an interesting, frank and honest read. A good read for and ball lovers

Might order it myself, is this it?:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Shaq-Uncut-Shaquille-ONeal/9781455504411?b=-3&t=-20#Fulldescription-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

This third quarter will decide the spurs season imo. Really lost their way since looking so dominant up to game three...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Well, the Thunder are all grown up, great great series with more to come....
    Had Spurs as favs to win it outright at the start of the playoffs but also will win $200 if the Thunder win, gooo Thunder

Celtics - Thunder final is looking likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

If Chris Bosh returns to the Heat lineup tey will win the series, simple.
    God help the Celtics if anything happens Garnett, their defense is shocking without him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I dont think the Celtics can keep it up. They would have been destroyed on sunday night if they hadn't shot all those 3's. Meanwhile Miami was attacking the post and not forcing up jump shots.

I'd agree with the above poster about Garnett, the Celtics D is pretty ****e without him, Lebron walked in freely for two dunks while he was off the court.

I think the Heat will win the next 2.

I'd be absolutely amazed if the Heat didn't win the series against the Celtics.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd be absolutely amazed if the Heat didn't win the series against the Celtics.

Prepare to be amazed ;)

Prepare to be amazed ;)

I really, really hope you're right by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mc_grens

NewBoss wrote: »
    Can't renogotiate contract down, from what Larry Coon says.

Can they not extend and spread the money owed out over a period of time?

:eek: :pac: :eek: :D

Nice one Boston! NBA on ESPN jumped the gun a bit :pac:

593348936.jpg?key=519384&Expires=1338953959&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Tn0uQXuOepzs1JD2vE4~o7VmLclNcs-x3QodiDshDtHTp6lXL8Q9zDamH4qMObntPcOfq6jQB7ZkKVpX431fihWgR5MgVJmdH8HU9r9t6daGo99XId2sHrgPTYlt4EXIZ1GU~gaou~PFwxDr9LCbZ6tjVsTJ-~qLMAw9pZsSC9Q_

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

:eek: :pac: :eek: :D

Nice one Boston! NBA on ESPN jumped the gun a bit :pac:

Haha brilliant. :D

Had a suspicion this would happen tonight. I've felt all series that it's Boston's to lose rather than Heat's to win. What I wouldn't give to be in the Garden on Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Unreal, really thought the Heat would turn the screw on Boston but what the hell do I know, what a team is all I can say, will be some victory if they close it out.
    Don't know what to say about Miami, LeBron has been fantastic but they can't seem to be able to put Boston away, they have looked like they could at times but Boston always come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

FML.

I think Garnett has been a hero in this series for Boston. The intensity that he plays at on both offence and defence cannot be matched.
    Boston were on fire last night. Great 3 point shooting but they need to keep that up to win the next game.
    NBA.com today have a clip of Pierce and the 3s called Boston Three Party. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Great game. Boston showing the advantage of having depth with Miami relying on the big two, which isn't helped when Lebron goes 8 minutes without scoring in the final quarter. Nobody outside him and Wade scored more than 9, while the likes of Pietrus and Bass stepped up when it counted for important shots to wear the Heat down.

I still think this is going to a Game 7 though. But Boston are already re-writing the script so wouldn't be surprised if they finished the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Come on Boston! What a win. Pierce throwing up bricks all night and then he nails that clutch 3! Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Good Job! Good Effort!

God I love this Celtics team. Going to miss it when it gets broken up.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Good Job! Good Effort!

Thought that was hilarious for some reason even though the kid was just showing some support.

But yeah what a game, longest 16 seconds ever at the end there i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jwilco

Garnett is playing like a man on a mission, even his post match interviews have been great

Thought that was hilarious for some reason even though the kid was just showing some support.

But yeah what a game, longest 16 seconds ever at the end there i thought.

The commentators saying the crowd were in a stunned silence was just the cherry on top as well.
    jwilco wrote: »
    Garnett is playing like a man on a mission, even his post match interviews have been great

I'd imagine Mike Gearon will probably think twice before he says something about KG again.

jwilco wrote: »

Is this possibly his last NBA season?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭conlufc

Masked Man wrote: »
    Good Job! Good Effort!

That was actually Spoelstra. His reason for not playing Bosh in the 4th was ridiculous.
    Anyways, gotta say I'v nothing but admiration for the C's after watching how they've turned their season around since the all-star break.
    KG is a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

tumblr_m57jo94bdl1qaw87mo1_500.jpg

gjge1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Please Please let Spurs take Game 6.

Oklahoma fans with the t-shirts is just lame.

Kevin Durant is just so good.

Good start Spurs.

Parker on FIRE.

Quality game so far, and Durant is only starting to come alive this quarter. Jackson and Parker have been unreal. This 4th is gonna be balls to the wall.

Give the ball to Jackson.

They've tightened up on Parker.

Aye, they've done a good job of phasing him out as much as possible in the 2nd half alright. It's hard to see past OKC at this stage, though, with Durant and the crowd on their side after that fight back. But it's the type of game either could nick in the last seconds.

Delighted for OKC. A real performance of champions there. Fantastic game. Now all we need is a Heat comeback so Durant can show Lebron who the real MVP is, face-to-face.

• Advertisement

This Thunder team could dominate for years to come. Frightening to think Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden are all 23 or under.

leggo wrote: »
    Delighted for OKC. A real performance of champions there. Fantastic game. Now all we need is a Heat comeback so Durant can show Lebron who the real MVP is, face-to-face.

Would prefer the Celtics to win against the Heat, simply so I can just sit back and enjoy the final without really, really wanting one team to lose. :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That was some game. Was a tad worried early on when Parker was running riot. But I'm delighted for OKC and especially Durrant. Hopefully the Celtic pull through later on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Do you guys think OKC will be a favourite over MIA? Over Boston?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Lafortezza wrote: »
    Do you guys think OKC will be a favourite over MIA? Over Boston?

Its hard to tell. Durant is going to have a much tougher time no matter who he faces. Hes going to be guarded by an all star in Lebron or Paul Pierce. If its the Celtics then I think OKC is favourite, not so sure about Miami.

• Advertisement

Oh I'd have complete faith in OKC against Miami. They've got too many options. Miami have shown themselves to be very, very limited outside of the big two in these play-offs (though Chris Bosh does add a new threat with his perimeter shots and offensive rebounds). Whereas OKC have strength and depth althroughout, plus a point blank refusal to lose with Durant in charge. And if the Pacers and Celtics can figure them out, then OKC should be able to do so with relative ease. It'd be competitive, but OKC in 6 I think would be a safe enough bet.

I hate the Heat, but that's the best Finals option by far for me. If the Celtics do it, though, they've earned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think Miami comes back hard tonight so its going to be another close one. If its close i see Miami crumbling again and the C's pipping them at the post.

Can't wait for tonight, lets get it done C's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Delighted for OKC and Durant. OKC fans seem the most instense in the NBA while Durant seems like a honest hard working kid in a league of egos. I dont think anybody could begrudge them any of their success...unless the play the C's in the finals and beat them, then they're all a bunch of w*nkers

Lads, can anyone explain the move from Seattle to Oklahoma for the Supersonics/Thunder please? I've tried to search myself but all I can find is that it was because of a dispute between Bennett and lawmakers in Seattle.

Must be a tough time for those fans in Seattle to see their team relocated and now becoming what looks like being a dominant force in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Lads, can anyone explain the move from Seattle to Oklahoma for the Supersonics/Thunder please? I've tried to search myself but all I can find is that it was because of a dispute between Bennett and lawmakers in Seattle.

There's a documentary on YouTube about it called Sonicsgate.

Interesting couple of articles on the subject last month, Brian Phillips of Grantland wrote an open letter to Sonics fans:
    My Zombie Sweetheart: An open letter to Seattle SuperSonics fans from an OKC Thunder supporter

And Beckley Mason, a Sonics fan, responded:
    A response to Brian Phillips’ open letter to Sonics fans

More about it on that Hoopspeak site:
    Surviving the Sonics: A Personal Story of Basketball Loss

padraig_f wrote: »

Interesting couple of articles on the subject last month, Brian Phillips of Grantland wrote an open letter to Sonics fans:
    My Zombie Sweetheart: An open letter to Seattle SuperSonics fans from an OKC Thunder supporter

Brilliant, thanks very much. Just about to watch the documentary now and will read the letters after.

that documentary is really good. I wish so much that they were the sonics still:(

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

padraig_f wrote: »

Nice one.

Just read the open letter there, fascinating insight. Will give that documentary a watch later or over the weekend myself. Was curious myself as to how the whole process went about the relocation.

Just watched the documentary. A great watch, thanks Padraig.

What a shady twat that Bennett is, saying 5 months before buying the team that he's definitely interested in bringing a team to OKC and that the Sonics are a possibility, then in the press conference after buying the Sonics saying he wants to keep them in Seattle. I guess 95% of people knew they'd be moved, but openly lying to everyone despite this made it worse. Going to meetings with propositions to build the most expensive NBA arena in the worst area for traffic in the state and not even speaking at the lobby meetings, trying to turn the people against the team by gutting them and refusing to let their players talk to media etc to give the perception that there's no support. He was never serious about keeping them there, even the House Chair said so. Aubrey McClenden (part of the ownership group) of the OKC Journal then saying that they never had any intention of keeping the team in Seattle and only bought it to move it to OKC, which Bennett denied! The Ballman Group being rejected, the ''I'm a man possessed'' leaked emails, the emails between Bennett and Stern that read like love letters, no Seattle representatives on their board etc. Stern is just as bad. I wonder what the result of the verdict that the City of Seattle never bothered to find out would have been? Shocking stuff from the major to settle on that case.

Can't imagine how the Sonics fans feel, especially at the minute as their once franchise looks set to dominate the NBA for years. Felt so sorry for the radio guy, covered them for over 10 years and he looked like he just wanted to break down in tears when discussing everything, especially when he was talking about how they got Durant and he thought the market would pick up, but then Allen was traded and it became clear for certain that Bennett would move and how he naively had believed that the team would stay. It's the one thing I've always disliked about American sports, the way a franchise can be relocated.

I like the Thunder's players, but after having my eyes opened to the history of the deal thanks to that documentary I would be absolutely delighted to see things go wrong for Bennett.

Worrying about LeBron beasting tonight.

Also Wade has really gotten on my tits this season. If the Celtics don't do the job I hope OKC crush them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement