Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this correct?

Options
  • 10-09-2014 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I am looking at getting a tatoo soon and am just making sure I have the saying fully correct and spelled right. Any help would be appreciated.

Má tá tú beannaithe go leor bheith ina Éireannach, tá tú beannaithe go deo.
    If your lucky enough to be irish, your lucky enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

justshane wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am looking at getting a tatoo soon and am just making sure I have the saying fully correct and spelled right. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you want a direct translation from what you wrote in English?
    Beannaithe means blessed and ádh means luck but I suppose they can cross over.
    Más Éireannach thú, tá tú beannaithe go deo...if you are Irish, you are blessed for ever.
    Más Éireannach thú, tá an t-ádh ort go deo.....if you are Irish, you are lucky for ever.
    Wait for other suggestions if they don't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

thanks for your response. So am I right in saying my original saying said ' if you are blessed enough to be Irish, you are blessed enough' ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The translation you have in the first post would be an awful tattoo. "Go deo" means forever, not "enough", for starters.

I'll try to give you some better suggestions after I've had some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Link here with some useful info

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/topic103740.html

discussion on requested Irish tattoos here

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/topic103546-40.html#p745910

list of seanfhocal here ( not that you'd use most of them but anyways)

http://homepage.eircom.net/~pfur/seanfhocailGB.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

Más Eireannach thú, beidh leat....If you're Irish you're lucky/will be successful..., bit shorter...I suppose it depends on what part of the body you're getting it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 GaedhealGlas

What about:
    Má tá sé d'ádh ort bheith i d'Éireannach, tá ádh do dhóthain agat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

justshane wrote: »

Don't use the one you suggest above, it's very longwinded - and it is incorrect. You would need to use "i d'Éireannach" Gaedheal Glas suggestion is a perfect direct translation "Má tá sé d'ádh ort bheith i d'Éireannach, tá ádh do dhóthain agat"

But my favourite suggestion here is Pandora09 "Más Eireannach thú, beidh leat" It's short, to the point, and it flows naturally in Irish, sounds like something a native speaker would say.

Be very careful about getting a tattoo right.

Advertisement