Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Dry-Lining

• 27-08-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi

We're considering getting external dry-lining in our house. We can't pump the walls because most of the house doesn't have cavity walls and we decided against internal dry-lining. I just wanted to ask anyone who has external dry-lining in their house about their opinions.

Are you happy with it overall?
    Any problems that you think we should be aware of?

I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Hi

We can't get internal dry-lining because we can't pump the walls and we've priced it with a few people already. .

Whats the reason you cant get the walls pumped or the walls drylined?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

kieran. wrote: »
    Whats the reason you cant get the walls pumped or the walls drylined?

Hey sorry I wrote gibberish by accident re-editing what I wrote. We can't have the walls pumped because most of the house doesn't have a cavity wall. We decided against internal dry-lining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you do go external, remember, its soft. NEVER put a ladder against it to clean the windows. Kids dumping bikes at side entrance-handlebars can damage surface too ). Just have to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I have some experience in External insulation my advise would be simple
    1. Make sure and see at least 3 examples of a contractors work for quality of work prior to awarding any contract.
    2. Ensure the system is NSAI certified
    3. Make sure you consider impact the extenral insulation on all of the items attached to the wall at the moment such as Window, cills, Downpipe Etc.
    4. Insist on a double layer of reinforcing mesh in the render layer.
    My prefence would be for the knauf - Warmwall System with the Acrylic Render but there are many good systems out there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

If you have gas, contact Bord Gais Networks to check the price of removing & extending the gas meter. This can be very costly as it's not just a matter of moving the box. The pipes cannot be buried so must be moved also.

Electrical meter boxes have criteria also.

You should look into this before proceeding as it can be a significant cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I just came across your thread. We got external insulation in 2010 for our completely uninsulated bungalow. It has made a massive difference. The house is a lot more comfortable to live in. We have not had any issues with cracking or breaking of the acrylic. The front door and frame had to be replaced recently following a burglary. This did not affect the external insulation, despite the fears of the door company.
    It is not very obvious that the house is externally insulated, compared to the neighbours. The down pipes turn inwards at the bottom and the windows are a bit more recessed. The painted metal sills don't stand out very much. Family members have mixed us up with a similar coloured house down the road.
    The only down-side is the expense. I am happy that we went for it.

Advertisement