Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a Bathroom Mirror

Options
  • 25-08-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Want to hang the mirror below in the bathroom. The wall on which I want to hang it is an ICF wall and is built up as per the pic below.

I think I should be okay using the screws pictured but just want an opinion before I start drilling!!!!

[IMG][/img]jp0dMa.png

[IMG][/img]29cmlL.jpg

[IMG][/img]53kgge.jpg

Thanks all....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Nope, they won't work. Worst creation ever IMO. Just get a 5 or 6mm tile bit and a regular plastic wall plug. 1 screw, and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dodzy wrote: »
    Nope, they won't work. Worst creation ever IMO. Just get a 5 or 6mm tile bit and a regular plastic wall plug. 1 screw, and you're done.

How thick is the insulation?

Most of the load from the mirror is downwards, so shouldn't take much to hold it up. You'll probably get away with the fixing shown, provided you can screw it down tight and get it to expand in the wall.

What's the back of your mirror like? Does it want to hang on the screw head? I'd probably place a little spacer (5mm) on the screw so the head sticks out when it's screwed tight, you can then hang the mirror on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A bit prit pads behind the mirror as well as the screw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You can get the double-sided tape and also the quick dry industrial strength glue and just stick it to the tile.

I got it from the shop I bought my mirrors from. No screws or drilling needed.

How thick is the insulation?

. You'll probably get away with the fixing shown.....
    No, no you will not. The fittings are only for plasterboard. OP, you have 2 options. Adhesive or drill & plug. Either will be fine.

• Advertisement

No, no you will not. The fittings are only for plasterboard. OP, you have 2 options. Adhesive or drill & plug. Either will be fine.

The op has said there is plasterboard behind the tiles. It's insulated plaster board, but plasterboard all the same, that fitting will expand in the insulation behind the plaster board.

This is assuming that the fixing is shorter than the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Firstly many thanks for all the replies to my OP

Anyway, the wall is built up as follows:
    Standard tile
    standard plasterboard
    ICF insulation (approx 2&1/2 inch)
    Mass concrete.

Will prob simply drill and plag and hang the mirror of a standard screw..... as the fixings I got dont seem to be getting more recommedation here.

Thanks again

The op has said there is plasterboard behind the tiles. It's insulated plaster board, but plasterboard all the same, that fitting will expand in the insulation behind the plaster board.

This is assuming that the fixing is shorter than the insulation.
    the pictured fitting above is a metal, self drive type. Only for use on PB. Nothing else. Will most likely damage a pre-drilled tile.

the pictured fitting above is a metal, self drive type. Only for use on PB. Nothing else. Will most likely damage a pre-drilled tile.

apologies i couldn't see the picture properly. Yea there's no way you'd get that into a tile :eek:

I thought he was suggesting using these:-
    https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/images/FIXHOLL.gif

If there's only 2" of insulation i'd be tempted to drill into the concrete and use a small frame fixer...

apologies i couldn't see the picture properly. Yea there's no way you'd get that into a tile :eek:

I thought he was suggesting using these:-
    https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/images/FIXHOLL.gif

If there's only 2" of insulation i'd be tempted to drill into the concrete and use a small frame fixer...

The one you linked to is only for PB also. Frame-fixer into concrete is serious overkill in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Tech7 is rated for gluing mirrors. Have used it myself numerous occasions. Plenty of duct tape & squeeze into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Tech7 is rated for gluing mirrors. Have used it myself numerous occasions. Plenty of duct tape & squeeze into position.

Advertisement