Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oddest thing you've ever seen while cycling?

• 04-08-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

So today i said id go out for a cycle. I wasn't even cycling 20 mins when i came across ... A bowl of spuds..... You heard correct a bowl of spuds just chilling on the side of the road? They looked like they had sour cream? or Mayo on them? Not too sure wtf was going on....

Anyone had any weird experiences while out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A hooker flashing her cellulite ass in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Raam wrote: »
    A hooker flashing her cellulite ass in Spain.

Did you just happen to get a flat right then? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Did you just happen to get a flat right then? ;)

I would run a mile from her!

Another odd thing I saw was a duck run through a moving bicycle wheel in Amsterdam. He seemed OK after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2Cando

I was once cycling through some woods, when all of a sudden something comes out of the sky and whacks into a tree and lands on the side of the road.

Turns out it was an eagle.

It then jumped up and looked at me as if to say "If you tell anyone about this, I'll chop your balls off." and flew off into the distance...

Like the big ass eagles ? :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Another odd thing I saw was a duck run through a moving bicycle wheel in Amsterdam. He seemed OK after it.[/

Beggars belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I was tipping along one evening when a goat darted across the road in front of me. frightened the sh1t out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Nothing.

Cycling through a mountain tunnel in Spain, and for a few moments I couldn't see a thing.

I was tipping along one evening when a goat darted across the road in front of me. frightened the sh1t out of me.

A lad who was coming down a hill up the road from me hit a cat and ended up dying! Scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I saw a falcon swoop down and catch a rat on the road up ahead of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

A robotic lawnmower. Must get me one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shaun Plays Games

A man in a vest walking a goat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

A man in a vest walking a goat

i hope it was on a lead, those bastards can move when they want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Cycling along one day, the bike ahead of me looked a bit strange. A woman pedaling along with her dog in a shopping basket on the backer of her bike. The basket held in place with those elasticated wraps, and a wire mesh over the basket in case the dog tried to leg it. Only in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cycling along one day, the bike ahead of me looked a bit strange. A woman pedaling along with her dog in a shopping basket on the backer of her bike. The basket held in place with those elasticated wraps, and a wire mesh over the basket in case the dog tried to leg it. Only in Ireland.

I know a woman with that exact set-up…

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

Was in the middle of no where, about 100 mtrs from me some fella walked across the road. When I got to where he would have entered a field he was hiding beside a large tree stump that had fallen. Crouched down looking up at me. Trying to hide, but not hidden.

I think I just said WTF and carried on, laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Another odd thing I saw was a duck run through a moving bicycle wheel in Amsterdam. He seemed OK after it.[/

Beggars belief

I had a squirrel jump into my front wheel once. He spun one full revolution between the spokes and was then fired out - all without affecting the bike in any way. He was killed and landed a good bit up the road ( this was near where the new applegreen place at the Cullenmore) His body lay there for weeks making me feel guilty every time I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Another odd thing I saw was a duck run through a moving bicycle wheel in Amsterdam. He seemed OK after it.

In Amsterdam you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

A grey heron flew out of the bushes and across my handlebars. Got some fright. And had to do the limbo underneath it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

3 things come to mind:

1. Being chased up Kilmashogue Lane by an old man wielding a huge wrench - as if I wasn't suffering enough on that climb.

2. Meeting a female cyclist on the Sutton/Clontarf cycle path who was wearing nothing but a green thong.

3. Witnessing a collision between a Luas and a car right in front of me while stopped at traffic lights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

2. Meeting a female cyclist on the Sutton/Clontarf cycle path who was wearing nothing but a green thong.

I need to go to Howth more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

the late great ian gallahar cycling in from kilbride had a deer jump the hedge look at him and leapt across the road into a field. I didnt even know there were deer out there

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

gadetra wrote: »
    I need to go to Howth more...

wait for me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A man drove a SUV up onto Heuston Bridge as I was cycling over it, screeched to a halt, ran out and leapt into the water below. Never saw him came up. Rang emergency services and an off-duty Garda who was outside Heuston Station at the time also raised the alarm.

Never found out who he was or whether he survived. Never saw anything in the news about it. Summer 2008, I think.

A week or so later I saw a dog run over by a van, which was very disturbing as well.

These aren't very entertaining stories, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

I don't really count close encounters with low flying buzzards, hares and deer as odd any more. A wild boar, now that would be odd - I know there are lots of them around, but so far we have managed to steer clear of each other.

Cycling across rural Bavaria on Good Friday. I saw people out on the streets in in every village shaking strange wooden things that made a funny noise and chanting rhymes. I didn't figure out why until I got to my destination in the afternoon: the church bells don't ring on Good Friday and the Saturday, so the children use their homemade wooden instruments to mark all the hours of the day. They get to make an awful racket on a bank holiday morning AND to imagine they are performing a terribly useful public service for the rest of the village.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I ran over a scorpion in the middle of a Gila Indian reservation. Cut it in half with my front wheel, nice crunch.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Bcmf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Um... this being Amsterdam I do have to ask...what had you ingested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

A wall of flames.
    Cycling from spiddal and came across a bog fire a few years ago..
    Had to wait till it passed then cycle thru smoke..couldn't see a thing or breathe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

A wall of flames.
    Cycling from spiddal and came across a bog fire a few years ago..
    Had to wait till it passed then cycle thru smoke..couldn't see a thing or breathe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

... I once saw a cyclist stop at a red traffic light...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

pjmn wrote: »
    ... I once saw a cyclist stop at a red traffic light...
    BOOM! There it is! Who had post #34 in the pool?

I saw a guy carrying a bike frame while he was cycling today. Seemed more awkward than odd. I'm sure I've seen odder, but I can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

I got flashed by a young wan in Rathfarnham one early Sunday morning about 2 months ago

It was a real "that woman was in the nip" moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I saw a guy carrying a bike frame while he was cycling today..
    You've just reminded me that, a few months back, I spotted a chap cycling down Portland Row while carrying another bike across his shoulders. (I had a feeling that he may have 'lifted' it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

A wild boar, now that would be odd -

Been there, seen that, have a pic on my old phone (honest) . He crossed my path while holidaying in France 2 years ago, and stopped to root just off the road, hence photo-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I did some work in Taipei a few years back over the course of two years and one of the "games" we had was to count how many things, families, pets, etc. people could get on their mopeds. My record was, Man, boy, girl, pet dog and a string of dead chickens.... I think we are far down the list of mad B**tards when it comes to stringing things to bikes! These ones look alive....
    chickenmoped.jpg?w=300&h=223

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cycle surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Not technically while cycling, but I think that three hundred sixty eggs and half a handlebar is odd enough.

Accra, Ghana:

6773222673_d60477fc9d_o_d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I once saw a baby elephant coming out of St. John the Evangelist's Church in Sandymount - someone was filming, what I never found out.
    Alek wrote: »
    Not technically while cycling, but I think that three hundred sixty eggs and half a handlebar is odd enough.

Accra, Ghana:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6773222673_d60477fc9d_o_d.jpg

Seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

DaithiMC wrote: »
    I did some work in Taipei a few years back over the course of two years and one of the "games" we had was to count how many things, families, pets, etc. people could get on their mopeds. My record was, Man, boy, girl, pet dog and a string of dead chickens.... I think we are far down the list of mad B**tards when it comes to stringing things to bikes! These ones look alive....
    chickenmoped.jpg?w=300&h=223

Ha, I was just about to post about the crazy moped riders here (I'm living in Taipei).

So instead I guess I'll just mention the guy that cycled past me going the opposite direction last weekend. He was wearing a full length spiderman costume (minus the mask). It was 27 degrees centigrade. I may even have caught it on my bike camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Last year I saw a JCB overtaking a JCB. I tried to overtake em both, but the first guy was fairly moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Two limos in a Mexican standoff for a parking space at Regent's Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

I hit a snake this summer in France on a bike path. He was about 2M long
    Originally thought it was plastic/rubber, then it started to move, but I still didn't recognise it as a snake, just though the wind was blowing something across the bike path. As I got closer and saw it was a snake tried to break and avoid it but went over it. Was bricking it that it'd turn and bite me as I went over it. Luckily it didn't. It was a Montpellier Snake-non hazardous to humans-only found that out later.
    Oh and then saw Vultures up on Aubisque!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A pile of about 20 cow heads in the middle of a field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Victor wrote: »
    I once saw a baby elephant coming out of St. John the Evangelist's Church in Sandymount - someone was filming, what I never found out.

If memory serves, that was The Miracle by Neil Jordan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A pile of about 20 cow heads in the middle of a field

Thats bowel-movement-inducing, man. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Cycling home one night many years ago and saw a line of trees on fire in a graveyard. Cycled back the next day and they were all perfectly fine.

No drink or drugs taken and I stopped to double check that the trees were on fire. It was too late at night to be a sunset.

Weirded out the next day when the trees were unharmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Cycling home one night many years ago and saw a line of trees on fire in a graveyard. Cycled back the next day and they were all perfectly fine.

No drink or drugs taken and I stopped to double check that the trees were on fire. It was too late at night to be a sunset.

Weirded out the next day when the trees were unharmed.

Was that in Amsterdam too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement