Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chuculainn Skoda challange.

• 10-07-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

This event on 31 Aug from Dundalk. Anyone have any idea of numbers taking part or what sort of terrain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Not sure of the route yet myself. I will hopefully be doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

The longer route I hilly from Dundalk to Forkhill & Newtwonhamilton. Relatively flat before that

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Signed up a while ago, know the flat bit pretty well. No idea what to expect down Forkhill way. Should be good event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Looking at signing up to this. Anybody know what sort of jersey sizes they have available? Not going to throw in the extra few quid unless they have super size in stock.

• Advertisement

Anymore signed up for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

Mrs ox is planning a family lunch for the mother in law's birthday when this is on.
    I asked her would she be ok if I went to the Skoda challenge instead....

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

For those familiar with the area, what's the level of climbing in this?

130km Route
    Dundalk (Fairway's Hotel) – Inner Relief Road – Ballymascanlon – Riverstown – Longwoman’s Grave – Cornamucklaugh – Omeath – Carlingford – Grange – Ballymascanlon - Dundalk (Fairways Hotel) – Castlebellingham – M1 Exit 12 Roundabout (Dunleer) – Dromin - Ardee – Tallanstown – Louth Village – Knocksbridge – Dundalk

Can't find an appropriate routemap on the site http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-cuchulainn-c.c-challenge

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is it just me or is the route on the map ( through Armagh, past Sliamh Gullion) NOT the route detailed in the text?
    Also is it 130 km instead of the 120km? both distances mentioned here
    http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-cuchulainn-c.c-challenge

Is it just me or is the route on the map ( through Armagh, past Sliamh Gullion) NOT the route detailed in the text?
    http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-cuchulainn-c.c-challenge

Shorter route is mentioned at different lengths on that page too. Having put it through google maps it's only 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Here's a link to the route - it matches the text:

mapmyride.com/routes/view/507682074

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't think, it's you.
    But, I am easily confused.

Yeah, the definitive route is the one on the MMR link . About 820m Ascent over 130km. Lovely countryside around Omeath and Carlingford.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/507682074

Any sportives in the North East this weekend?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Has route been changed on this? Jenkinstown hill is longest climb on that new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

does anyone know what age you have to be to do this, I've read some contradictory things on the website...
    i.e if under eighteen you must have prent/gurdians consent but then in the faq pdf it states you must be 18+

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Im really interested in signing up for this,but one thing is putting me off.According to the info I downloaded from the Fit Magazine website you have to collect your "cycling pack" the evening before the event from 6pm to 9pm.I don't fancy driving all the way to Dundalk on Saturday evening just to collect my number and chip.
    Can anyone who has done any of the other Skoda cycles tell me if I can collect my cycling pack the morning off the event??I emailed Fit Magazine,but haven't had a reply.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Im really interested in signing up for this,but one thing is putting me off.According to the info I downloaded from the Fit Magazine website you have to collect your "cycling pack" the evening before the event from 6pm to 9pm.I don't fancy driving all the way to Dundalk on Saturday evening just to collect my number and chip.
    Can anyone who has done any of the other Skoda cycles tell me if I can collect my cycling pack the morning off the event??I emailed Fit Magazine,but haven't had a reply.
    Thanks in advance.

I did the skoda cycle in Cork and we signed in on the morning of the cycle, I would be more than surprised if the same doesn't apply in Dundalk. The whole day was very well run imo, well marshalled, plenty of on the road support, decent goody bag and food stop, also a bbq post cycle. Hopefully they'll hold a few more events next year.

I've just registered for this event.
    On my confirmation email, it states, that there is limited registration, on Sunday morning at the Fairways Hotel, between 8.00am and 9.00am.
    it also states that there is "pre-registration on Saturday at Western Motors(Skoda) in Drogheda between 3.00pm and 5.00pm.

@ Eamonnator,thanks for the reply,Im not driving up to Drogheda on Saturday evening just to pre-register,I'll take my chances at 8am on Sunday morning. They must think were made of money to be asking riders to drive up to Drogheda on the eve of the event to pre register!!!
    And yes I know its to make it easier for the organisers,but most sportiffs let you sign on the morning of the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Anyone know the exact distances and routes for 2014? The fit magazine website contradicts itself a few times (Fit Magazine link).

@easygoing39.
    I will PM you the number of The organiser of this event.
    I got it on my confirmation email.

@sirpsycho
    The route detail is correct.
    The map is wrong.

There is another thread floating around about this event, that has the correct map.

Cheers, it will help me decide to chance doing it or not!

Just found it too.

Here's the route link: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/507682074/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Threads merged

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @easygoing39.
    I will PM you the number of The organiser of this event.
    I got it on my confirmation email.

Let us know if there is any new info, I too would be interested in the event but not the double-trek to Dundalk / Drogheda.

Link over on Cuchulainn CC website with info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

This looks like the Tour of Louth route I did in May albeit with a little detour to add 10-15km plus the climb is earlier in the route.

I might head up to this.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    This looks like the Tour of Louth route I did in May albeit with a little detour to add 10-15km plus the climb is earlier in the route.

I might head up to this.

The climb is actually different. The top of the climb is at the same place, Longwoman's grave, but the climb starts at a different place. It is a bit longer, but the gradient is less.

Im all signed up for this now,will be collecting my "cycle pack" on the Sunday morning at the Fairways Hotel,plan to be there at 8am,so hopefully it'll be trouble free.Weather for Sunday is looking very dry and 19c,fingers crossed Met Eireann is right. Roll on a great day on the bike.

I knew there was something up with the route when I first looked at it on the fit magazine website. I'm not liking the look of that climb on my single speed :( Can we defo 100% signup on Sunday morning? I'd not be able to get up to Dundalk on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Lambretta

Missed the entry deadline at exactly 4pm, f anyone would like to sell me there entry please pm me

Thanks

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I knew there was something up with the route when I first looked at it on the fit magazine website. I'm not liking the look of that climb on my single speed :( Can we defo 100% signup on Sunday morning? I'd not be able to get up to Dundalk on Saturday.

Registration on Saturday is in DROGHEDA. There is no Skoda Dealership in Dundalk.

100% for Sunday.

• Advertisement

Lambretta wrote: »
    Missed the entry deadline at exactly 4pm, f anyone would like to sell me there entry please pm me

Thanks
    There's one for sale on the Cycling Adverts forum.

Couldn't make this due to a family commitment.
    How was it?

CPL 593H

Did the 130km,was very well marshalled,weather was dry and warm and I didn't see any crashes or bad bike manners.Will do it again next year.

I did the 130K today.
    As usual with Cuchulainn CC, it was an extremely well run event.
    Marshalling was excellent, particularly at the many roundabouts. There were 3 or 4 marshals at every one of them, warning other traffic and directing cyclists.
    Food at the finish was good, sandwiches, sausages and chicken goujons. Very tasty. Route was good, road surfaces, in the main, were very good.
    I pre-registered yesterday at the Skoda garage in Drogheda, it was quick and efficient. There was food available there, pasta and salads, it looked tasty. All in all, one of the best organised sportives, that I've done this year.
    On a side note, there was registration available, this morning, for those, who had not registered online.
    I'm told, that about 500, in total, took part.
    The event was chip timed. Before I'd finished my lunch, times were printed and posted on the dining room wall.

Well done Cuchulainn.

I was doing the Marshalling yesterday myself as I was only back from a wedding and was not fit to lift a leg over the bike. Great turnout, everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I was at the T-Junction after the Jenkinstown Hill or (mountain :)). The amount of people that asked if that was all the climbing done for the day after that climb hehe.

Fair play to all who entered and glad the weather stayed good for it. I saw one Boards Kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

logik wrote: »
    I was doing the Marshalling yesterday myself as I was only back from a wedding and was not fit to lift a leg over the bike. Great turnout, everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I was at the T-Junction after the Jenkinstown Hill or (mountain :)). The amount of people that asked if that was all the climbing done for the day after that climb hehe.

Fair play to all who entered and glad the weather stayed good for it. I saw one Boards Kit.

That was me if its the new kit black with pink details:p thanks for the great marshaling you guys did will be back next time:)

Are riders finishing chip times up on the web anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pooss_pooss

Are riders finishing chip times up on the web anywhere?

Results are on Precisiontiming.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Some lovely shots on Bookface too

https://www.facebook.com/skodacycleseries

Them 130km results are all wrong.The 1st 5 home did it in 3hrs 45mins approx.It looks like some of the 80km riders are mixed in with the 130km results.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

Great day yesterday at this event. I was marshaling at Clairmont Bridge and I was amazed at the numbers of cyclists. Also thanks to all the cyclist who thanked us as the cycled past. Also, we were blessed with the weather. Well done to the organisors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Them 130km results are all wrong.The 1st 5 home did it in 3hrs 45mins approx.It looks like some of the 80km riders are mixed in with the 130km results.

That distance and time is nothing unusual for 5 or more riders working together. Avg 35 KPH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

That distance and time is nothing unusual for 5 or more riders working together. Avg 35 KPH.

I could be misreading this, but it could be that easygoing39 knows that these were the first riders back, but there are quicker times on the list (by about 10 mins). So if it's definite that the first ones home were on the 3:45 mark, then there does look to be a mix up.

On the other hand I could be wrong and they just underestimate other cyclists!

zindicato wrote: »
    That was me if its the new kit black with pink details:p thanks for the great marshaling you guys did will be back next time:)

Yes, it must have been you so :) It was the new kit with the pink details. Looked really well actually, will have the purchase one :)

Thanks for making the effort to come down and give the route a go.

I know who the 1st 5 riders back to the Fairways are in the 130km,and they did it in 3hr 45 mins approx,6th was home in approx 3hr 55 . Chip timing results are all mixed up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement