Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realex Fire Web Awards

Options
  • 17-10-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

I hope this finds every one of you well on boards.

We are slightly miffed to say the least that we didn't make the semi final list this year for the Realex Fire Web Awards. I cannot understand this. The category we entered was the best ecommerce site.

We got to the finals list this time last year with our old website which quite frankly was way poorer than the one we currently have. We recently upgraded the site to tens times better features etc and still we didn't get in the semi final.

I'm not sour or anything but really? Okay ....

This website did make it tho. sexsiopa.com

What the hell? I'm seeing past the whole sex thing here but this website has nothing special about it. Nothing.

Our website, and you can quote me here, is "tens times better than the sexshop one". The mind boggles!!

Peoples thoughts on this?

(Anyway, I'm off now to kick the ****e out of our web designer. Not really!)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Most award gigs are rubbish and/or deeply flawed. I wouldn't worry at all. It's an Ok night out if some one else is paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

I actually think that the site you single out looks quite nice.
    Technically, functionally, pretty generic, yes.

If I had to say something good about it, I'd say that it's remarkably friendly and tasteful for a shop in this sector. Even some of the more respected sites in this area are either "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Dublin Sex Shop". So that's nice.

While I can't find on the awards site what the criteria for this category are, there is a category of awards which are definitively technical, and eCommerce isn't in that category.

I feel like they should probably detail their judging criteria on the site, and don't know why they don't. In the absence of that, I can't say if the decision was sound or not.

I actually have more time for the Web Awards than any other award in our industry. Wouldn't mind winning one myself. Should probably make my own website if I want to do that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I feel like they should probably detail their judging criteria on the site, and don't know why they don't. In the absence of that, I can't say if the decision was sound or not.

They do after the awards are over. Also I believe everyone who entered gets sent a summary of what the judges thought and graded the site on.

<bragging>

Also, we've a site in the finals :p

</bragging>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I do too! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

miralize wrote: »
    I do too! :)

Great job btw.

Only saw that was you when I was looking up a Bison Bar review the other day. Nice work!

• Advertisement

KonFusion wrote: »
    Great job btw.

Only saw that was you when I was looking up a Bison Bar review the other day. Nice work!

Cheers, although it was nominated more for the content on the site! Which of yours is up there?

miralize wrote: »
    Cheers, although it was nominated more for the content on the site! Which of yours is up there?

ActionPhotography.ie :)

You can check out the case study here if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

###### UPDATE ######

sexsiopa.com have won best ecommerce site last night at the webawards!!

I have lost all interest in these webawards after this absolute mind boggling decision.

Oh my gentle Jesus!

This has to be politics. Has to be!! The website is the plainest website I have ever seen and looks as if they did it themselves using a template or something. If this is what judges are looking for then fair enough but I think it is a crock of ****e......
    They do after the awards are over. Also I believe everyone who entered gets sent a summary of what the judges thought and graded the site on.

This does not happen. Well I know websites who entered and have never gotten this.

I have actually just gone back into the website again there and oh my god... Its actually laughable. Now don't get me wrong. It does exactly what is says on the tin but surely there were better sites than this in Ireland.

If this is the best ecommerce site in the whole of Ireland then I think something is fairly wrong somewhere!!

What is wrong with this website:
      When you click on a comment on the home page it comes up "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable." WTF? Actually these come up every so often when you are visiting other pages....
      It is a template : WP FlexiShop – A Versatile WP E-Commerce Theme - So what about all the websites out there that didn't use a template and were custom designed? How can a website be best website in Ireland if it uses a template that is available to others???? Please explain..
      The footer of the website is the worst footer I have seen on a website
      They haven't even a logo? It is just text!!

This needs to be addressed on radio or something. It is clearly not the best ecommerce website is Ireland. And what scares me even more is that the Web Awards had 80 people judging!

When you compare sexsiopa to other finalists:
    I'm going to lie down now for a while......

Please people put my mind at ease!!!

Please people put my mind at ease!!!
    Awards really don't matter. Theres no point in being bitter.

Best just let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

Theres no point in being bitter.

You have picked me up wrong my good man. I am not bitter. Not one bit. If avoca.ie or hairybaby had won they would have deserved to win as those websites are fantastically designed and well presented. (I have no affiliation with these by the way!!)

My point is sexsiopa does nothing for me. Are these so called "awards ceremonies" suppose to award people for their creativity and cutting edge designs etc? sexsiopa has neither of these....

Webawards: The Realex Fire Web Awards are held annually to recognise people who do great things on the web. The awards are judged transparently and are open to anyone in Ireland.

Bollix!

Subjective opinions and all that. The judges a few years ago put up the scoresheets (although I think it was the blog awards, but its the same guys). Fairly comprehensive process if I remember correctly.

And just because its an adult website, doesn't mean it has any less of a chance really. It looks like a default theme, but its not offensive (especially for an adult site)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

It's a nice website but, to be fair, that is largely due to Primathemes and their nice template.

I know these things aren't worth a damn but it's a shame that the award didn't go to a creative agency or someone that, y'know, actually builds websites.

_ciaran_ wrote: »
    It's a nice website but, to be fair, that is largely due to Primathemes and their nice template.

I know these things aren't worth a damn but it's a shame that the award didn't go to a creative agency or someone that, y'know, actually builds websites.

Wasn't best ecommerce site or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

Yeah best e-commerce

I guess it's more about the company that owns the website rather than the folk that made it.

Always is...

Advertisement