Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pin in Mixer Tap?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Whereabouts is some kind of pin for a kitchen mixer-tap located?
    My over-flow from the attic has been dripping since I changed my kitchen layout and was advised it could be this pin missing.
    As it stands I've the hot water disconnected from the tap and not a drip from the overflow.
    Am I on the right track or any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Hi,

My over-flow from the attic has been dripping since I changed my kitchen layout and was advised it could be this pin missing.
    As it stands I've the hot water disconnected from the tap and not a drip from the overflow.

Your probably missing some sort of non return valve on the hot. The much stronger mains is forcing itself back through the hot water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Cheers.
    Had a professional plumber do the job and am slow to call him back.

Treat me as stupid but where and what does this non-return valve go/look like?

Cheers.
    Had a professional plumber do the job and am slow to call him back.

Treat me as stupid but where and what does this non-return valve go/look like?

Generally on the hot pipe just before the tap. I could be wrong and this might not be the issue though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi,

Is it a single lever tap or two levers/handles ?

scudo2 wrote: »
    Is it a single lever tap or two levers/handles ?

2 levers.

• Advertisement

2 levers.

Replace ball cock in tank or try bending arm so that water level is lower.
    Mains water cannot feed back from taps if its 2 lever, it'll only come out spout. Put €10 in charity box if this helps pz.

I've replaced ball cock already, upper limit is still below the overflow:confused:

So got up this morning to see the overflow had leaked overnight (had put a dry sheet of ply on the ground). Since reconnected the hot water at the kitchen tap back to square one.

I have two tanks in the attic a 5 gallon and a far bigger black tank maybe 50 gallons. Each has an overflow which pop down through the soffit. I can see it's the smaller one leaks. There is an overflow coming up from the hot cylinder into this smaller tank-must be the only source of a backfeed? Is my cylinder shagged maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I've replaced ball cock already, upper limit is still below the overflow:confused:

So got up this morning to see the overflow had leaked overnight (had put a dry sheet of ply on the ground). Since reconnected the hot water at the kitchen tap back to square one.

I have two tanks in the attic a 5 gallon and a far bigger black tank maybe 50 gallons. Each has an overflow which pop down through the soffit. I can see it's the smaller one leaks. There is an overflow coming up from the hot cylinder into this smaller tank-must be the only source of a backfeed? Is my cylinder shagged maybe?

Is the smaller tank higher than the larger one.Its a possibility the coil in the cylinder is leaking into the cylinder causing a overflow.Are you using your immersion for heating water the stat could be shagged causing pitching into tank.

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Is the smaller tank higher than the larger one.Its a possibility the coil in the cylinder is leaking into the cylinder causing a overflow.Are you using your immersion for heating water the stat could be shagged causing pitching into tank.

They're both at the same height.
    Now you mention the immersion, we're using it on it's own(gas fired heating) since March so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Will I knock off the immersion for a day and see what happens?

They're both at the same height.
    Now you mention the immersion, we're using it on it's own(gas fired heating) since March so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Will I knock off the immersion for a day and see what happens?

If the immersion is the problem it should only happen when immersion is on.
    If the tanks are at the same level for the cylinder coil to be fecked it would be the small tank that was overflowing.
    Is it a new set of taps?
    Was there any changes to washing machine from 2 pipe to 1 pipe maybe a washing machine Y?

• Advertisement

If the immersion is the problem it should only happen when immersion is on.
    Hadn't taken notice of when specifically it was dripping in relation to the immersion being on tbh.
    Could it happen while water is still hot?
    If the tanks are at the same level for the cylinder coil to be fecked it would be the small tank that was overflowing.
    Is it a new set of taps?
    Spanking new mixer tap 2 lever one spout
    Was there any changes to washing machine from 2 pipe to 1 pipe maybe a washing machine Y?

No washing machine, I put it in shed a year ago.
    Only a dishwasher,plumbed in directly after the main stop valve.

Are you saying the hot vent from the cylinder is going over the small heating tank?
    You say the tanks are at the same level. Are the water levels in the tanks the same?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Are you saying the hot vent from the cylinder is going over the small heating tank?
    You say the tanks are at the same level. Are the water levels in the tanks the same?

Yeah, the hot vent is over the small heating tank.
    No, the bottom of the two tanks are at the same level, must be a foot in difference in the water levels.

Gonna switch off the immersion for a few hours and keep an eye on the drip.

Yeah, the hot vent is over the small heating tank.
    No, the bottom of the two tanks are at the same level, must be a foot in difference in the water levels.

Gonna switch off the immersion for a few hours and keep an eye on the drip.
    The hot water vent should be over the large tank for a start. It's a process of elimination then

Water level should be 3" below overflow pipe in tank. This allows for water expansion when heated. Bend the arm carefully to achieve this.

Was it the small tank you replaced ballcock?

Water level should be 3" below overflow pipe in tank. This allows for water expansion when heated. Bend the arm carefully to achieve this.

Was it the small tank you replaced ballcock?

Yup, wasn't sure of the closing mechanism. It seemed a bit finicky.

I definitely haven't got 3 inches for expansion. Off to the attic again:)

Bent the ballcock have now got 4 or 5 inches clearance.
    Had replaced the complete ballcock which had a brass hexnut for fitting to the tank, as opposed to the old one which had a plastic one and plastic threads. Remember when replacing the ballcock how the plastic threads had been crossed so whoever did the job originally tried bending it but only succeeded in pulling the threads.
    You could draw a horizontal line between the top of the inflow hole to the bottom of the overflow!!

Emptied out excess water until water started flowing in again-Ran the immersion and not a drip since:)
    Pure coincidence I blamed the plumber who did the kitchen, just goes to show!

Thanks for all the help lads.

Got up this morning to see the goddamn thing dripping away mad. Still dripping as I type....

Anything else I can try?

Got up this morning to see the goddamn thing dripping away mad. Still dripping as I type....

Anything else I can try?

The problem has to be in the taps.If you cap off the hot again and no drip that proves it.I know you said it new taps but they could be faulty passing through or the tap is not turned off dead tight.Try it just to rule it out.

The problem has to be in the taps.If you cap off the hot again and no drip that proves it.I know you said it new taps but they could be faulty passing through or the tap is not turned off dead tight.Try it just to rule it out.

Yeah it definitely stopped when I blocked off the hot at the new tap. Will try it again tomorrow.
    This is the tap if it makes any odds

http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/templates/hafele/Products.asp?param=7973&ig_id=68270&title=Monoblock+Coronda+mixer+tap

• Advertisement

Yeah it definitely stopped when I blocked off the hot at the new tap. Will try it again tomorrow.
    This is the tap if it makes any odds

http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/templates/hafele/Products.asp?param=7973&ig_id=68270&title=Monoblock+Coronda+mixer+tap

Just put an NRV on the hot

I'll pick one up tomorrow, emptied the tank down 1' to below the ballcock, tied up the ballcock and gonna wait to see what happens. Herself has the immersion set for 5.30 so I'll check it when I get up about 7 ish.

I'll pick one up tomorrow, emptied the tank down 1' to below the ballcock, tied up the ballcock and gonna wait to see what happens. Herself has the immersion set for 5.30 so I'll check it when I get up about 7 ish.

New tap must have an internal crack in it, sorry I never spotted that u said it was new.
    With two handles that means two seperate flows and the water never mixes till it actually comes out the spout as the spout is also two pipes.
    If non return valve works, great
    See how u get on with ballcock and hope I haven't wasted your time

New tap must have an internal crack in it, sorry I never spotted that u said it was new.
    With two handles that means two seperate flows and the water never mixes till it actually comes out the spout as the spout is also two pipes.
    If non return valve works, great
    See how u get on with ballcock and hope I haven't wasted your time

Not a bit! I'm only trying to find out what's wrong with any help I can get.

Still leaking away must get around to fixing it, her indoors asked would the cylinder explode over the wekend!!!:D

I replaced immersion, tied up ballcock disconnected hot water at new tap and still yet a leak,getting faster. Hot water cylinder gone?

Finally got around to it today, replaced the whole cylinder. Took out the old one handily enough. The dirtiest bit was emptying the coil as half it got on the floor. Checked the coil by plugging the bottom bottom hole with a blank-within 15 mins I had water leaving the top hole so I was happy to go shopping then.
    Was bricking it refilling the system but all went smoothly. The flax and boss white does the trick.
    Ran both immersion and heating- no leaks internally or externally phew.
    If I was doing it again I'd have emptied the heating tank before draining the coil- had a full tank come down the vent? as opposed to a pipe-full.
    Started at 8 finished at 2. Thanks for all the help lads!

Advertisement