Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning on the Dodder?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm a beginner trying to teach myself to fish on the Dodder. I've been using worms and maggots fished on the bottom (and even with a float) around dartry/miltown for ages now. I've had pleasant evenings but caught nothing.

I was wondering if anyone has had much success with worms or maggots and, if so, how? I was also wondering if anyone has tried small spinners or lures on the dodder and is this method effective?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Worms will work, small red worms (the very small ones) are best. They need to roll along the riverbed in a natural way for best results, whether that is achieved freelining, or with a float is up to the angler. Your worms are better when there is a flood or fresh on, and natural worms get washed out of cracks and crevices by the rain water into the streams. During a flood is the time the trout will be looking for worms.

Maggots will also work, but are frowned upon because small trout gobble them, and get deep hooked which causes them harm. But if you use them similar to a small worm that is effective. Throwing free maggots into the water free feeding or groundbaiting, is illegal.

Spinners usually imitate some kind of small forage fish. Stockies will take spinners during the first few days of the season, but the wild trout are wise to them and will refuse. Unless the wild trout target natural minnows that is, then they might take a spinner. This occurs late in the season.

I expect while you were out fishing you observed countless trout rising, dimpling the surface of the water as they take tiny flies from the surface?
    That is because trout are insectivores, like robins, blackbirds and thrushes, they eat flies, beetles & assorted bugs mostly, and the occasional worm, slug, and so on, and this is why fly is so effective for trout. The rising trout you have seen will take flies if correctly presented. So if you want to catch trout consistently, get a fly rod and learn to use it as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

coolwings wrote: »
    Worms will work, small red worms (the very small ones) are best. They need to roll along the riverbed in a natural way for best results, whether that is achieved freelining, or with a float is up to the angler. Your worms are better when there is a flood or fresh on, and natural worms get washed out of cracks and crevices by the rain water into the streams. During a flood is the time the trout will be looking for worms.

Maggots will also work, but are frowned upon because small trout gobble them, and get deep hooked which causes them harm. But if you use them similar to a small worm that is effective. Throwing free maggots into the water free feeding or groundbaiting, is illegal.

Spinners usually imitate some kind of small forage fish. Stockies will take spinners during the first few days of the season, but the wild trout are wise to them and will refuse. Unless the wild trout target natural minnows that is, then they might take a spinner. This occurs late in the season.

I expect while you were out fishing you observed countless trout rising, dimpling the surface of the water as they take tiny flies from the surface?
    That is because trout are insectivores, like robins, blackbirds and thrushes, they eat flies, beetles & assorted bugs mostly, and the occasional worm, slug, and so on, and this is why fly is so effective for trout. The rising trout you have seen will take flies if correctly presented. So if you want to catch trout consistently, get a fly rod and learn to use it as soon as you can.
    Pretty spot on there...
    Good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mf100

Thanks so much for the help. This is really well written and useful advice. Fly fishing does look like my best option. What's the best way to teach yourself to do this. Can you take lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vermin hunter

you can get lessons and i would advise you to get a couple anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

fishing maggots and worms for wild trout................very sad indeed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Well the title of the thread is "Spinning on the Dodder", and we are recommending fly fishing instead, and there are enquiries about bait fishing. So everything seems to be getting discussed.

Bottom line, more trout can be caught faster and in more conditions on the fly ... after you get the hang of it.
    The small trout caught on fly are unharmed by the experience, unlike bait fishing, where small trout get handled a lot, and avoiding deep hooking with maggots for example, is an advanced trick. The thing is - because of the instantaneous strike, just about all fly caught fish are lip hooked, and they can be released even without handling or removing from the water, by bringing the fish to hand, taking a grip of the fly which is clearly visible, and a twist and push and the fish is released in 1 second.

For learning: a lesson or two would be best , but you can teach yourself. It just takes longer that way.
    Casting, choice of fly, striking, and purchase of the right gear are the separate hurdles to be deal with in the process of getting started. Then there is the issue of catching the 1st fish on the fly, so confidence soars and the beginner is confident and happy enough to continue fishing this way and master the fly fishing skills.

I think Lough Aisling at Prosperous is the most favourable place for a beginner's first day though there are other places. A good result on day 1 is likely if help has been there for an hour or two at the start.
    The Dodder is a tough school and many blanks could be experienced by a newbie before getting lucky. Instructing one on one, I guess I would get a beginner to hook a small wild trout on the Dodder in maybe two to three short evening sessions.
    I would not recommend Bohernabreena for newbies. It's too challenging, and loss of flies to undergrowth behind the backcast and lack of fishy results will demoralise unduly.
    The better rainbow fisheries tend to have instruction available if locals or friends can not "step up to the plate".
    Just so readers know - with good instruction, anyone can be casting a fly in 10 minutes. After 30 minutes they can do it well enough to fish many wild fisheries, and just about all managed fisheries.
    Over an hour with an instructor, and you are adding smoothness to the performance, or learning trick casts for getting around obstacles, side casting, roll casting, double haul for distance, etc.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 love to fly fish

Hi coolwings good advice that you posted do you teach fly fishing could do with some lessons. Thanks for that advice about the fly leaders that you posted me on the fly fishing the dodder forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

fishing maggots and worms for wild trout................very sad indeed

Not as sad as feather fishing!!!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Eddie B wrote: »
    Not as sad as feather fishing!!!!!!:p

I think only mackerel take feathers eddie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I think only mackerel take feathers eddie :p

And what are flies made from:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement