Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stillorgan Dual Carriageway Cycle Lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's funny bus drivers educating the cyclists . Lots of busses out of town don't use the bus lane at all. The bus lane is 60kmh and the the other lanes are 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I find the N11 fine, apart from the section from RTE to UCD as mentioned.

I stay in the cycle lane 90% of the time. I know you're entitled to cycle in the bus lane, but personally I think I'm more likely to have someone 'educate' me if I do and think it's not worth the assault charge I'll get when someone does squeeze me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'd hoped to come on here today with a good story about my experience travelling the N11 today but I can't. I need to know if it's worth my while pursuing a complaint with the gardai over an incident that occurred today? 2 of us got almost taken out, I've noted the identifying tags on the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I'd hoped to come on here today with a good story about my experience travelling the N11 today but I can't. I need to know if it's worth my while pursuing a complaint with the gardai over an incident that occurred today? 2 of us got almost taken out, I've noted the identifying tags on the vehicle.
    I would, and have previously.
    An attempt to run you off the road deserves to be punished.
    If there's video of the incident, all the better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If its a company with video on board go straight to the Gardai. Only worth pursuing if you will go to court. In this case they will try and find out all relevant info and present it to the Super in the station. A chance the video will either not be recoverable or there won't be enough for the Super. If the other person will be a witness though that may be good enough for the Garda.

• Advertisement

Robertd_07 wrote: »
    I would, and have previously.
    An attempt to run you off the road deserves to be punished.
    If there's video of the incident, all the better.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    If its a company with video on board go straight to the Gardai. Only worth pursuing if you will go to court. In this case they will try and find out all relevant info and present it to the Super in the station. A chance the video will either not be recoverable or there won't be enough for the Super. If the other person will be a witness though that may be good enough for the Garda.

It's a taxi, got his plate number. No video unfortunately.

iamtony wrote: »
    The shortest route would be straight into town up Dame street, left onto George's street and it's practically straight out to sandyford via ranalagh. Not the most scenic and quite a bit of traffic but it's slow moving.

Might be a more straight forward route but it is not the shortest. You also have a huge amount of pinch points on George St., Camden St., and then Ranelagh.

I've left this unreported for 2 days as I wanted to think on it. I discovered through another post on this forum that there's an app for searching for registered taxi drivers available on iphone/android. I looked up his number, he's registered alright. Then a quick google of the name and it turns out it's not his first rodeo and he's been in court for being a menace on the N11 before.

Now, do I report it to the Gardai or the Taxi regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I've left this unreported for 2 days as I wanted to think on it. I discovered through another post on this forum that there's an app for searching for registered taxi drivers available on iphone/android. I looked up his number, he's registered alright. Then a quick google of the name and it turns out it's not his first rodeo and he's been in court for being a menace on the N11 before.

both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The Regulator won't deal with legal issues. They rightly leave that to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i probably have this wrong, but i believe the regulator will deal directly with issues relating to you having been a passenger in the taxi, and any issues such as the above are dealt with by the gardai, and the regulator acts then based on the legal actions outcoming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

i probably have this wrong, but i believe the regulator will deal directly with issues relating to you having been a passenger in the taxi, and any issues such as the above are dealt with by the gardai, and the regulator acts then based on the legal actions outcoming.

This may be better discussed in a different thread. The thought occurs that the best way to "regulate" taxis would be if they forfeited the fare the second they broke a traffic regulation. If the passenger can show evidence (eg. a phone video of them breaking the speed limit) then they cease to have any obligation to pay the driver at the end of the journey.

Not sure how you could construct it legally but it might have a more widespread effect than relying on the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This may be better discussed in a different thread. The thought occurs that the best way to "regulate" taxis would be if they forfeited the fare the second they broke a traffic regulation. If the passenger can show evidence (eg. a phone video of them breaking the speed limit) then they cease to have any obligation to pay the driver at the end of the journey.

Not sure how you could construct it legally but it might have a more widespread effect than relying on the Garda.

Im not sure that would work, in my experience taxi drivers drive differently according to weather they have got a passenger or not. If you ever see a taxi breaks a red light you can be almost certain that they have no passenger, whereas when they have a fare if they approach a light just turned amber theyre always very keen to slam the breaks to get a bit extra waiting time at a red light added onto the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Straight down the N11 is my new cycle commute, so I was following this thread.

Surface was ropey enough around Foxrock Church up to Whites Cross. Whites Cross to Brewery Road, I can't comment on really, as I using my weight advantage on the downhill and I felt I was too fast for shared space. Went back on after that, and it was ok, until the surface gets crap again after Fosters Avenue to UCD (where I left the N11). If my 5 speed commuter project ever gets going I'll probably go for wider tyres than I'm currently using. I have 28mm Marathon Plus (compared to my current 25mm), but not sure that'd make enough of or a significant difference?

Just the one too close for comfort pass, when I was in the cycle lane after Brewery Road which isn't seperated - an aircoach, again. I think every time I've felt uncomfortable on my old route on the Rock Road has involved them - generally find Dublin Bus fine. Not looking forward to encountering Wexford Bus, as I find them dangerous, even in the car!

Will try to report back after the return commute, which will be significantly slower I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Straight down the N11 is my new cycle commute, so I was following this thread.

Surface was ropey enough around Foxrock Church up to Whites Cross. Whites Cross to Brewery Road, I can't comment on really, as I using my weight advantage on the downhill and I felt I was too fast for shared space. Went back on after that, and it was ok, until the surface gets crap again after Fosters Avenue to UCD (where I left the N11). If my 5 speed commuter project ever gets going I'll probably go for wider tyres than I'm currently using. I have 28mm Marathon Plus (compared to my current 25mm), but not sure that'd make enough of or a significant difference?

Just the one too close for comfort pass, when I was in the cycle lane after Brewery Road which isn't seperated - an aircoach, again. I think every time I've felt uncomfortable on my old route on the Rock Road has involved them - generally find Dublin Bus fine. Not looking forward to encountering Wexford Bus, as I find them dangerous, even in the car!

Will try to report back after the return commute, which will be significantly slower I imagine.

Strangly enough I dont seem to meet Aircoach as often anymore on the Rock Road. My times havent changed so I wonder has their frequency or timetabling changed??

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If my 5 speed commuter project ever gets going I'll probably go for wider tyres than I'm currently using. I have 28mm Marathon Plus (compared to my current 25mm), but not sure that'd make enough of or a significant difference.

Great tyre but in my experience they give so much feedback it's hard to enjoy anything slightly rough. Might be worth trying slightly different ones, Fosters avenue to UCD would be one of the better sections IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well 9 commutes in and it's generally been ok. Generally been sticking with the cycle paths. But having said that, twice when I've been on the road rather than the cycle path I've squeezed out of it. Once by a Dublin Bus between Stillorgan Park and Lower Kilmacud Road outbound (the cycle lane was packed with pedestrians - I think it might be 100% shared space without even painted line seperation), and then this morning by a knobhead motocyclist between Whites Cross and Brewery Road - who a) legally shouldn't be in the bus lane anyway and b) the main driving lane was bloody clear so not that it could be justified but was clearly to be a bollix. He then broke a red light at Brewery Road, so probably did me a favour as the red mist had descended at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 holdcrop

First week of my commute down. I've been going Malahide Road, Dame Street, Aungier Street, Ranelagh, Clonskeagh and Goatstown. Cycle lanes pretty good except for Aungier Street/Camden Street and Ranelagh is terribly rough with a few too many staggered junctions that cars tend to just try and muscle their way around. But after Ranelagh it's a good run, although that hill seems to go forever! The city centre roadworks seem to have the Gardai out in force so everyone around Trinity and Dame street is on best behaviour!

Advertisement