Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BESS in Trinity

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, looking for a bit of help regarding BESS in trinity (preferably someone who is doing/has done this course) So I'm currently in 6th year and I've been thinking about what courses would suit me in college. I'm very interested in persuing a career in business and German. I have also looked at the business and german course in trinity but I have read that it is an extremely hard course, high drop out rates etc.
    Then I noticed the BESS course in which I can study German aswell as business. I know there is a list of 10 different degrees for choice, however my question is this.. Say for example I completed the BESS and got a degree in Economics, aswell as studying German for the 4 years, would I be able to include the German degree in my qualifications or would it just be known as a degree in economics? Any help appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Jack7617 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for a bit of help regarding BESS in trinity (preferably someone who is doing/has done this course) So I'm currently in 6th year and I've been thinking about what courses would suit me in college. I'm very interested in persuing a career in business and German. I have also looked at the business and german course in trinity but I have read that it is an extremely hard course, high drop out rates etc.
    Then I noticed the BESS course in which I can study German aswell as business. I know there is a list of 10 different degrees for choice, however my question is this.. Say for example I completed the BESS and got a degree in Economics, aswell as studying German for the 4 years, would I be able to include the German degree in my qualifications or would it just be known as a degree in economics? Any help appreciated, Thanks

German wouldn't form part of your degree. After second year, you can't take a language through BESS. There are extra-curricular language courses, but they're only weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

German wouldn't form part of your degree. After second year, you can't take a language through BESS. There are extra-curricular language courses, but they're only weekly.

These are the extra curricular language modules.

This might also interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

You want a career in Business and German, and you say that if you did BESS you'd want to get a degree in Economics?
    I think you should go with TSM Business and German if that's what you actually wanna do. You'll do the same business modules as BESS people, but your German tutoring here will be much more involved and thorough. BESS German is a bit of a sham from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 igiveup2

I am a former Bess student and I would recommend Bess over Business and German. Bess is very broad and it gives you the option to try out different subjects before deciding on one or two. In my case, I went into Bess wanting a degree in Business; I kept up Business and Economics after first year, but Business became very boring after second year while Economics became increasingly interesting, so I dropped the former. With Business and German you are stuck with Business regardless of whether you like it or not, which is a problem especially because the quality of teaching the School of Business is very poor in my opinion. As regards the language, Bess offers the option to do German in first and second year, and then to study in Germany for a year in third year. I think this is a better option in the sense that you get all the flexibility of Bess and you still speak fluent German at the end of your time in Trinity. In Business and German you spend a lot of time studying extra stuff about Germany, like law and other cultural things, which may not add much value to your degree. At the end of the day, in the grand scheme of things they are very similar courses, so don't overestimate the difference between the two.

Advertisement