Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Nire Valley Drop

Options
  • 01-09-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

I signed up for this at the weekend, bit of a trek from Sligo but myself and the missus plan to make a weekend of it, heard good things about this from last year, and there's not too many mtb sportives in Ireland so it should be good fun and worth the trip.

Anyone else doing this this year, any advice from people who have done it already?

http://www.nirevalley.com/index.php/nire-valley-drop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

rizzodun wrote: »
    I signed up for this at the weekend, bit of a trek from Sligo but myself and the missus plan to make a weekend of it, heard good things about this from last year, and there's not too many mtb sportives in Ireland so it should be good fun and worth the trip.

Anyone else doing this this year, any advice from people who have done it already?

http://www.nirevalley.com/index.php/nire-valley-drop

It's not very technical but a great day out on bike.

Where are you staying, local if you want any information to keep the ms happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would be great to see a Mountain Bike Sportive like this supported as there are so few... actually, none in Ireland happening at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I did it last year, great day out - they look to have changed the routes this year, last year the long route was 40k, and it was plenty long enough for me

Some of the drops were spectacular, the Coffin Drop in particular was memorable.

Plenty of climbing involved to get to the top of the various drops, so at 55k it will be a good test.

Great day out and very well organised, so will be well worth the trip down from Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

ford2600 wrote: »
    It's not very technical but a great day out on bike.

Where are you staying, local if you want any information to keep the ms happy

Cheers ford, I'll look to give you a shout closer to the date, hoping to get a couple of extra days off work as it's close to her birthday and our wedding anniversary so we can stretch the trip out.

Looking forward to the event, don't normally mind the climbing, I won't be the fastest by any means but it'll be good to try and keep up, or pass a few other riders, normally out on the trails on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I'm pretty local,and wouldn't mind trying it. Would I be alright on an XC bike or do I need to buy myself an AM bike (I need to justify one)

Anyone have the route saved from last year? Wouldn't mind taking a wander to see what it is like before committing to it

• Advertisement

From what I know of the course, a good Hardtail MTB with a suspension fork would be perfect for this event..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

JBokeh wrote: »
    I'm pretty local,and wouldn't mind trying it. Would I be alright on an XC bike or do I need to buy myself an AM bike (I need to justify one)

Anyone have the route saved from last year? Wouldn't mind taking a wander to see what it is like before committing to it

Hardtail is ideal.

Riding those trails with a few years on one

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I didn't even know this existed. Thanks ford, I'm defo doing this as I have done plenty of road sportives

JBokeh wrote: »

I'm doing it on a hardtail 29er with a 100mm fork, no need to see the route either, it'll be more fun not knowing! Although, using this as an excuse to buy a new bike sounds like a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

I did this last year well when I say did it, I got 3/4 way around before shredding my rear wheel in a schlopmy area with loose branches broke about 6 spokes if I remember correctly.
    However cant recommend this event enough its an excellant course and I believe they are shaking it up a bit more this year, fair bit of climbing alright but well worth it . Very well supported and a surprising amount of spectators at certain points which was great.If I recall they bused spectators to key points on the course, great idea.

Loooking forward to it again this year and well worth the drive.

It would be important to note that this is a beginner friendly event as its not overly technical but a good challenge nonetheless..

So come on boys and girls sign up and support this great event.

(Ive absolutely no connection to this event by the way) :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    From what I know of the course, a good Hardtail MTB with a suspension fork would be perfect for this event..
    ford2600 wrote: »
    Hardtail is ideal.

Riding those trails with a few years on one

Ye should be telling me I need a 650b All mountain Yeti with 140mm forks lads :D

I found a map of a few years ago,might go for a nosey,i'm spitting distance from ballymac so it would be rude not to.

Nah defo not, a half decent hardtail will do, doesn't have to be expensive at all..

Just a reminder this is on next Sunday, 26th, if anyone looking for something to do, I'm looking forward to it, heading down Saturday with the missus and staying until Monday, so bit of a break away as well as a bit of fun for a few hours, it should justify the journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Nice group going from Mallow. Should be great day out.

Advertisement