Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a leaking ballcock

• 26-08-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

Can I glue a piece of polystyrene or somesuch on the underside of a stopcock ball in order to lower the level of the water at which the stopcock stops taking in water?

In the past I have bent the arm to get this effect but it is not always possible to do that.

If it is possible what kind of a glue would do the job? Something used in aquariums perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Firstly. It's not a Stopcock it's a Ballcock. If the Ballcock is not stopping the Tank from filling you possibly need a new high pressure Ballcock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks.Yes ballcock it is.But my "solution" sounds a lot cheaper. I normally just bend the arm downwards so that it closes up sooner with the rising water .I could do the same in this instance but as the whole thing is a bit fragile I would need to remove the arm and bend the arm with a vice and perhaps a hammer as the arm is fairly short and fairly sturdy.

I just had the idea of attaching or gluing a piece of polystyrene or polyurethane foam to the underside of the ball to effectively lower the "full" water level by an inch or so -just enough to stop it overflowing as it does right now.

And I thought maybe this was a common bodge job( not the same as a botched job- it means that it is serviceable) that others might already have tried...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

You could cable-tie polystyrene around the ballcock.
    It would be tidier if you could modify the valve/spigot mechanism (e.g. thicker rubber washer) to achieve what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

reducing the mains pressure going into the tank, by turning down the mains stopcock under sink might help solve the problem. It worked for me recently

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

I'd consult a urologist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'd consult a urologist.

that's very helpful, NOT

danjo-xx wrote: »
    that's very helpful, NOT

NOT jokes are out of style man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I tied an empty plastic water bottle under my ballcock in this case.

I tied an empty plastic water bottle under my ballcock in this case.
    Yes that sounds fairly sensible.Thanks for all the suggestions.

amandstu wrote: »
    Yes that sounds fairly sensible.Thanks for all the suggestions.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

You'd be surprised how cheap a replacement ballcock is. Any half decent hardware shop will have them in stock. Most of the cost of getting a plumber to do this kind of job is labour/callout charges.

The leak is most likely down to a failed rubber washer in the valve. These are replaceable but a bit fiddly to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Tow

Replace the washer, with any luck you will get another 40 years :-)
    BTW "reducing the mains pressure going into the tank, by turning down the mains stopcock" reduces the flow rate, the 'pressure' will remain the same.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

dhog4n wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how cheap a replacement ballcock is. Any half decent hardware shop will have them in stock. Most of the cost of getting a plumber to do this kind of job is labour/callout charges.

The leak is most likely down to a failed rubber washer in the valve. These are replaceable but a bit fiddly to do.

Actually in my case it is the plastic expansion tank that has deformed over the years ( the sides are bulging at the top) with the result that the water overflows before the ballcock has fully closed .

I did replace the washer but this had no effect even though it did need to be done.

A new expansion tank would fix the problem alright but then I have to repeat the process of drilling boles for the inlet and outlet which I am too lazy to contemplate.

I am a bit myopic when it comes to this kind of thing and tend to just see one step or two at a time -apart from the initial expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Actually in my case it is the plastic expansion tank that has deformed over the years ( the sides are bulging at the top) with the result that the water overflows before the ballcock has fully closed .

I did replace the washer but this had no effect even though it did need to be done.

A new expansion tank would fix the problem alright but then I have to repeat the process of drilling boles for the inlet and outlet which I am too lazy to contemplate.

I am a bit myopic when it comes to this kind of thing and tend to just see one step or two at a time -apart from the initial expense.

Just one hole, a few cms below the current inlet. Leave the overflow where it is (and a new ballcock is only a tenner or thereabouts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Replace the ballcock unit. There's nowt to be gained messing about with it for the sake of the price of them. You'll need a large (usually 32mm) open-jaw spanner and a large adjustable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Maybe put a ratchet strap around it to bring it back into shape

Maybe put a ratchet strap around it to bring it back into shape

yes that has been on my mind to do as well.

Advertisement