Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire/South Dublin fishing spots

Options
  • 26-02-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello all,

This is my first post on Boards.ie and I'm hoping a few sea anglers might be able to help me out.

As an earlier post mentioned Lidl have offers on several rods and gear available from Monday March 2nd. As a complete novice and someone who would like to buy a suitable rod for fishing off the piers in Dun Laoighre, around the local coastal areas maybe, and even from one of those rented boats out of Bullock Harbour, which Lidl rod do you think would be best suited as an all rounder? Nothing more challenging than delicious mackerel or similar is what I'm after!

I like the look of the boat rod because its sturdy and has a depth measure. But maybe 7 foot isn't long enough to pier fish in Dun Laoighre which will probably be my most frequented spot (unless there is somewhere better?!). What are your thoughts on it?

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

This will do you from pier and rocks, Has a decent cast on it.

Pilk Set: For big water fishing, 240cm rod with 3 ball bearing reel, far-casting spool, reel with front drag, accessory box & carry bag €24.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Dont get the boat rod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Look at what the other guys are using. The ones that are catching the fish that is. Ask then what they prefer. Get similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

your better of to go to a local tackle shop and buy a 7 or 8 foot rod capable of casting a 4 ounce lead, this will be well and truely do you for piers and rocks,,

if your thinking of fishing any where with a big tide run you will have to upgrade it a bit to been able to cast maybe a 6ounce lead,,

as for the boats in dalkey you can rent rods from monica smyth when hiring the boat, that is your best bet there,

dont worry what the rest are using for a while as you could be into hundreds, of euro some of my beach set ups cost me over 800 and thats just the rod and reel,,, start of small and at a budget till you are going out enough to justify spending alot,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Merrion1968

Thanks for your input everyone, I've just got myself the Pilk set, as recommended by Cormdogg, from Lidl with the cod/mackerel accessory box and the weights assortment box.

If I enjoy fishing and can justify the expense I'll look into upgrading in the future but for now this will do me fine.

Hope everyone here has a great year in the water...

• Advertisement
Advertisement