Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of Buying an Apple ibook/macbook in US for use in Ireland - advice needed!

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hello,

Not having posted here before, i'm going to NY in December (lucky me!!) and am thinking of getting an Apple ibook/macbook over there for my transition year kid.

However, some questions:-

Will it work over here in Ireland? Or do i need to be a computer expert to get it to work over here?!!!!

What is better - ibook/macbook - my kid uses their existing laptop for internet, chatting with my friends, games, music, dvds, downloading movies etc and for word processing. Or is a standard laptop a better option?

Is it cheaper to get in NY?

Does anyone know of reputable, reasonable stores in NY which might sell ibooks/laptops?

Anything else I should be wary of?:confused:

I'm also thinking of getting one of the new itouch/iphone mobile phones but I heard they won't work over in Ireland? Is this true?:confused:

THanks in advance for any advice.

:confused:):)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, just to answer your first question.
    Yes, it will work in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

To answer a couple of your questions.

There's an Apple store at the top of 5th Avenue, it's open 24/7 and the door is under a huge glass box, it can't be missed! You won't get a better place to buy. You may get marginally cheaper.. not much though.

To answer another, I bought my iPod Touch in that store, before buying it I heard all the same things that it wouldn't work here, but it does no problems what so ever. I can't speak for the iPhone however.

As for Macbook / Standard laptop.. It depends, for the money you spend on a Macbook you'd get a more powerful Dell. Also, there aren't that many titles in games afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

As for Macbook / Standard laptop.. It depends, for the money you spend on a Macbook you'd get a more powerful Dell. Also, there aren't that many titles in games afaik.

+1

Unless you're a graphic designer or filmmaker another make will be a better option.
    Samsung make some nice looking, well priced laptops.
    Have a look at their Q310 - Q310

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

In relation to the iPhone, the Apple store won't sell you one without a contract, which means you need a US address (at least that's what happened to me earlier this year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

No way!!! - macs kick everythings ass out there! great machines with superior build quality/components, i am buying one myself for 1500

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

empirix wrote: »
    No way!!! - macs kick everythings ass out there! great machines with superior build quality/components, i am buying one myself for 1500

Let's not have this thread spiral into a Mac Vs Pc thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

empirix wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

You cannot buy ibooks anymore

I bought a new macbook and ipod touch from the 5th ave apple store last november. Great experience, all done in a few minutes and haven't had a single problem with either. International warranty covers it here if you do have a problem.
    I bought the macbook plus 16gb touch for less than the macbook on its own here.
    There will be a US plug so you will need adapter. Apple do a world adapter which replaces the plug on the power block or you can buy a socket adapter.

Otherwise you should not have any problems, good luck and enjoy

Advertisement