Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Age - regrets?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I know the topic of what age to start your child at primary school keeps coming up but I was wondering if anyone regrets keeping their child at home for an extra year. DS2 is a March baby which is a tricky month, either 4 and a half or 5 and a half. In my sons creche most of the kids his age are starting their preschool year in September and we have signed up to start too but I'm sort of regretting it now. So anyone feel like they shouldn't have kept their child out of school the extra year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ShinyHappy

My eldest child was also born in March and I sent him off the year he turned 4. Granted, he is actually one of the youngest in the class - most of them appear to have been 5 starting, however academically and socially there are no issues. I do think its subjective though. I have a younger child starting this year age 5, I kept her the year because I felt she wasn't ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You will meet very few who regret not starting them and many who regret it. I had this debate when starting my 1 st child in school born in early Feb. I rang a teacher I respect very much and she has 35 years experience. She said I never met a person who regretted holding on to them for another year. Don't think short term, think of starting secondary school, do you want them to be 12 going in or 13. Do you want them with kids who will be a more than a year older? Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rain1087

Like you I have a March baby and she started school in March. No problem in junior and senior infants. I found that there was a big step up in first class and that she was tired after school most days. As it happened we had to move county after our child finished first class and I asked her teacher if she would advise the child doing first class again. She replied that we would never regret our decision if she were to repeat first class. We were quite taken aback by her response as the child had never had problems in class and had settled into school very well. Anyway we discussed her advice and decided that our child would repeat/redo first class again as it would let her settle into a new school without having her worry about schoolwork.
    The new school was very understanding and allowed our child to repeat first class.

Without a doubt it was the best decision we ever made.

She has thrived in school ever since and now is due to start college. She is so mature and ready for the world. Some of the people in her class are nearly two years younger than her and there is a huge difference between a sixteen year old and an eighteen year old.

I would say that a child may seem more than ready for school at age four and a half - but will that child be better prepared for the world at seventeen and half or eighteen and a half?

Consider the bigger picture.

Very valid point above, 1 st class is a big step up for the younger children in a class.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahv

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, that is exactly what I am concerned about, the later years. Because he is my second I think he will be "ready" for school when he is 4 and a half, he already copies his big brother and was potty trained, put his own shoes/ clothes on etc earlier than my first. In his creche they didn't have any concerns with him starting his pre school year this September. In fact at his birthday in March a few of them said they thought he was turning 4 not 3. So I think he'll be well capable but for me it just seems so young to be leaving school at 17. I don't want him to be one of the youngest. I think I might go back into the creche and ask to postpone the place till next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

I have been a Pre-school teacher in a primary school for 22 years. I have met many parents who were sorry that they sent their child earlier and not 1 who held onto them for an extra year.
    I would have the benefit of seeing the children up to 6th class and where many appear ready it is in later years that the extra year proves it's worth.
    They are usually more mature and more able to handle things

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahv

And Coleen you wouldn't view 5 and a half being too old to start?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

5.5 is not too old to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

No it is not too old. I would have had many kids over the years return for a 2nd year of pre-school at 4.5 years and enjoy it and not get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Any preschool should be more than stimulating enough for a second year. If the child is bored more than likely the service isn't up to scratch and doesn't offer enough stimulation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

sarahv wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, that is exactly what I am concerned about, the later years. Because he is my second I think he will be "ready" for school when he is 4 and a half, he already copies his big brother and was potty trained, put his own shoes/ clothes on etc earlier than my first. In his creche they didn't have any concerns with him starting his pre school year this September. In fact at his birthday in March a few of them said they thought he was turning 4 not 3. So I think he'll be well capable but for me it just seems so young to be leaving school at 17. I don't want him to be one of the youngest. I think I might go back into the creche and ask to postpone the place till next year...

Why not take the place and then if he is not ready pay the fees the 2nd year ?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Why not take the place and then if he is not ready pay the fees the 2nd year ?

That's a good idea because there are age restrictions on the free year, can t remember what they are though.

Advertisement