Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Line

Options
  • 09-05-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Howya Lads,

Been a while since I have been on here. Tight Lines for 2011.

My question is about Leader Lines.

Normally when Lough or Reservoir fishing I use Maxima 6lb. Its just something I have always used and to be honest I have been ignorant in looking at other brands or types. Although this line has served me well, i find it kinks and tangles very easily. Maybe my casting is not helping either :)

Would using a heavier leader line help for example a 8lb or even 10lb help to reduce kinking and tangling?

Basically was wondering what do ye lads use for example a windy day lough fishing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

I won't comment on the lough fishing per say but the thicker and heavier the line the stiffer it will be and less likely to tangle also the shorter the leader the easier it turns over and less likely to tangle especially in windy weather problem is both shortening line and increasing thickness both effect presentation and may result in less fish fooled, i have always found maxima a great mono line

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

premiercad wrote: »
    I won't comment on the lough fishing per say but the thicker and heavier the line the stiffer it will be and less likely to tangle also the shorter the leader the easier it turns over and less likely to tangle especially in windy weather problem is both shortening line and increasing thickness both effect presentation and may result in less fish fooled, i have always found maxima a great mono line

Yep true, thats it im afraid to go that bit heavier as i believe it will result in less fish fooled. In saying that when your on a lake and its blowing a gale it wont make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

You fish Lough or Reservoir fishing, so what is your current setup i.e. leader length?

Are you fishing lure, wet fly, dry fly??

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

I suppose if it's blowing a gale there would be a good ripple on the surface too and a bit of silt stirred up so the shorter leader wouldn't be as easy for a fish too see it anyways, do you always have straight through 6lb leader from fly line to fly? might help if you had a tapered leader or make up a few leaders that start thicker 15lb etc. and taper down to 6lb, since i started using tapered leaders my birdsnest count has gone way down!

You fish Lough or Reservoir fishing, so what is your current setup i.e. leader length?

Are you fishing lure, wet fly, dry fly??

With wetfly i fish three flies, with dry i fish two.

setup is as follows: fly line with braided loop - 14ft leader line with 3 flies.

• Advertisement

premiercad wrote: »
    I suppose if it's blowing a gale there would be a good ripple on the surface too and a bit of silt stirred up so the shorter leader wouldn't be as easy for a fish too see it anyways, do you always have straight through 6lb leader from fly line to fly? might help if you had a tapered leader or make up a few leaders that start thicker 15lb etc. and taper down to 6lb, since i started using tapered leaders my birdsnest count has gone way down!

Yep im straight through fly line to 6lb leader. have never used the tapered leader method but most look into it. thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

My dry fly setup ...

Dry Fly Leader, needle knot to attach the butt, which I make out of a yard or so of 22lbs nylon mono maxima.
    Use the four turn water knot to tie on one or two yards of 15lbs BS nylon mono maxima.
    Tie on a tippet of a yard or two of 3x (5lb) fluro.
    That’s made a leader of three to five yards suitable for attaching big flies.
    For smaller flies, halve the 3x (5lb) and tie on a two yard tippet of fluro of 5x (4lb) , 6x (3lb) or 7x (1.5lb).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Well, fish have fantastic vision and can see any size of line.
    What is important is that the line size matches the hook size.
    However it isnt much good going for a 10lb fish with 4lb line or a stiff rod that will rip the hook out or snap the line!
    I would rather fish a stronger line that will land a good un than a weaker line that will "attract" smaller fish ( because the fly does not fish right rather than the the line breaking)
    I think floro catches more anglers than fish. It is IMHO absolutely useless for dry flys because it drags the fly down.
    Accuracy always wins with dry flys, put the fly on their nose and they will at least go for it, they may shy away because it drags and fishes wrong.
    The less time they have to think the quicker they will take.
    Drennan "sub surface" greased for drys "normal" or double strength ( ie less thickness) wins hands down.
    Colour wise if line make is not an issue then pearl grey is the one.
    Continual tapered leader are a waste of money. Stepping the line to match the conditions is effective.
    As for braided loops forget them, they are clumsy, get a fly line that can be needle knotted and varvished for smoothness.
    As with all things keep it simple and don't be afraid of a 20ft leader for wets!
    Experimenter is not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

good post jett.....

hello briben2001 for wet fly/sub-surface...........

in breezy conditions i go for 6lb maxima ultra green, its a fantastic line, one big problem it can be a pain in the trousers to get it to sink without using heavy weighted point fly. big advantage its robust can be knotted with 4 turn water knot for droppers, and does not tangle as easily as co-polymer of flouro

in calmer conditions then i go for flouro, 7lb or 0.185mm dia, but its useless in windy weather as it tangles too easily, i always use leader rings for the dropper knots when using flouro.

excellent info there lads. Thanks very much. now just to put that good info into practice. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement