Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Season: What are you most looking forward to?

• 22-06-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So what story line are you most looking forward to next season, from the perspective of both your own team, and just the NFL in general?

Johnny Football Rehab to be starting with the Browns? Luck and Wilson in a contract year? Graham with the 'hawks? Payton Manning to beat Farve's passing yard record?

From a Giants perspective, I'll go with the obvious: Waiting to see if Odell Beckham Junior can continue on from one of the craziest rookie seasons of all time.

I'm also interested to see how Eli progresses with this new offense with a full season under his belt. A lot of talk of his arm looking noticeably stronger this year too.

In General: Looking forward to seeing how Eagles, 49ers, Saints, and Seahawks look next year after their trade/retirement activity. I'm obviously hoping Eagles will implode, but that's the Giant's perspective and bias.

49ers - What a change to their roster this has been. New coaching staff, some big retirements, and just a lot of turmoil there.

Saints is interesting to me as people mention Brees waining, despite still having a pretty impressive year last year, imo, all things considered. They've gutted some stars from the team and I honestly have no idea how it'll work out for them.

Seahawks. A notoriously average OL which lost their centre in order to bring Jimmy Graham up to Seattle. I'll certainly be tuning in to see how this pans out.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Very much looking forward to seeing what the Titans can do.

Mariota has been impressive so far, Green-Beckham has the attributes to be the new Megatron, Hunter can do it aswell if he gets his head screwed on.
    Wright in the slot along with Delanie Walker, we've got really good receiving options.

Pounding the ball should be a lot better, Gallik and Poutasi looks to be maulers and our new RB and FB are big men who should be running over LBs and DBs once the O-line can allow them to get to the 2nd level.

On the D Orakpo should be successful (please let him stay healthy!) this should allow Morgan to shine.

We need to beat the Colts once, Texans and Jags both games.

I'm going to go 8-8

Overall i'm expecting a meaner more aggressive team, they're going to run the ball at you, the defense should be getting to the QB more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Looking forward to a full season of Peterson & Bridgewater for the Vikings. Hopeful Cordarelle Patterson has really got his head together in the off season and come bounce back after last season's blues. Looking forward to another year of solid progress with Coach Zimmer and Norv Turner's offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Im very much looking forward to seeing Vikes going with Ap and teddy - with wallace, johnson, patterson & Rudolph - and they have plenty of young options on defense - they could be a team to watch

As a packers fan I am just itching to see if the offense can build on last year and i think that Rodgers could go balistic if Adams makes the leap to ease the pressure on cobb & nelson!

Im not totally sold on Beckham just yet - does he have quality - yes - did he save eli's job last year - yes - but it is only 1 year and i will be a believer if he does something similar this season.

I also am curious to see how 49ers & Pats are going to do - 49ers loosing half their team and Pats just loosing their secondary & running back positions. Think they could be in for tough years - obviously moreso for niners

Also cant wait for Fantasy Football and lastly - I just cant wait for Sunday evenings and spending 6-9 hours just watching games.... love if the season was longer but i suppose thats why its as effective as it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Looking forward to the new Eagles and can we cope without all the ''good'' players we let leave, and can Tebow defy the odds and gain a roster spot.

Outside of the Eagles, im looking forward to seeing can the Colts finally get that AFC championship that they've threatened to win since Luck became the man, with Johnson to compliment Hilton and Moncrief who i think might have a very good year for them.

Will Beckham jr now, that defenders have got a good look at him be able to replicate last season, i think he will and a lot more, will Mariota be the man in Tennessee that Heli prays he is ;), and how will the Seahawks react to the superbowl loss of last season.

Last but not least, Fantasy Football, i cant wait for sunday evenings, fire on, flicking between the laptop and the tele, as the player i dropped before the game, goes on the rampage, while the player i picked instead of him fumbles on his 1st catch/run and is benched for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm most looking forward to opening night in Gillette Stadium with Tom Brady leading out the Superbowl Champions and me there in the stadium cheering them on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm most looking forward to opening night in Gillette Stadium with Tom Brady leading out the Superbowl Champions and me there in the stadium cheering them on. :D

That's probably a thread winner :D

Enjoy! Take photos for us all!

Edit: Just remembered his suspension. Still, it'll be pretty amazing to be there even if its Jimmy G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looking forward to narrowing the gap to the Pats to 30 points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Im very much looking forward to seeing Vikes going with Ap and teddy - with wallace, johnson, patterson & Rudolph - and they have plenty of young options on defense - they could be a team to watch

Wow, I completely missed Mike Wallace signing for you guys. Had no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

As a Packers fan - seeing if Davante Adams will make a step up to being a top receiver, and also hopefully see the young guys like Abbrederis, Janis and Montgomery make appearances. All makes for an explosive offense.

In general - that first week of games. And also seeing how Winston and Mariota find their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I have developed from a fan who had a passing interest in the game up until 2013 into a fanatic last year.

Other than a few highlights packages, with a focus on Vikings games or games on which I had gambled, I really just checked the results on a Monday or Tuesday in work.

Last year was the first year I really got to know the players, so I am looking forward to continuing this next season,

I am looking forward to seeing if the Vikings can kick on from the promise of last season, and have a winning season.
    I am looking forward to seeing if the two new highly drafted QBs can settle into the NFL.
    Looking forward to seeing if Dallas can cope with the turnover. They were a very exciting team last season.
    Looking forward to seeing how some of the QB stories develop. Will Luck regress to the mean? Will Cam and RG3 (especially) get back to the brilliance of their debut seasons? What will happen to the Raiders now Carr has some weapons?
    Looking forward to seeing the slug fests between the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers in the North.
    Basically I am looking forward to the whole season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Jameis and hopefully more then 6 wins for the Bucs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Seeing Revis back in a Jets uniform:D
    What can Todd Bowles do with this defense, on paper it definitely has the potential to be one of the best in the nfl.
    How will Geno do now that for the first time he has a number of decent receiving targets, this really is a make or break year for him its time to put up or shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Peterson's return,

Wilfork, Watt and Clowney could be an epic unit,

Patriots bounce back after the Brady saga,

Eagles adjusting to Kelly clearing the roster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Cosy Sunday evenings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dark Sunday evenings by the fire with NFL from 6pm until I fall asleep that night. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SnakeHetfield

Cowboy's fan so looking forward to seeing how devastating the O-Line is going to be, and of course who can step up as a starting RB in the absence of DeMarco Murray, who was arguably our best player.

Elsewhere it'll be interesting to see how the top 2 draft pick QBs cope with the pressure of the league, also be interesting to see how effective a reciever Beckham can be if he can remain uninjured for the majority of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

No more Mel Tucker! Therefore we shouldn't absolutely suck on defense! It's a rebuild year, with a tough schedule so hard to expect too much. Hard to see it being worse than last year anyway given we've a real staff in place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

- Looking forward to the Bears not being a laughing-stock like last year.

- Vic Fangio marshalled defense...always liked watching his defenses in San Francisco. He doesn't have the same personnel in Chicago that he had in San Francisco, but interesting to see what he can do.

- Looking forward to getting some kind of pass-rush, which we haven't had for a couple of years. The personnel hasn't changed much, but hoping the switch to 3-4 allows us to get a bit more creative in this area.

- Think it could be an ok year for Cutler. Not expecting any miracles, but just think the run-oriented offense (throwing off play-action) will suit his strengths a lot more than Trestman's dink-and-dunk.

- The first round pick Kevin White....been a while since we've had a WR that could take the top off a defense.

eagles new secondary 3 new starters and if they can be above average this can be a top 10 defence. if he can stay healthy how much of a monster can kiko be

can eagles offence stay healthy demarco and bradford in particular (big if) if they can i have little fear of this being the best chip kelly nfl offence yet

how will odell beckham react to being praised as the second coming, can he live up to his first year.

how will the cowboys deal with losing demarco can the o-line be good enough to insure the run game remains enough of a threat that romo can work.

how will mariota and winston do in there rookie years winston in particular has some great weapons.

how will the pats play defence with no cornerbacks.

will this be the year that the rams finally fulfil the promise they have on paper

can the eagles finally win a god damned superbowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Suh, Wake, Vernon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

From a Vikings pov, Harrison Smith in a contract year and Anthony Barr in zimmers D. The continued progression of Bridgewater and Charles Johnson on offense.

Im intrigued by how ridiculously good the Colts offense could be with Luck becoming the best around, a functioning run game and loads of weapons. Would love to see Andre Johnson have a big year. Be all the more entertaining if their D is still a trainwreak and they've to chase games.

The Pats sub Brady will obviously be interesting, as are the talent heavy Bills with no QB. I'll manage to get to Mariotas and Winstons first game too which should be great. But mostly just as Paully said, Sunday evening in trying to keep track of multiple games, bets, fantasy football scores for hours on end

padraig_f wrote: »

- The first round pick Kevin White....been a while since we've had a WR that could take the top off a defense.

I follow a Bears beat writer who seemed to be suggesting that White was battling for the 4th wideout spot. Obviously it's only OTAs, but the suggestion was he wont be near a starting spot for seasons start anyway. What's the story with Jared Allen in a 3-4? I'd have assumed it wouldn't suit him whatsoever, but then again he's not been cut?

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I follow a Bears beat writer who seemed to be suggesting that White was battling for the 4th wideout spot. Obviously it's only OTAs, but the suggestion was he wont be near a starting spot for seasons start anyway. What's the story with Jared Allen in a 3-4? I'd have assumed it wouldn't suit him whatsoever, but then again he's not been cut?

TBH that's just the you have to earn your status stuff with White. Jeffrey is #1, Royal will play in the slot. Hard not to see White not beating out Wilson (a 7th round pick who has been a message board hero but shown little) for the #2 wideout. White did miss minicamp though but is expected back for full training camp.

Allen's not been cut as all his money is guaranteed, so only thing to be gained is a roster spot - so may as well look at him in training camp and preseason. Of course you have the usual OTA & minicamp stuff saying he#s doing okay but I wouldn't expect anything for time being. It's been underpants football so far so very hard to tell anything.

The Bears are running a much more closed shop under Fox & Co. so the reporters are actually seeing very little compared to prior years when you had the likes of Stoltz at every minute of every practice.

White apparently had a issue with an injury for a few weeks during mini camp.... he has to move up the WR depth chart throughout training camp... its a given... a lot of people are high on him but if you consider that Marshall and Jeffrey were WR1 and WR2 for Cutler last year then im not overly confident on Jeffrey and White making that big a difference... for this year anyways

They said that they were impressed with Allen's effort at playing LB and DE - so god only knows where they are gonna put him.... effort usually is codeword for not quite good enough! Should be interesting to see how it all plays out for the bears.... still think ye will be bottom of NFC North tho....

White apparently had a issue with an injury for a few weeks during mini camp.... he has to move up the WR depth chart throughout training camp... its a given... a lot of people are high on him but if you consider that Marshall and Jeffrey were WR1 and WR2 for Cutler last year then im not overly confident on Jeffrey and White making that big a difference... for this year anyways

They won't be the difference. The difference should be running the ball, Trestman was hot garbage - completely abandoning the running game (see the 2nd Lions game for worst play calling ever) and relying on screen passes instead. Cutler will always be cutler but asking him to pass 70% of the time was insane.
    They said that they were impressed with Allen's effort at playing LB and DE - so god only knows where they are gonna put him.... effort usually is codeword for not quite good enough! Should be interesting to see how it all plays out for the bears.... still think ye will be bottom of NFC North tho....

We are definitely worst on talent, especially defensively. My only hope is the stellar coaching staff they've put together. But that is against it being their 1st year, a switch to 3-4 and a tough schedule. They've also a tough opening so not hard to see it going south quick but I'm pretty sure they won't quit like last year.

The hope for the year would be to see some young talent develop (especially drafted players) and signs of progress for next year.

i genuinely think if your team gives their all and doesnt quit and the coach does a good job then the fans will be happy! Obviously the roster dictates how well or not well you do but if your a well managed outfit then it makes it more watchable. Absolutely agree with you - with Matt Forte in the backfield and you get cutler throwing 70% of plays is insanity! I think forte could be in for a big year if they untilise him fully - which i think they will

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

really looking forward to seeing how the QBs compare on week 1 given the Buccs could have taken Mariota and the Titans could have ended up with winston

really looking forward to seeing how the QBs compare on week 1 given the Buccs could have taken Mariota and the Titans could have ended up with winston

Got tickets today, so ill be there, mildly sunburnt and wildly intoxicated! Or visa versa if things don't go to plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

eagles new secondary 3 new starters and if they can be above average this can be a top 10 defence. if he can stay healthy how much of a monster can kiko be

can eagles offence stay healthy demarco and bradford in particular (big if) if they can i have little fear of this being the best chip kelly nfl offence yet

can the eagles finally win a god damned superbowl

This. Jesus I don't know how I'd react if the Eagles ever won the Super Bowl though. I'd probably sit there shocked and not know how to react. How about you nerd ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This. Jesus I don't know how I'd react if the Eagles ever won the Super Bowl though. I'd probably sit there shocked and not know how to react. How about you nerd ?

He'd switch off Madden and go to bed :D

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Honest to God id lose my **** similar enough to when munster one there first Heineken cup didn't know I could roar for that long without a breath

glued wrote: »
    He'd switch off Madden and go to bed :D

Ouch right in the feels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ouch right in the feels

What the hell is this feels lark ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Im intrigued by how ridiculously good the Colts offense could be with Luck becoming the best around, a functioning run game and loads of weapons.
    Luck has quite a long way to go before being the best around. Yes, he has insane potential and yes, he has improved year-on-year in the league which suggests he could max it all out. But his 16 INTs were only two away from leading the league, and he had the 2nd or 3rd most turnovers among all QBs in the NFL. He is one of the better QBs in the league, probably top 5, and he is earning his way into the discussion gradually with his constant improvement, but since even before he was drafted the dedicated eagerness of the entire media and a good chunk of fans to label him the best in the league/of his generation/ever is something that really grates me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Besides looking forward to absolutely any football to watch....at all...thinking about the season ahead, I really do like the way the AFC East is shaping up.

For me, there are so many storylines, changes to coaching staffs, big free agent signings, (possible) big name suspensions, so as to make this division the most interesting of the coming year. (cue New England winning the division with 4 games to spare) I really can't wait to see some of these defences go at it.

On the Denver front, I'm not sure I can say I'm looking forward to it, but I am extremely curious as to whether Manning can mesh with a system which looks far from ideal for him, but I think if he's fit again, he will be fine.

Yeah, I can't wait to see the NFC East, for pretty much the first time ever since I started watching Football properly.

Really thinking Dolphins can push close for the division, and interesting to see how Jets will be if Geno is even adequate. They're a playoff team if he can even become a reliable 'game manager'.

I think Bills will actually come last next year in AFC East, but we'll see.

It'll finally start replicating its NFC East relative in terms of competitiveness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

The start of the year is always such an exciting time though. More than any other sport I know, teams can rise and fall in a single season. Fans of teams are filled with optimism, and are confident their team is the most improved and made the best moves/picks to leap them to a division title and then who knows....

I was just thinking about what we have to look forward to, and I can honestly say that with the exception of 3 or 4 teams there is an interesting angle with every team in the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This one's easy, Watching the Cowboys play on thanksgiving.......In Texas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The Raiders having an offence and winning more than 4 games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Jags finishing with a winning record. Browns going close to playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

gufc21 wrote: »
    Jags finishing with a winning record. Browns going close to playoffs

I thought this thread was for stuff that you're expecting to happen. Anyway, getting close to the start of the season, thought I'd bump this, see if people's expectations have changed.

For me, a good performance by the bears d would be great in the first few weeks. Injuries the the wr corps mean my expectations on offense are...limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My one wish this season is for Jay Cutler to stay healthy. :D

Usually, when it comes to sport, I start out pessimistic and my optimism grows with regards to the potential for my teams success, the closer I get to the game.

Not this year with the Giants, I'm afraid. Too many holes, too many injuries. I still don't see us being able to run the ball.

Another 6-10 year is on the cards, I'm thinking.

From a Titans perspective theres a lot of optimism this year (like every year!)
    But this year it feels real

Good QB and depth

Sankey seems to be running better but both Cobb & Fowler will add power

WRs are coming on& DGB is going to be megatron-esque

Our TEs are probably our best offensive weapons

Changes on the o-line seem to have made it a bit more robust.

Better pass rush and the addition of Cox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Looking forward to more of Bell-Brown-Ben

dfx- wrote: »
    Looking forward to more of Bell-Brown-Ben

Its a crazily good trio, in all honesty.

I don't know much about the Steelers OL, though, which is odd considering the numbers put up by the offense last year. You don't hear a noise about them in the media, but they must have a pretty solid unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Theyve lost Pouncey for the season at center anyway. So thats one down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I thought this thread was for stuff that you're expecting to happen. Anyway, getting close to the start of the season, thought I'd bump this, see if people's expectations have changed.

For me, a good performance by the bears d would be great in the first few weeks. Injuries the the wr corps mean my expectations on offense are...limited.

I've changed my mind. The thing I'm most looking forward to about 2015 is the 2016 draft. Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Most optimistic as a bears fan I've been in a few years. I truly believe we can get the first pick next year

• Advertisement
Advertisement