Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro 7,1 OS Upgrade Options?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,

I recently bought some antivirus software which came with a few licenses so I could install them on all the devices that need it in the house. Problem is, my girlfriends Macbook Pro 7,1 is running OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) which is incompatible with this antivirus I bought. It needs to be updated to at least OS X Lion (v10.7). Problem is, I'm quite good with Linux and Windows machines but I'm a n00b with Macs. I never use OSX though so I don't want to update to something without getting some advice first.

I have seen that there are some bad reviews of the latest OSX (Yosemite) out there regarding terrible WiFi and such. I see that it is free but I have no problem spending the €20 or so for the license for the previous versions if they are more stable.

Any mac experts out there that can recommend the best OSX upgrade for this piece of hardware?

Specs are as follows:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

Thanks,
    Dante

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

You can update from Snow Leapord onwards in the appstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm running Yosemite on a 5,5 macbook pro with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Turn it upside down and get the model number. Very small writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Hi all,

I recently bought some antivirus software which came with a few licenses so I could install them on all the devices that need it in the house. Problem is, my girlfriends Macbook Pro 7,1 is running OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) which is incompatible with this antivirus I bought. It needs to be updated to at least OS X Lion (v10.7). ]

I would not bother with antivirus for the Mac. I have 30 years Mac experience, 20 of them running a 40 user Mac network and in that time I have never encountered any damage caused by viruses in the Mac environment.

Cannot advise as to the best version of OSX to use on that machine. My own is a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro and runs Yosemite 10.10.3 flawlessly.
    How old is the Mac you are dealing with? You can find out by clicking on the Apple Icon and selecting About this Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most would recommend against Norton AV on a Mac as it behaves more like a Malware and can cause various issues. Download AdwareMedic and run it from time to time and keep an eye on it's website for updates and current malware and adware information. As for a full AV package I have never needed/used one in my 20 years using Macs.

http://www.adwaremedic.com

As for your OS issue, I would suggest updating it to something still supported is more important than the latest OS. Keeping up to date with security updates and fixes is more important than an AV app on your Mac. I've run Yosemite on machines equivelant to yours and it was fine.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Advertisement