Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting walls, primer spots coming through - Help!

• 22-03-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm painting the kitchen walls today. I've primed over a good few spots where there were coloured marks from kids, filled in screws nail and screw holes etc. I used BIN primer. I'm applying the first coat and the primed spots are jumping right out. They are a much lighter colour than the rest of the wall and the paint is staying wet here.
    I'm using water-based ceramic matt for the top coat. I thought BIN could work with anything.
    Any ideas? Will it dry out ok?
    Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi - I'm painting the kitchen walls today. I've primed over a good few spots where there were coloured marks from kids, filled in screws nail and screw holes etc. I used BIN primer. I'm applying the first coat and the primed spots are jumping right out. They are a much lighter colour than the rest of the wall and the paint is staying wet here.
    I'm using water-based ceramic matt for the top coat. I thought BIN could work with anything.
    Any ideas? Will it dry out ok?
    Thanks for any advise.

It soaking into the emulsion faster than on the BIN primer, the bin primer is schellac based. It'll just take a little longer to dry, but it will dry back fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Man that's a relief. I can actually see if settling down now. Just a panicky moment :)
    Thanks a million!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Man that's a relief. I can actually see if settling down now. Just a panicky moment :)
    Thanks a million!

A watched kettle never....go make a drop of tea and It'll be grand when you come back

And indeed it was, cheers

Hi again. So I finished up the first coat last night and when I came down this morning there are quite a few spots that are shiny. The colour is fine but they do stand out when you look at the wall at an angle. I reckon I missed sanding some primed spots?
    I always intended doing a second coat but what's the best way to make sure those spots come out right? Should I sand over them before the second coat? Or should the second coat on its own take care of it? I don't want to sand back too far by mistake and ruin the wall.
    Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Hi again. So I finished up the first coat last night and when I came down this morning there are quite a few spots that are shiny. The colour is fine but they do stand out when you look at the wall at an angle. I reckon I missed sanding some primed spots?
    I always intended doing a second coat but what's the best way to make sure those spots come out right? Should I sand over them before the second coat? Or should the second coat on its own take care of it? I don't want to sand back too far by mistake and ruin the wall.
    Thanks a lot!

Just touch up the shiny spots to give them an extra coat before you give it all the final coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

2nd coat should take care of any flashing areas. If you want hit those affected areas first now with a coat then do the 2nd coat.

What finish is the paint your using??

Thanks a lot lads, that's just what I did in the end. Got talking to a neighbour who said to touch them up. Worked a tret and putting the 2nd coat on now. It's colourtrend ceramic matt cardwizzard.

Advertisement