Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is cement amateur-friendly?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

Long story short; a number of bricks toppled off a wall on a premise I own a number of years ago due to snow, and the wall is yet to be repaired.

I'd like to under-take this task independently but I've never worked with cement before so I have no idea what I am doing.

However, it is a very small job - about 15 bricks fell off - so I am optimistic that I'll be able to repair it on my own.

Will I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

TheShizz wrote: »
    Hi,

Long story short; a number of bricks toppled off a wall on a premise I own a number of years ago due to snow, and the wall is yet to be repaired.

I'd like to under-take this task independently but I've never worked with cement before so I have no idea what I am doing.

However, it is a very small job - about 15 bricks fell off - so I am optimistic that I'll be able to repair it on my own.

Will I?

It really depends on your ability. Have a look a a tutorial on YouTube and see what's involved

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

One thing to be aware of is that there is Lime in cement and will damage your skin with prolonged contact.
    Other than that its just a case of only making enough for one work session so as you wont have any spare set overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭TheShizz

2555s0h.png

Where did I go wrong in creating this dollop of sh*t? Bought a 25kg bag of pre-mixed sand & cement, and used half of it so 13kg. However, I used at least 1.4 litres of water, so did I use too much or too little?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Looks like mortar to me. Is it very soft/runny?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

TheShizz wrote: »
    2555s0h.png

Where did I go wrong in creating this dollop of sh*t? Bought a 25kg bag of pre-mixed sand & cement, and used half of it so 13kg. However, I used at least 1.4 litres of water, so did I use too much or too little?

Litre and a half seems like too much. Add more dry sand/cement

• Advertisement
Advertisement