Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share those compassionate Christian stories

Options
  • 27-07-2012 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Lets share our compassionate Christian stories we have either heard, or experienced in our own lives of a particular event where we felt or had seen the Gospel being put into practice. This could be a thread that we can come back to should we hear of anything positive in which the Gospel had been preached.

I'll start with mine. I once knew a man with cancer. I did not ''know'' him in the personal way. I had never even heard him speak. So he would often walk by my living room window to the shops in his pyjamas and slippers. I saw him once and asked about him to those who knew him. They explained that he was from London, living alone just around the corner with cancer. I thought to myself ( as I was living with my parents at the time ) ''I'd love to take him in to our home, then he wouldn't be alone, but my parents wouldn't have it surely!'' So I prayed to Mother Mary and Jesus to look after him and look for someone to do so.

Imagine my surprise months later to find out in my local newspaper that he had passed away in a womans home. She was Christian of the protestant tradition. She went round to his house one day and took him to live in her house and he passed away in her house. WOW! It reminded me of the story of the good samaritan. It was also wonderful to know that my prayer had been answered.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, Now and forever and unto the ages of ages, Amen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Wow. I'm surprised this thread never took off. Afterall that talk about the forum being boring because it's all full of ''negative'' threads about gays, sex abuse and chick'a'fil type threads.

This thread is boring because of those who prefer to talk crap about these subjects as opposed to scriptures or love being practiced in the world, that's why this forum is boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

'...of the protestant tradition' Which church exactly, this is important man!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Members of the clergy that I knew growing up. They had a faithful gospel adherence to providing help to the poorer members of society and were available out of hours to help in a practical and compassionate manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Here's a guy who started out just bringing a truckload of help to eastern europe during the balkans conflict. Ten years later, the charity he founded and still runs and is feeding over 650,000 children around the world.

I've heard magnus speak about how, on a trip to africa, he was talking to a young boy about going to school. He often missed school, because he had to spend the day searching for food, and so, he had to choose between his future and his present. He could eat today, but he would miss out on his education, which was the way out of poverty for him. The idea of giving children a meal at school was born.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary's_Meals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

We had very little home comforts growing up, wearing hand-me-downs sent from England by relatives. There was very little work around for my dad and we struggled to make ends meet for a family of 8. There was even a girl from a nearby settled traveller family who asked me one day, "are ye poor"? LOL, they hadn't much themselves! :pac:

Anyhow, I remember one time when I was around 10 years old playing in our garden when our local PP arrived with a hamper full of goodies etc., he made our day back then, one of the happy memories of my childhood - may he R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

totus tuus wrote: »
    We had very little home comforts growing up, wearing hand-me-downs sent from England by relatives. There was very little work around for my dad and we struggled to make ends meet for a family of 8. There was even a girl from a nearby settled traveller family who asked me one day, "are ye poor"? LOL, they hadn't much themselves! :pac:

Anyhow, I remember one time when I was around 10 years old playing in our garden when our local PP arrived with a hamper full of goodies etc., he made our day back then, one of the happy memories of my childhood - may he R.I.P.

you remind me of the thrill of the trunk under the bed from which all sorts of lovely summer dresses were produced! Don't know where they came from , helpful ladies in the parish, or relatives and so on. I didn't think about us being poor, i just loved the excitement of it.:)

Advertisement