Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X El Capitan

Options
  • 14-06-2015 10:54am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just realised there was no thread about this, so for anyone who missed WWDC:

El Capitan (pronounced el kap-i-tan) or Mac OS X 10.11 will be available in the Autumn. Like Yosemite, it will be a free upgrade through the Mac App Store and will support the same Macs as Yosemite. It’s mostly a performance, stability and security release like Snow Leopard, but there are several new features as well (see here). Public available in July.

Anyone running the dev beta? And any other thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Normally I'd be all over the beta but I'm holding off this year because I need to get actual work done on my machine...

Looks like a good upgrade, though. OS X needed another stability release, and this seems to be it, with a couple of nice new features. Bit of a no-brainer upgrade when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'll definitely be trying the public beta, it's been the smallest update I've seen since I start using Mac, (started at Snow Leopard so not that long) so I'd imagine there's not much that can go wrong. The fact that it's focused on performance too should mean less bugs.

I can't really even pick a headline feature for the update, maybe the split screen view for apps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I dunno, these under-the-hood releases have the potential to cause the most problems. Despite it’s subsequent reputation, Snow Leopard had a lot of bugs on release. Some of them quite serious like the guest account bug which caused all user data to be erased and it totally broke Windows file sharing. It was 10.6.3 or 4 by the time things settled down. But that was the norm with OS X releases back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'll definitely be trying it in July, I'd imagine it will have settled down a bit by then with one or two bug fixes, I don't rely too heavily on my Mac right now either.

I'm curious whether iOS will be stable enough by then, it's definitely the more important of the two OSes for me but it's usually a battery drainer to try betas.

I wonder how compatibility will work between both if your not running betas. For example will the old and new notes app continue to sync after updating one or another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, I'd imagine Notes is like the upgrade to iCloud Drive last year. Once you do it there's no going back and no syncing with devices using the old IMAP backend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement