Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new MBP or a refurbished MBP

• 31-05-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A follow-on from my previous thread....:P

As far as I'm aware (but stand corrected), the internal configuration is the same between the July 2014 and May 2015 higher end rMBP15" laptops...ram, processor, etc.

I qualify for the ed discount on the apple store which reduces the price a little on the rMBP 15". Presently, there is a previous gen laptop in the refurb store (w/Nvida graphics, multi-touch track-pad) which would work out around ~€260ish less than the current May 2015 model (with AMD graphics card & new force track-pad) for me.

I want to buy a laptop to last me 3-4 years before off-loading it, so would really appreciate advice as to whether to purchase the cheaper refurb or the newer edition....is the price difference neglble. Would it be easier to sell the newer one a few years down the line? Are the newer features worth the €260 (give or take)?

Thanks in advance :pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi

The difference between the 2014/2015 15" is three things - the force touch touchpad, a faster SSD, the lower spec 2015 machines no lower have discrete graphics. There's a review of the new spec, that runs through the details on The Reg

To me the differences are vary small and unless you are going to do some very I/O intensive operations the faster SSD is unlikely to ever be more than a nice to have.

Yes, in a few years the newer machine will be easier to sell on - but you're unlikely to see more than a few Euro in the difference.

If it was me - I'd keep 260 for beer money :) and buy the refurb - but I really can't tell you what your experience will be.

Paddy

Advertisement