Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice about tiling around external corner in Bathroom

Options
  • 24-03-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    doing a DIY job and I need advice, I intend to tile floor to ceiling but I will hit a problem when I get to the corner (See attached image).
    The 2 walls form a 90 deg corner from 1.5m down to floor and above that there is not a corner but a curve/fillet/bevel to the ceiling.
    I am concerned about the tiles that will be fitted to the upper parts of wall A and wall B, i.e the tiles that will not be on the

Question
    A) if 90% of the tiles are stuck to the wall and only 10% of the tile has the void (due to the bend) behind it will it be strong enough? or
    B) should I try to square off the curved area into a 90deg corner - this would give the tiles 100% adhesion to the surfaces that they are mounted onto. What would you suggest to square this off?

appreciate any help on this,
    Thanks,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi tommytee
    that is an interesting corner. You could try a mosaic tile there. They are small and on a mesh background and you would be able to turn that curve easily. Would give a nice effect. Start it from bath side out. something different would look good and you would be able to keep curve and make a wee feature of it.
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

Yep I toyed with the idea, I have a horizontal mosaic (each strip is approx 50mmx 300mm long - 3 high x 20 long) going around the room, I was going to run it vertically down the curved area but when they fit onto curve the gaps open up between the mosaics and there would be a lot of grout visible between them - if you get me, i might just use a steel tile trim so as to give me a strong edge
    this corner is driving me mad - analysis paralysis ;-)

tom

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Just bring the tile out square it will be fine if you have a little floor adhesive fill the gap with that either way will be fine.
    Maybe get a stainless 90% strip for the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Difficult to make out the distance from the pic but if the tile is wide enough, i'd do what 650 suggested. Run the tile out to beyond the curve, do the same on the other wall, fit quadrant corner trim of choice after packing void with some adhesive. It will be fine.

Advertisement