Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove cigarette stain?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice on getting out a stain caused by a cigarette burn from a white shirt. The burn itself was on the inside of the shirt but there's a dark brown stain as a result on the front on the outside. Does anyone know any good whitening products that I could scrub into the area and then wash in a hope to either remove or partially fade the stain?

It's a small stain so I think bleach would be very difficult to properly apply ad have heard that it will turn the shirt yellow unless very specifically diluted.

Any tips at all are truly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Time to buy a new white shirt tbh. If the fabric is burnt, it's burnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Terry Ten Cans

Sorry I think my orignial post was very confusing.

The shirt is burnt on the inside, but visible mark is a stain that has partially come out with water and scrubbing. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good whitening product, preferably one I can apply and rub into the stain like a prewash?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Put some detergent directly on the stain then try a hot wash.
    If that fails try a VERY dilute bleach on the stain, dabbing it not rubbing it.
    If that fails then try a little stronger bleach.

Ultimatly you'll either need a new shirt or the stain will be gone.

Best tip I heard in ages is to buy cheap white shirts because you'll NEVER get them as clean as when you first bought it.

CAVIATE: When I say cheap I still mean of good quality - just not the most expensive quality shirt. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You could try vanish or stain devils but to be honest I think that you will probably have to get rid of the shirt.

From what you say the majority of the burn is on the inside and the "stain" is on the outside. To the best of my knowledge the stain is also actually burnt but not just as black as the center of the burn.

The material is burnet brown rather than stained brown.

Advertisement