Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Currency

Options
  • 27-01-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

What opinions have people on ditching traditional notes & coins and introducing a completely electronic currency. Would it have a big effect on crime and drugs. Would it make it easier for the CAB etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Senna wrote: »
    What opinions have people on ditching traditional notes & coins and introducing a completely electronic currency. Would it have a big effect on crime and drugs. Would it make it easier for the CAB etc

Probably not, at least with notes and coins you know if you have enough to pay for one after a night out. ;)

effort. not bein able ta lend someone a fiver. or ever sell anything second hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Would raise serious concerns about privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

would work in addition to cash
    not instead of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

TheZohan wrote: »
    Probably not, at least with notes and coins you know if you have enough to pay for one after a night out. ;)

BOOM BOOM!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

delllat wrote: »
    would work in addition to cash
    not instead of cash

are you joking or not? I can't tell

;)

lol :D i was gonna defend him till it clicked :pac:

well,this is ah!

seriously though it would be an interesting concept

the likes of street prostitutes would suffer though so its not viable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I suppose you couldn't really evade tax either

it's not an interesting concept.. unless we can exchange money person to person with the electronic system without trace, it wont happen and no one would want it to happen.

it would still be cool to be able to forget about cash

tiny micro chip implanted under the skin that would have a unique digital signal

you could just take your groceries at scan your hand under the machine at tescos

pure convenience!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If it were ever to be introduced, you would have to be able to transfer money to another person, without going to a bank etc. Probably using your mobile phone or a computer. Privacy would be a problem, but don't the banks flag any payments into you account over 5k (maybe more, cannot remember) anyway. So i assume the bank could flag irregular payments, possibly crime related.

I dont see why it couldn't work, i would be fairly sure it will happen at some stage, maybe long after our lifetime, but it will happen.
    The benefits it would bring would far out weight the negatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All ready discussed at length in the conspiracy forum and is on the way to a phone shop near you..

RFID compatible NFC cellular phones should be on the market by the end of the year. All personal transactions can be conducted as well as POS at supermarket checkouts and transit smart card usage.

Used in conjunction with UPC bar codes / RFID tagging it can itemize every purchase you make and will pinpoint your location on planet earth. This will be one of the tools of the "New Global Order" to help fight "terrorism" and "crime".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfYVd3ObPA&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

If it were ever to be introduced, you would have to be able to transfer money to another person, without going to a bank etc. Probably using your mobile phone or a computer.

Yes we will have to wait until the invent internet/phone banking.

Actually, that sounds way too far fetched to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well they are talking about putting RFID chips into €100 notes too

we are getting closer all the time to emoney but for some things like the black economy you can't beat cash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd love to have something like a laser card that didn't take so long to process. The problem is that would mean the balance would probably have to be stored on the card rather than being processed each time, and no doubt you'd have scammers making dodgy cards in no time.
    delllat wrote: »
    the likes of street prostitutes would suffer though so its not viable

Depends where you swipe the card I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Cash is King.;)

well they are talking about putting RFID chips into €100 notes too

we are getting closer all the time to money but for some things like the black economy you can't beat cash
    If countries go bankrupt in the current economic climate the creditors (World bank) will force governments into eliminating cash thus weeding out the black economy. Electronic transactions will eliminate dole fraud along with any sort of crime and money laundering all at the expense of civil liberties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Privacy isn't an issue, there are plenty of ways to make transaction anonymous with simple algorithms and blind signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We'll end up using a bartering system for many things.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

galwayrush wrote: »
    Cash is King.;)
    ...unless we declare a republic.
    O' wait...! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Read first page and was wondering were RTDH was..................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Privacy isn't an issue, there are plenty of ways to make transaction anonymous with simple algorithms and blind signatures.
    The EFT is cat and mouse, the more it gets cracked the more sophisticated it gets. It started off with just signatures on our credit card transactions, then chip & pin, soon all this will be replaced with biometric thumb print / retina scanners. Dual purpose USB biometric and smart card readers are already on the market.

The only real way around the system would be back to barter, Cash will effectivly become worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

this country cant even manage real money.

this country cant even manage real money.
    It may not be our country that will be managing the next stage of money.

Advertisement