Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 3: Chicken and cider casserole with cabbage and barley

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Apologies for the lateness of this post. I forgot due to illness. That's also why there are no photos.
    This is a really versatile recipe that can be used with chicken or pig in most forms or can be kept veggie. I use Kopparberg apple cider to make it because it's a bit sweeter but any cider should work. A few months ago I asked on this forum if I should get fancy cider for cooking and the answer from pretty reliable source was don't bother.

Ingredients (to feed 2 adults with a bit of barley risotto leftover)
    1 onion peeled and finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
    1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
    1 celery stick finely chopped
    2 chicken legs or 3-4 chicken thighs depending on size
    300ml cider
    3tsp Dijon or English mustard
    1tsp honey
    1 bay leaf
    1 sprig of thyme (I add as is and fish out the deleafed twigs before serving)
    1/2cup pearl barley
    1/4 head of cabbage or as much as you like finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 170oC
    Heat a good splash of oil and a knob of butter in an oven proof dish with a lid on a low-medium heat
    Add the onions and garlic and gently fry until brown and soft
    Add the carrot and celery and sweat them with the lid on for 5 mins
    Add the cider, mustard, honey, bay and thyme and stir until the mustard and honey has dissolved
    Season to taste
    Bring to the boil and simmer until you can't smell alcohol fumes anymore (At this stage you could tip it all into a slow cooker and add the chicken and cook on medium for 8 hours adding the cabbage for the last 30mins)
    Add chicken put the lid on and put it in the oven for 30mins
    After 30mins add the barley, stir as best you can with the chicken and put back in the oven with the lid on for 20mins
    Add the cabbage to the pot but don't worry about stirring it because it will steam in the heat of the pot
    Put back in the oven for 10mins
    Serve.

Sometimes I don't add the cabbage and then would add a splash of cream or a handful of grated cheese at the end to make it extra oozy. Any leftover barley is delicious reheated or eaten at room temperature.
    Hope you enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Anna, since I've just gotten access to a slow cooker for the first time (Sparks pulled pork first on my list :D) I've simply got to try this in it also.

At what stage would I add the barley?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Now I read your post Juke I realize I never add the barley when I make it in a slow cooker. A bit of googling seems to suggest barley needs about 6hours on medium so I'd add it with the chicken. If you decide to skip to the browning steps make sure to boil off the alcohol at least because it won't evaporate in the sc as I learnt after I'd served a wine based stew to my 1 year old. Whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Sounds delicious, will give it a go for Monday's dinner. I've never actually cooked with barley before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That sounds delicious! Will make that this week. Proper comfort food, just what I need right now. I'm also very partial to cider in casseroles ;-) Somerset Sausage Casserole is a favourite in our house.

That sounds delicious! Will make that this week. Proper comfort food, just what I need right now. I'm also very partial to cider in casseroles ;-) Somerset Sausage Casserole is a favourite in our house.
    I love sausage and cider casserole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made this yesterday in the slow cooker and although this actually wasn't to my taste... my buddy really enjoyed it :D

ChewChew wrote: »
    I made this yesterday in the slow cooker and although this actually wasn't to my taste... my buddy really enjoyed it :D

Your buddy :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

FRIEND_4cc29b_979214.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made this for dinner tonight. It's my first time cooking pearl barley, I should use it more often, it's delicious. However, I did brown the chicken first prior to cooking the onion. I also added a bit of water towards the end as I thought it looked a bit too dry; I must've reduced the cider a bit too long in the beginning.
    Glad to try this recipe out, thanks Anna.

Glad you like it

• Advertisement

I made this last week, thanks anna.

I did it in the slow cooker, chicken was lovely. Meant to add barley (well I was going with quinoa) & cabbage an hour or so before serving, but completely forgot. Served it with brussels sprouts, though, so not completely at odds with the recipe.

Sauce was delicious - have frozen enough to put in another concoction I make sometime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Would this work with rice instead of barley or would it need major adjustment?

Would this work with rice instead of barley or would it need major adjustment?

Sorry for delay in replying it would work but when I made it with rice the other day it was a slightly odd combination. Next time I'm just going to use stock instead of cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Yum😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ChewChew wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I'm making this tomorrow! Quite excited! A new slow cooker recipe! :)

Advertisement